System won't boot with 2 sticks of ram! Help!

TiniestNick

Asus Z690-P

Tforce 5600 ddr5

I had this problem when first building as well.

Pc will boot with either (single) stick of ram in any slot. Will NOT boot with 2 sticks in any combination! Would only boot previously with b1b2. Receive blue screen pfn_list_corrupt and now won't boot with 2.

Please, somebody help lol.

What BIOS revision are you on? A lot of the earlier BIOS revisions did have issues with DDR5 so that might be the culprit. 

Also the only slot combination that you should try using is A2 B2, anything else is very unoptimized on that board. 

I'll have to verify the BIOS revision. What should it be?

I would like to run a1b2 but it wouldn't boot in that combination... but definitely will only run that in the future once this is resolved. I only tried other slots to verify slots and sticks all worked.

10 minutes ago, TiniestNick said:

I'll have to verify the BIOS revision. What should it be?

Latest is 2212. Just because it's not the latest doesn't mean it's not good, and just because it is the latest also doesn't mean it's the best. I just want to make sure it's not a super early one like 0404 or 0605. 

10 minutes ago, TiniestNick said:

I would like to run a1b2 but it wouldn't boot in that combination

Just to make sure, is this a typo for A2B2 or did you mean A1B2 since the latter would likely cause issues. 

Also make sure to quote so we get a notification. 

5 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Latest is 2212. Just because it's not the latest doesn't mean it's not good, and just because it is the latest also doesn't mean it's the best. I just want to make sure it's not a super early one like 0404 or 0605. 

Just to make sure, is this a typo for A2B2 or did you mean A1B2 since the latter would likely cause issues. 

Also make sure to quote so we get a notification. 

My bios is 1620

I just had the exact same issue with DDR5. Bios update fixed it for me!!

What bios version did you update to? Just the latest?

Different motherboard, but yeah just the latest update.

7 hours ago, TiniestNick said:

My bios is 1620

There are a lot of newer revisions, I would do an update to see if that helps. It's not from the era where they were universally bad, but it's not uncommon for there to be BIOS revision out there that completely break memory support every once in a while, so trying one of the two newest revisions would be recommended. 

3 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

There are a lot of newer revisions, I would do an update to see if that helps. It's not from the era where they were universally bad, but it's not uncommon for there to be BIOS revision out there that completely break memory support every once in a while, so trying one of the two newest revisions would be recommended. 

So I tried the two latest versions with no luck. Can still boot with a single stick, but not two. 

8 hours ago, TiniestNick said:

So I tried the two latest versions with no luck. Can still boot with a single stick, but not two. 

That is pretty weird. Only thing I can think of is that the sticks aren't from a matching set and you're running into mixed memory issues. There are two ways to check that, CPU-Z and a program called Thaiphoon Burner. CPU-Z is quicker but it's not as precise, you want to open it up and head to the SPD tab, in there there should be a tab called DRAM Manufacturer and should show either Samsung, Micron, or SK Hynix (though IIRC there might be some issues with that readout with some DDR5, so keep that in mind). Check for both DIMMs and they're different, that's probably the issue, if they're not Hynix they should be the same, and if they're Hynix one might be M die and the other might be A die, which would involve checking in Thaiphoon Burner. To check in Thaiphoon Burner, open it up, hit read SPD, and send a screen shot of the report for each DIMM. If they look identical though, they're probably the same and the issue is somewhere else. 

I am starting to kinda run out of ideas with this though, I'm not hearing anything that should really prevent the system from turning on.