AMD Driver Update

Sean-98
Go to solution Solved by Sean-98,

*UPDATE* 

For some reason the the update changed some of my global settings enabling some i don't use and changing ones i do. I use the frame rate limiter as my LG Qned Mini LED only has 120Hz refresh rate but this update reset the limit to 15 FPS which broke any game i loaded up.

If you have AMD i suggest checking your global settings after updating.

Just got a driver update - THANKS AMD!! Anyone else getting issues like this?? (every game stuck at 2 FPS) image.thumb.png.a3ad22cfec80260fe8925f8396811c42.png

GPU - Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX GAMING OC // CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3950x // RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600 Mhz 64GB DDR4 // MB - ROG STRIX X570E GAMING // PSU - Be Quite Dark Power Pro 12 1200w // Case - Phanteks P400A RGB (Mesh) // Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum // Display - LG QNED 86 (MINI LED - 120Hz - 4K) // Mouse - Corsair Dark Core Pro SE // Keyboard - Corsair K57

*UPDATE* 

For some reason the the update changed some of my global settings enabling some i don't use and changing ones i do. I use the frame rate limiter as my LG Qned Mini LED only has 120Hz refresh rate but this update reset the limit to 15 FPS which broke any game i loaded up.

If you have AMD i suggest checking your global settings after updating.

GPU - Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX GAMING OC // CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3950x // RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600 Mhz 64GB DDR4 // MB - ROG STRIX X570E GAMING // PSU - Be Quite Dark Power Pro 12 1200w // Case - Phanteks P400A RGB (Mesh) // Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum // Display - LG QNED 86 (MINI LED - 120Hz - 4K) // Mouse - Corsair Dark Core Pro SE // Keyboard - Corsair K57

1 hour ago, Sean-98 said:

Just got a driver update - THANKS AMD!! Anyone else getting issues like this?? image.thumb.png.a3ad22cfec80260fe8925f8396811c42.png

What issue are you talking about? 

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

19 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Upper right corner... 2 FPS, 1315Mhz clocks... classic FH5 cabbage.

And for the record OP: you should not use frame limiters. Your monitor will output what IT can, not what the PC can feed it. If the system is enslaved by a monitor, buddy you have bigger issues than AMD drivers to worry about...

8 minutes ago, PriitM said:

Upper right corner... 2 FPS, 1315Mhz clocks... classic FH5 cabbage.

And for the record OP: you should not use frame limiters. Your monitor will output what IT can, not what the PC can feed it. If the system is enslaved by a monitor, buddy you have bigger issues than AMD drivers to worry about...

No that's the crew 2 not FH5, 2FPS was my issue but it was the limiter breaking the game that was the issue. Im now getting 60 FPS (the crew 2 is hard limited to 60 and changing the config does not change this) im getting the full 120 in other games - Resident evil 4 remake FSR 2 enabled 4k max with ray tracing.

I'm also fairly sure the only issue with a frame limiter is it adds some lag and that's it. It stops my GPU running harder than it needs too, If my GPU is trying to render 300 frames when i will only be getting 120FPS because of my TVs output there's no point in rendering the rest.. only if i want to reduce lag as much as possible will i disable the limiter.

30 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

I updated my AMD driver this morning and everything i loaded up was at 2 FPS. It was because the update changed some of my global driver settings setting my limiter to 15FPS which broke any game i would try to load.

25 minutes ago, Sean-98 said:

No that's the crew 2 not FH5, 2FPS was my issue but it was the limiter breaking the game that was the issue. Im now getting 60 FPS (the crew 2 is hard limited to 60 and changing the config does not change this) im getting the full 120 in other games - Resident evil 4 remake FSR 2 enabled 4k max with ray tracing.

I'm also fairly sure the only issue with a frame limiter is it adds some lag and that's it. It stops my GPU running harder than it needs too, If my GPU is trying to render 300 frames when i will only be getting 120FPS because of my TVs output there's no point in rendering the rest.. only if i want to reduce lag as much as possible will i disable the limiter.

Ah my apologize. Everything looks so similar these days, hard to tell the difference.

Still, im a firm believer of not turning on any limiters and not wondering why weird FPS drops happen. Less points of failure, but im weird like that

11 minutes ago, PriitM said:

Ah my apologize. Everything looks so similar these days, hard to tell the difference.

Still, im a firm believer of not turning on any limiters and not wondering why weird FPS drops happen. Less points of failure, but im weird like that

No worries! And to each their own but you don't have my GPU (i assume) this thing is LOUD and if i can reduce that noise in any way possible i will haha 

normally an update wouldn't change the frame limiter but this time it did

now i have another problem which I'm going to have to email off about, yesterday i bought Alan wake remaster on epic but when i play it (after the into video just as i start gameplay) my graphics driver crashes every time so going to have to email remedy about it.

