It's time for me to replace my daily driver. Welp, help me choose.

Go to solution Solved by TukangUsapEmenq,

Update. I checked out the Galaxy A34 the same day I posted this, phone arrived on May 6th, and unfortunately have to get a new 25W charger either as I don't have any PD charger that's suitable for the phone.

And this indeed a solid phone to use so far, temps is good, never managed to get it hot as I game, camera is decent (although go for A54 instead for much better camera), and thank God it's a significant upgrade from my old phone (which I still use).

So, problem solved. Thanks for whether answered the questions.

My Redmi Note 8, 4/64, starting to show it's age. Although it's still usable in normal cases, welp, it's no fun when you want to do things but can't do much multitasking as it always kill the background tasks.

Welp, the picks are between them mid-ranges. https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=12074&idPhone2=11955

Obviously, there's some pros and cons between those two, in a nutshell that I summarize below and the reasons.

1. A34 does have card slot, Note 12 Pro aren't. I plan to get the 8/256 GB version of either of these. I could live without card slot actually, but having one would've make things much more versatile as I got way more storage than the internal, and I do have FLACs on my card.
  2. OS wise, Samsung promised 3 years (for A series) of major update. Plus, I feel One UI just simply 'less whacky' than MIUI, which probably you all know sometimes the bugs are... Duh, either small that's 'meh', onto the one that's really frustrating. This is the main concern between the pick of Samsung or Redmi actually, and I want to know from you guys the best comparisons between them if possible. As, I don't game, I just use the phone as an old man daily driver (lol), whose simply want to have a good experience of using the phone.
  3. Welp, Redmi's charger are a beast tbh, but would've be pain in the ass to replace, as I know it's rather expensive to get the decent 3rd party (Anker/Aukey) if I lost it. Welp... Samsung doesn't ship with chargers but doesn't really bother me though (been using Aukey's charger + cable for nearly 4 years on my current driver, no complaints at all). I don't really care with charging speed though, I left my phone charging overnight (which, Samsung does have a good feature to limit it to 85%) anyway.
  4. A34 doesn't have 3.5 jack but Redmi does.... Idk if this is a deal breaker but.. I do have a (cheapo, yet functional and works nicely) USB DAC anyway.
  5. Other than those, it's nearly all the same. But, Xiaomi's price is cheaper, around $68 (IDR 1 mil) difference with the near-exact same specs.

So... Either of these, should I pick the more budget-friendly Redmi or, welp, kind-of expensive Samsung ?

Thanks in advance.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

37 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

My Redmi Note 8, 4/64, starting to show it's age. Although it's still usable in normal cases, welp, it's no fun when you want to do things but can't do much multitasking as it always kill the background tasks.

Welp, the picks are between them mid-ranges. https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=12074&idPhone2=11955

Obviously, there's some pros and cons between those two, in a nutshell that I summarize below and the reasons.

1. A34 does have card slot, Note 12 Pro aren't. I plan to get the 8/256 GB version of either of these. I could live without card slot actually, but having one would've make things much more versatile as I got way more storage than the internal, and I do have FLACs on my card.
  2. OS wise, Samsung promised 3 years (for A series) of major update. Plus, I feel One UI just simply 'less whacky' than MIUI, which probably you all know sometimes the bugs are... Duh, either small that's 'meh', onto the one that's really frustrating. This is the main concern between the pick of Samsung or Redmi actually, and I want to know from you guys the best comparisons between them if possible. As, I don't game, I just use the phone as an old man daily driver (lol), whose simply want to have a good experience of using the phone.
  3. Welp, Redmi's charger are a beast tbh, but would've be pain in the ass to replace, as I know it's rather expensive to get the decent 3rd party (Anker/Aukey) if I lost it. Welp... Samsung doesn't ship with chargers but doesn't really bother me though (been using Aukey's charger + cable for nearly 4 years on my current driver, no complaints at all). I don't really care with charging speed though, I left my phone charging overnight (which, Samsung does have a good feature to limit it to 85%) anyway.
  4. A34 doesn't have 3.5 jack but Redmi does.... Idk if this is a deal breaker but.. I do have a (cheapo, yet functional and works nicely) USB DAC anyway.
  5. Other than those, it's nearly all the same. But, Xiaomi's price is cheaper, around $68 (IDR 1 mil) difference with the near-exact same specs.

