Pigtail or separate cables

Helppc
Go to solution Solved by seon123,
2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

the cable wouldn't have the pigtail connector if it wouldn't be able to handle the full load

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

The only reason the dont use pigtail thing became a thing was because of the spiking of early high power 3000 series cards

Seasonic still recommends using separate cables for graphics cards above 225W TDP, as they cut corners (even in their highest end PSUs) by using regular instead of HCS terminals (9A instead of 13A), and use 18AWG cables instead of 16AWG. So it depends on the PSU. 

https://knowledge.seasonic.com/article/8-installation-remark-for-high-power-consumption-graphics-cards

Same would go for other PSUs without HCS terminals and 16AWG cables.

The CXM 2021 specifically is fine with daisy chain, though, so it's fine in OP's case.

Hi guys,

I have bought an rtx 3060ti gpu which requires dual 8 pin connectors. The psu that I have cx 750m (2021) has cables that have the 'pig tail'. Should I connect 1 cable with the 'pigtail' or should I run two separate 8pin connectors?

Thanks in advance 

Most people will probably say seperate cables, however the cable wouldn't have the pigtail connector if it wouldn't be able to handle the full load. I've always used pigtail in the past and never ran into problems.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Most people will probably say seperate cables, however the cable wouldn't have the pigtail connector if it wouldn't be able to handle the full load. I've always used pigtail in the past and never ran into problems.

The only reason the dont use pigtail thing became a thing was because of the spiking of early high power 3000 series cards. Other than a 3080and up using a pigtails connector shouldnt even be questioned really.

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

the cable wouldn't have the pigtail connector if it wouldn't be able to handle the full load

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

The only reason the dont use pigtail thing became a thing was because of the spiking of early high power 3000 series cards

Seasonic still recommends using separate cables for graphics cards above 225W TDP, as they cut corners (even in their highest end PSUs) by using regular instead of HCS terminals (9A instead of 13A), and use 18AWG cables instead of 16AWG. So it depends on the PSU. 

https://knowledge.seasonic.com/article/8-installation-remark-for-high-power-consumption-graphics-cards

Same would go for other PSUs without HCS terminals and 16AWG cables.

The CXM 2021 specifically is fine with daisy chain, though, so it's fine in OP's case.

:)