NVMe Drive Only shows Sometimes

Go to solution Solved by lilsprite,

Current mode is reading at PCIe 1.0 x4? I would check BIOS configuration and manually set M2_1 to PCIe 4.0 x4 mode

image.png.8879eba17e21bf82cfc9d8c7eea7bacc.png

Hi 

I have recently bought a Lexar Professional NM710. It's a pretty new (at least on the German market) NVMe 1.4 SSD, when it's working it does so very good.

But my issue is that it doesn't get recognized by neither windows nor the bios when I start my PC until I restart it at least once. I have seen people have similar issues, but I read through all I could find, and they all seemed to be a little Different.

My motherboard is an MSI Mag b650 tomahawk WiFi, I use another m.2 in slot 2 of what I presume are the PCIe gen 4 x4 slots. I have 3 SATA SSD's connected as well and they all get recognized on every boot. All drives get recognized at the same time, which is something I heaven't read before from people with similar issues.

I am very curious as to what could cause this, so thank you in advance for any answers.

Best regards

James 

Specs in clearer Format

main board:

MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi

Storage:

SATA SSD 3x

NVMe SSD 2x

CPU:

Ryzen 5 7600

PSU:

EVGA supernova 750w

GPU:

RTX 3070

RAM:

32Gb DDR5                                        Most of these specs are probably utterly useless for the case, but you never know

13 hours ago, JamesOrGamma said:

Hi 

I have recently bought a Lexar Professional NM710. It's a pretty new (at least on the German market) NVMe 1.4 SSD, when it's working it does so very good.

But my issue is that it doesn't get recognized by neither windows nor the bios when I start my PC until I restart it at least once. I have seen people have similar issues, but I read through all I could find, and they all seemed to be a little Different.

My motherboard is an MSI Mag b650 tomahawk WiFi, I use another m.2 in slot 2 of what I presume are the PCIe gen 4 x4 slots. I have 3 SATA SSD's connected as well and they all get recognized on every boot. All drives get recognized at the same time, which is something I heaven't read before from people with similar issues.

I am very curious as to what could cause this, so thank you in advance for any answers.

Best regards

James 

Specs in clearer Format

main board:

MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi

Storage:

SATA SSD 3x

NVMe SSD 2x

CPU:

Ryzen 5 7600

PSU:

EVGA supernova 750w

GPU:

RTX 3070

RAM:

32Gb DDR5                                        Most of these specs are probably utterly useless for the case, but you never know

Maybe the drive has a longer initialization than the BIOS allows before it goes to Windows then when you restart it maintains the initialization from the previous boot without losing power? Just a guess. 

Either way that is quite strange. I would probably check what PCIe version your M.2s are running at as well. Looks like PCI_E2 and M2_3 share bandwidth as well. Make sure you are using another slot besides M2_3. 
image.png.a6bcd43f7fae8c083dd0784ef25fc020.png

6 hours ago, lilsprite said:

Maybe the drive has a longer initialization than the BIOS allows before it goes to Windows then when you restart it maintains the initialization from the previous boot without losing power? Just a guess. 

Either way that is quite strange. I would probably check what PCIe version your M.2s are running at as well. Looks like PCI_E2 and M2_3 share bandwidth as well. Make sure you are using another slot besides M2_3. 
image.png.a6bcd43f7fae8c083dd0784ef25fc020.png

Hey

Thanks a lot for the answer. The Drive in question is In M2_1 and the Lexar software says It's running at full speed (sorry, I cannot change the language of the app) and also nothing concerning in the s.m.a.r.t section, where it shows critical errors, number of power cycles etc. I'm going to update the firmware of my other m.2 drive, a Kingston SA2000M8/1000G PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD which is installed in the M2_3 slot. I am also not using the PCI_E2 slot for anything. 

No clue if any of this helps

Thanks again for taking your time to look at this.

James

Bild_2023-04-08_182740854.png

Current mode is reading at PCIe 1.0 x4? I would check BIOS configuration and manually set M2_1 to PCIe 4.0 x4 mode

image.png.8879eba17e21bf82cfc9d8c7eea7bacc.png

• 2 weeks later...

You're totally right, how the f did I overlook that for this long

Thank you so much