Would you upgrade to Haswell, Ivy Bridge-E, or keep what you have?

My i7 920 is actually starting to bottleneck in a few titles, so I'll be going for haswell. It'll be nice to have a fresh system again, even if only for the lower tdp and temps.

Im probably going to go from my 3570K to a 4820K when IB-E comes out, Haswell isnt looking like a worthwile upgrade from Ivy, especially since i have a Board with massive OC potential, so all my money is going to go towards better cooling solutions.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

I'm thinking my i7 920 is getting kinda long in the tooth (5 years old at the end of the year), but I think a GPU upgrade would be more benefical atm. So I reckon I'll fork out some hard-earned on a GTX 770, when they come out, and then reevalute the CPU/Mobo/Ram situation. Though, it would be nice to have USB 3 and SATA 6Gbps.

i7 920@3.8GHZ|Gigabyte EX58-UD5 | 12G Kingston H yper X 1600 memory|Gigabyte 560ti SOC |Corsair H70 CPU Cooler|Samsung 840 EVO 500G|Corsair 600T case 

I have an E8400, but I will be upgrading to a 6 core Ivy Bridg-E in September.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I will definitely go with a Haswell chip with a Z87 Motherboard, also just something new to play with and void the warranty.

Greetings from the Netherlands!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

Running a i3-530 right now. I want to wait for Haswell but I might not have the patience. 

Sticking with my 2600K. With a 1GHz overclock on it, it won't be bottlenecking anything anytime soon. :)

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Waiting for Haswell-E.

By my estimate OCed Sandy Bridge-E will preform nearly the same as OCed Ivy Bridge-E (if the lower end chips have shown us anything). So I'll stick with my 3930k untill Haswell-E.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Not bothering to do anything with my main rig, my SB-E will last till......well, perhaps an octo-core (or more) CPU becomes mainstream.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I just bought my 3570k and I'm loving it but if I could have forced myself to wait for haswell I think I would have been happier.

and if you waited another year and a half you wouldve been happier for haswell-E... i think thats what they try to do Buyers remorse into upgrading too soon.

im gonna wait tell the have some new hex cores.. then ill be happy

Haswell ? Probably  not . Kindda wanna try AMD.

and if you waited another year and a half you wouldve been happier for haswell-E... i think thats what they try to do Buyers remorse into upgrading too soon.

im gonna wait tell the have some new hex cores.. then ill be happy

No, I bought my 3570k towards the end of its life. If I would have bought it when Ivy just came out then I wouldn't be saying I with I waited until haswell lol

Personally, as somebody building a new rig, I'm going for a Haswell i7 4770K for the better overclocking along with a 780 (which comes with the GTX TITAN heat sink! XD) The performance difference however is less than was first thought. After the release of the chip over in China there has been a short review made of the chip which WCCF tech has summarized: "At best, the benchmarks are under 5% average improvement over last years architecture." The overclocking is still a big improvement over Ivy Bridge, with someone posting a You Tube video of an 8GHz overclock (with 2 cores and 2 threads) Could be fake. Really hoping it isn't. If you plan to use on-board graphics then Haswell is for you. the intel 4600 gpu is, as some predicted, a doubling in performance over the IVB gpu. In the article they compare it to a GT 630 and it wins out in everything except fps. 

In short, if you're currently sitting on a Sandy or Ivy Bridge processor with a discrete graphics solution, then stick with it. If you're reliant on CPU graphics for whatever reason and on a lower end SB or IVB chip then it could be worth upgrading. 

Read more: http://wccftech.com/intel-haswell-core-i7-4770k-review-live-china/#ixzz2T3wyNN2G

YouTube video of 8GHz overclock: 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

By my estimate OCed Sandy Bridge-E will preform nearly the same as OCed Ivy Bridge-E (if the lower end chips have shown us anything). So I'll stick with my 3930k untill Haswell-E.

I said Haswell-E, not Ivy Bridge-E. :P  Wise choice though.

Personally, as somebody building a new rig, I'm going for a Haswell i7 4770K for the better overclocking along with a 780 (which comes with the GTX TITAN heat sink! XD) The performance difference however is less than was first thought. After the release of the chip over in China there has been a short review made of the chip which WCCF tech has summarized: "At best, the benchmarks are under 5% average improvement over last years architecture." The overclocking is still a big improvement over Ivy Bridge, with someone posting a You Tube video of an 8GHz overclock (with 2 cores and 2 threads) Could be fake. Really hoping it isn't. If you plan to use on-board graphics then Haswell is for you. the intel 4600 gpu is, as some predicted, a doubling in performance over the IVB gpu. In the article they compare it to a GT 630 and it wins out in everything except fps. 

In short, if you're currently sitting on a Sandy or Ivy Bridge processor with a discrete graphics solution, then stick with it. If you're reliant on CPU graphics for whatever reason and on a lower end SB or IVB chip then it could be worth upgrading. 

Read more: http://wccftech.com/intel-haswell-core-i7-4770k-review-live-china/#ixzz2T3wyNN2G

YouTube video of 8GHz overclock: 

One thing I am reading on other sites is that noone with a Haswell board have access to finalized bios. What they have is only beta. 

To be honest being a full time student hinders my budget so no upgrades in the near future (Unless i come across money somehow). I'm waiting for AMD to pull their finger out of their ass and make CPU's that compete with intel, even if it means AMD cpu's are more expensive than they are now. Because AMD cpu's are pretty cheap, with good reason.

I am happy with my 3570K, even if I wanted a haswell based system I don't need to.

I am happy with my 3570K, even if I wanted a haswell based system I don't need to.

Nah the 3570K is a good CPU, I think Linus in one of his videos said the Core i7-3770K performs about the same as that in games

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I may go with Haswell depending on the price; If the price is too high I go with Ivy Bridge for my next build.

My current laptop has a i7 Q 740M and that doing the job nicely, despite the fact that it only can reach 1.73Ghz/2.93Ghz with Intel Boost, or even 3.32Ghz if the temps are right.

I have yet to build my first computer so i think i am going to wait lol. but i do need to upgrade my rig so i will when  haswell comes out 

Running a laptop now. Haswell (4670K) it is for me this summer!

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

To be honest being a full time student hinders my budget so no upgrades in the near future (Unless i come across money somehow). I'm waiting for AMD to pull their finger out of their ass and make CPU's that compete with intel, even if it means AMD cpu's are more expensive than they are now. Because AMD cpu's are pretty cheap, with good reason.

AMD 8 core processors are going to be in the next gen console, so AMD may pull through as games could be utilized for 8 cores to get the full power out of the processor and that would kick Intel really hard in the backside and may force them to drop their prices dramatically. Hopeful this will happen because Intel has too much power.

Sad to say i only just got my 3930k setup because my old computer died and i needed a computer.

Was planning to wait for the 4930k or whatever. Preferably an 8 core.. but too late now. =[ im still happy though

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Depending on reviews I might just put a 3770k to replace my 2600k. I've already got a z77 motherboard and both my 670s are running at 8x 2.0