What are the manufacturing tolerances on the banana for scale?

NiceNick

Was watching a video which used the banana for scale and I started to wonder, what are the tolerances for the banana's for scale? Something tells me that even though it is a meme, they were taken relatively seriously. Was a metrologist involved at any stage? I just want to know.

1 hour ago, NiceNick said:

Was a metrologist involved at any stage?

I'd expect they'd be using a banana to scale the banana.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Maybe they use an orange to scale the banana for scale, you never know

Using a standard calibration banana for verification they seem a little off.  Darn, I forgot to mark my standard banana, now I don't know which one is the reference.   I do this every week and end up buying a new set.

Banana for scale.jpg

20 minutes ago, MartyS said:

Using a standard calibration banana for verification they seem a little off.  Darn, I forgot to mark my standard banana, now I don't know which one is the reference.   I do this every week and end up buying a new set.

Banana for scale.jpg

you have to use blue bananas to scale it as the blue ones are bigger than the yellow ones

As calibration bananas go from green to yellow to black I've found that their usefulness drops off considerably after the black stage.  So I've never let one get to the blue stage.  I've also read that the blue fuzz stage is rather unhealthy to have in the shop, so I'll leave it to someone else to do that measurement.

On 4/7/2023 at 10:20 AM, MartyS said:

Banana for scale.jpg

Ok, So we have identified an issue with inter-banana accuracy. Now lets look at intra-banana precision. How similar in size are bananas purchased at lttstore.com?

The banana for scale is a measuring device. So precision is important! I want to know, how close in size is my banana to yours? Is it within five millimeters, one millimeter, a micrometer? In other words, what did they decide is the acceptable margin of error when manufacturing these bananas?