So... Either of these, should I pick the more budget-friendly Redmi or, welp, kind-of expensive Samsung ?

Thanks in advance.

Based on what you typed so far, The make or break seems to be pretty much the 3.5mm port.

So just get the Xiaomi and grit your teeth about MiUI.

My phone always been samsung, and IMHO, if it's about Samsung's phone. If you aren't getting the flagship, go other brand.

I've seen my family member's non flagship samsung breaks & fails way too fast too often, while mine (flagship) never.

But yeah, it's not like I have technical explanation about this, just something that I observed throughout years.

And no, pretty sure my family didn't do anything bad with it aside from using it heavily.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 hour ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Thanks in advance.

I'm a happy owner of a Samsung A52s, and I really like it for the price it cost (around 300$ or 350 swiss francs at black friday). It's got a decent SoC, a good battery and I use the 85% limiter all the time and despite charging it to these 85% daily, the battery has only lost around 2.5-3% of capacity after the 1.25 years I've been using it for. I also use Samsung's 25W "Superfast" charger that gets my battery from 0% to 85% in around 45 minutes or so. You could get the new A54, though I haven't looked up its specs at all

On 4/4/2023 at 12:47 AM, Poinkachu said:

So just get the Xiaomi

STOP suggesting this brand!  That goes for everyone who finds this post and reads it.  They are charged (Hauwei too) with the RICO act.  Please, stop!  Nobody seems to either know, or they just flat out don't give a poop.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

24 minutes ago, E-waste said:

STOP suggesting this brand!  That goes for everyone who finds this post and reads it.  They are charged (Hauwei too) with the RICO act.  Please, stop!  Nobody seems to either know, or they just flat out don't give a poop.

Pretty sure my countrymen will say :
We'll do it if you are willing to buy us Samsung & Apple. 😂

Oh shit, Apple & Samsung been charged with something too :x

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

On 4/4/2023 at 2:04 AM, DreamCat04 said:

I also use Samsung's 25W "Superfast" charger that gets my battery from 0% to 85% in around 45 minutes or so.

Just as you stop charging the phone 15% before full capacity, it is probably even MORE degrading to the battery cells to go all the way down to 0%.  This is why iPhone's don't boot when you drain the battery until they have 15% charge.

Consider having 30% as the lowest charge level if you really want that battery to last, and use:

10 watt (5v at 2 amps)

5 watt (usb 5v at 1 amp)

to extend battery capacity even more.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 4/8/2023 at 1:52 AM, E-waste said:

Just as you stop charging the phone 15% before full capacity, it is probably even MORE degrading to the battery cells to go all the way down to 0%.  This is why iPhone's don't boot when you drain the battery until they have 15% charge.

Why would it be more degrading for the cell to go to 0% from 85% compared to going from 100% down to 0%? That makes no sense at all (to me). Charging it to 85% causes less stress on the cells copared to charging it up all the way. That results in a longer lifespan. I can prove this by telling you that my battery, after 1.5 years of using it daily, has only lost around 3% of capacity, while my old phone, which I always charged to 100% each day, lost around 40% after four years and had an estimated capacity loss of 10%/year. But when I started charging it to just 80%, the estimated capacity loss went down to around 3%/year. I agree with you that discharging the battery to 0% isn't too healthy for it. but I find it unnecessary to restrict a phone from booting when it's under 15%. It's fine for the battery to be at 10% or below, but it shouldn't stay there for long, I agree with you on that. I also don't use a case for my phone and put it down onto a metal surface when I'm charging it so that the battery gets cooled while being charged quickly and it doesn't exceed 30°C.
But feel free to educate me if I'm wrong here, but that's what I have learned so far

Edited by DreamCat04

• 3 weeks later...

Update. I checked out the Galaxy A34 the same day I posted this, phone arrived on May 6th, and unfortunately have to get a new 25W charger either as I don't have any PD charger that's suitable for the phone.

And this indeed a solid phone to use so far, temps is good, never managed to get it hot as I game, camera is decent (although go for A54 instead for much better camera), and thank God it's a significant upgrade from my old phone (which I still use).

So, problem solved. Thanks for whether answered the questions.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 12:15 PM, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Thanks in advance.

hi, been hearing a lot about MIUI..............so it can make you tear your hair out ??

also, Redmi only offer 1-year warranty compared to 2-years from Oppo or Vivo..............wonder if durability is a concern ?