1 hour ago, Sean-98 said:

No worries! And to each their own but you don't have my GPU (i assume) this thing is LOUD and if i can reduce that noise in any way possible i will haha 

normally an update wouldn't change the frame limiter but this time it did

now i have another problem which I'm going to have to email off about, yesterday i bought Alan wake remaster on epic but when i play it (after the into video just as i start gameplay) my graphics driver crashes every time so going to have to email remedy about it.

got a 7900XTX, know the pains well. AMD standard practice has been to step down on driver versions (only drivers, no GUI stuff) to one that is stable. Lucky for you, you have a whole host of 2022 drivers to choose from

Hope it works out for you, 6900XT is still plenty good card

hmmm .. my 6900XT works exactly the same as it did before the driver update. No changes anywhere. Maybe you had a problem during installation or you had the factory reset option enabled?

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

4 hours ago, PriitM said:

Without a frame rate limit of any kind, you will have tearing, which looks awful. I can't see any reason to NOT limit your frame rate unless you're playing competitive multiplayer games and you're trying to get any kind of input latency advantage you can.

Ryzen 5 5600 :: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC :: MSI B550-VC :: WD SN750 :: NH-D15 :: 32GB DDR4-3200 :: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG

16 minutes ago, Satan_Prometheus said:

Without a frame rate limit of any kind, you will have tearing, which looks awful. I can't see any reason to NOT limit your frame rate unless you're playing competitive multiplayer games and you're trying to get any kind of input latency advantage you can.

Thats Vsync not frame limiter. Some articles interpret VSync as a "frame limiter" its actually an operation limiter. Where the GPU is forbidden to process an image before it has got an OK from the monitor that it has displayed the former.

Frame limiter on the other hand does not need the OK from the monitor. It just sets a soft cap on frame generation, regardless if the monitor is in sync or not. Kind of an obvious point of failure if the limiter function has some bit level oopsie. If theres other "sync" features enabled, it can cause a communications mismatch.

22 minutes ago, PriitM said:

Thats Vsync not frame limiter. Some articles interpret VSync as a "frame limiter" its actually an operation limiter. Where the GPU is forbidden to process an image before it has got an OK from the monitor that it has displayed the former.

Frame limiter on the other hand does not need the OK from the monitor. It just sets a soft cap on frame generation, regardless if the monitor is in sync or not. Kind of an obvious point of failure if the limiter function has some bit level oopsie. If theres other "sync" features enabled, it can cause a communications mismatch.

If you apply V-sync without capping the frame rate to some value below your max refresh rate, you incur a large input latency penalty, tho:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

Comparing the chart on Page 3 to the chart on Page 7 (V-sync on without a frame cap vs. V-sync on with a frame cap several fps under the max refresh rate), it's clear that the hitting the V-sync ceiling imposes a big latency penalty. For example, ~25ms of input latency with a 142 fps cap at 144Hz vs. ~43ms.

If you don't want tearing, and you also don't want to suffer the V-sync latency penalty, then VRR + V-sync on (in the control panel) + manual frame limit is the best way to go. Yeah, sometimes frame limiters do weird stuff but that is an acceptable tradeoff for having a tear-free, low-latency experience.

Ryzen 5 5600 :: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC :: MSI B550-VC :: WD SN750 :: NH-D15 :: 32GB DDR4-3200 :: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG

4 hours ago, Satan_Prometheus said:

If you apply V-sync without capping the frame rate to some value below your max refresh rate, you incur a large input latency penalty, tho:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

Comparing the chart on Page 3 to the chart on Page 7 (V-sync on without a frame cap vs. V-sync on with a frame cap several fps under the max refresh rate), it's clear that the hitting the V-sync ceiling imposes a big latency penalty. For example, ~25ms of input latency with a 142 fps cap at 144Hz vs. ~43ms.

If you don't want tearing, and you also don't want to suffer the V-sync latency penalty, then VRR + V-sync on (in the control panel) + manual frame limit is the best way to go. Yeah, sometimes frame limiters do weird stuff but that is an acceptable tradeoff for having a tear-free, low-latency experience.

Thanks to my TV i have free sync premium which helps a lot and if i ever have issues i can use AMD enhance sync which works with the limiter as they are both AMD. I only

normally use the limiter unless i have tearing in which i use the enhance sync. If all else fails i use V-sync but i avoid it if i can as my GPU driver doesn't directly manage that.

Would you have any idea as to why Alan wake remaster keeps causing a driver crash when i get to gameplay?? ive look and it seems the orginal had an issue with it and someone on reddit also had the same issue as me.. he couldn't figure it out and ended up going back to nvidia. My GPU cost me £1,100 so i cant really afford to change to a 4080.

7 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

hmmm .. my 6900XT works exactly the same as it did before the driver update. No changes anywhere. Maybe you had a problem during installation or you had the factory reset option enabled?

