Chrome OS testing/project coming soon

Brazen

doing a test setup  for college... going into programming and love the google chrome os flavor... so heres the plan.

vipr tech prebuilt gaming pc 

ryzen 5 5600g 12 core

32gb RAM (if possible,if not 16gb)

128GB NVMe SSD

1TB HDD

with Chrome OS flex instead of windows.

enable developer mode, 

enable linus.... i mean linux.

snag up vscode and visual studio.

test and see how a modern gaming pc performs with Chrome OS as opposed to the renewing an old laptop/pc route.

Secondarily begin Project Crimson while learning in school.

the idea behind crimson is to be able to modify chrome os beyond the themes option. so custom icons. names. and more.

now comes the why.

maybe you want your icons to all be anime character faces.

maybe (my case) you want to make all your icons to be red so they match your background.

maybe you want to make an alternate universe chrome book(goldbook, cobaltbook...etc.)

Why?

You are going to run Linux in a container to retrieve your software and potentially develop on.

You want to customize the Desktop Environment.

Sounds more like you just want some flavor of Linux rather than ChromeOS.

Also Visual Studio doesn't run on either OS.

• 2 weeks later...

VS code does however... running vs code on my chromebook is the reason i had this idea. others have said to go with a linux distro without offering reasons as to why I should. 

Is linux really that much better than chrome os flex?

Edit: also chrome os flex is free, as many things go in the comp-sci world the question isnt why its why not....

1 hour ago, Brazen said:

Is linux really that much better than chrome os flex?

ChromeOS is essentially a Desktop built on a Browser based on a locked down version of Gentoo Linux.

It's not really about one being better than the other however, its the fact that your going to run a more open Linux inside a container anyways, so your just adding a extra step.

1 hour ago, Brazen said:

VS code does however... running vs code on my chromebook is the reason i had this idea. others have said to go with a linux distro without offering reasons as to why I should.

Package/library Management, Development Tools, Freedom of Choice, and your going to be using a Linux container anyways.

1 hour ago, Brazen said:

also chrome os flex is free, as many things go in the comp-sci world the question isnt why its why not....

So is Linux.

I think ChromeOS is great for a person who just casually browses the web and uses Google Office, it's what it's designed for. It's not really designed to be a Development Environment or taking on non web based software, which is why you immediately headed for enabling Linux Support.

So the question becomes why run a unnecessary front-end that doesn't benefit you but will sit aside consuming unnecessary resources. Considering you mentioned "Visual Studio" which does support working with Linux but not running on Linux, Windows with Linux support (WSL) enabled would be more beneficial than ChromeOS.