That is currently greyed out thanks to the glitch that can brick windows if you use factory reset while there is a windows update install happening. Everything else seems fine it just changed some settings for some reason..

14 hours ago, Sean-98 said:

Thanks to my TV i have free sync premium which helps a lot and if i ever have issues i can use AMD enhance sync which works with the limiter as they are both AMD. I only

normally use the limiter unless i have tearing in which i use the enhance sync. If all else fails i use V-sync but i avoid it if i can as my GPU driver doesn't directly manage that.

Would you have any idea as to why Alan wake remaster keeps causing a driver crash when i get to gameplay?? ive look and it seems the orginal had an issue with it and someone on reddit also had the same issue as me.. he couldn't figure it out and ended up going back to nvidia. My GPU cost me £1,100 so i cant really afford to change to a 4080.

No idea, sorry. My presumption is that if it's only a problem in this game in particular, then it's a problem with the game itself.

21 hours ago, Satan_Prometheus said:

I don't limit my frames and don't experience any tearing. Modern high refresh rate panels (144Hz+) don't really experience tearing from higher FPS. You have to present them with frame rate quite a bit lower than their refresh rate to get it. Even so most of them already have some sort of controller to help with that. 

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

3 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Modern high refresh rate panels (144Hz+) don't really experience tearing from higher FPS.

If there's no form of syncing in place (V-sync or VRR), then there will be tearing, it's literally impossible for that to not be the case. Running higher refresh rates and higher frame rates will make the tearing less apparent (since the two frames on either side of the tear will be more similar), so it might be minimized to the point that some people don't notice. Personally I'm super sensitive to it, so I still see it even at 300+ fps at 144Hz.

19 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

I don't limit my frames and don't experience any tearing. Modern high refresh rate panels (144Hz+) don't really experience tearing from higher FPS. You have to present them with frame rate quite a bit lower than their refresh rate to get it. Even so most of them already have some sort of controller to help with that. 

My TV is brand new, only 3 months old.. MINI LED 120Hz with free sync premium and i still get tearing when i unlock my framerate, hell even when i have enhanced sync on the AMD driver turned on i sill can get tearing on some older games and have no choice but to enable the game side v-sync. 

21 hours ago, Sean-98 said:

My TV is brand new, only 3 months old.. MINI LED 120Hz with free sync premium and i still get tearing when i unlock my framerate, hell even when i have enhanced sync on the AMD driver turned on i sill can get tearing on some older games and have no choice but to enable the game side v-sync. 

We were talking about monitors here. TVs are probably a decade away, at least in the mid and low tier from getting true high refresh rate over 50/60/100Hz. Everything advertised above that is just software emulation. In the high end there are SOME true 120Hz ones, but the majority (like 98% of them) are still 50/100Hz and ridden with HDMI 2.0 ports, instead of the good old DP 1.3. Those which don't have HDMI 2.1 Support are generally capable only of 60Hz max, so everything above that is just software emulation... basically DLSS/FSR frame generation. My 2021 Sony Bravia has true 120Hz display, but can only receive 60Hz max at ANY resolution. So that's why even with Advanced Sync or G-Sync or V-Sync it still gets massive tearing unless i limit the frames, but my 165Hz Asus monitor has absolutely no issues with ANY framerate. That's why i moved back from gaming on an "65 TV to "27 monitor. 

13 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

We were talking about monitors here. TVs are probably a decade away, at least in the mid and low tier from getting true high refresh rate over 50/60/100Hz. Everything advertised above that is just software emulation. In the high end there are SOME true 120Hz ones, but the majority (like 98% of them) are still 50/100Hz and ridden with HDMI 2.0 ports, instead of the good old DP 1.3. Those which don't have HDMI 2.1 Support are generally capable only of 60Hz max, so everything above that is just software emulation... basically DLSS/FSR frame generation. My 2021 Sony Bravia has true 120Hz display, but can only receive 60Hz max at ANY resolution. So that's why even with Advanced Sync or G-Sync or V-Sync it still gets massive tearing unless i limit the frames, but my 165Hz Asus monitor has absolutely no issues with ANY framerate. That's why i moved back from gaming on an "65 TV to "27 monitor. 

My TV AND GPU are HDMI 2.1 (i am also using a HDMI 2.1 certified cable) and its native refresh rate is 120Hz. Like i said i have free sync premium. TV's aren't behind, they are just mostly only now being targeted at gamers, consoles have only now been able to display over 60FPS so TV's have had no real reason to go above 60Hz and will only add price. TV's are made differently to monitors and a TV to the same spec as a high end monitor would be very pricy i believe LTT even did a video on one a few years ago. 

My TV is an LG QNED 86 MINI LED so is more than capable of keeping up with games when i use game mode to reduce delay/lag. About 85% of games are tear free but plenty still have it.