Network Issues with my HP laptop.

Aditya Deuskar

I have a HP 15s laptop with an intel i5- 10210U processor and has a Realtek b/g/n

network card in it. Past couple of months I am facing network issues with my laptop. The wifi connection drops out of nowhere, I have tried many troubleshooting steps in windows, and with my router too.  I have done a fresh windows install and even bought a new router. This issue occurs only with this device, all the other devices on my network works well. I am just not sure if I am missing any troubleshooting step. Please revert to this message if anyone could suggest any recommended troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue.

6 minutes ago, Aditya Deuskar said:

I have a HP 15s laptop with an intel i5- 10210U processor and has a Realtek b/g/n

network card in it. Past couple of months I am facing network issues with my laptop. The wifi connection drops out of nowhere, I have tried many troubleshooting steps in windows, and with my router too.  I have done a fresh windows install and even bought a new router. This issue occurs only with this device, all the other devices on my network works well. I am just not sure if I am missing any troubleshooting step. Please revert to this message if anyone could suggest any recommended troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue.

from my 10MBPS network experience, its just average wifi tomfoolery

use ethernet cable

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

Sometimes it can be the adapter power options that causes this.

Go to:

Device Manager > Network Adapters > [Your Wifi Adapter Name] > properties > Power Management Tab

And unselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Then reboot your computer.

This option is on by default on all computers and laptops since it was introduced in windows xp. This may fix your issue, it might not, however it's definitely worth a shot. I had the same issue on one of my laptops and this fixed it.

I had the same problem. check if the wifi antenna cable is connected properly.

Realtek network cards are just buggy in my experience. if you can, use a cable. 

She/Her

21 hours ago, kr5bikash said:

I had the same problem. check if the wifi antenna cable is connected properly.

so should I reconnect my wifi card and se if it resolves the issue?

3 hours ago, Aditya Deuskar said:

so should I reconnect my wifi card and se if it resolves the issue?

If the laptop is easy to open, it is worth checking if the two, sometimes three little wires that connect to it are seated properly. They are very finicky, but if plugged in correctly, they are quite secure.

Maybe check on the realtek or HP website if there is a newer driver available. The driver from Windows update could be quite old and have bugs that have been fixed in newer driver versions

Try disabling IPv6 and check the device power saving options for wifi.

Do a search for power plan / power options

get into the screen that only has two options, screen and sleep timer, for battery and plugged in.

Click "show advanced power plan settings"

This should open a rectamgle window, with about 15 settings or so.

The last one should say battery.

For the wireless power saving, try setting it to medium power save, or maximum performance.

Also, go to device manager as previously posted, expand network adapters, and right click the wifi and click properties.

Click the far right tab about power, and uncheck the top box.

If you use the mobile hotspot, you'll need to enable it, "microsoft wifi-direct virtual adapter" and do the same steps, to make sure the hotspot doesnt disconnect when idle.

Here are a few more ideas:

Disable IPv6 in your router.  Even though you use IPv4 address, your DNS server can be either or both.  This is frequently used to override the ipv4 dns server to the ISP data cache used to sell your browsing data for profit.

Try changing DNS server as well.  Cloudflare's 1.0.0.1 (defualt) and 1.0.0.2 (malware filtration) are great options.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

17 hours ago, E-waste said:

Try disabling IPv6 and check the device power saving options for wifi.

Do a search for power plan / power options

get into the screen that only has two options, screen and sleep timer, for battery and plugged in.

Click "show advanced power plan settings"

This should open a rectamgle window, with about 15 settings or so.

The last one should say battery.

For the wireless power saving, try setting it to medium power save, or maximum performance.

Also, go to device manager as previously posted, expand network adapters, and right click the wifi and click properties.

Click the far right tab about power, and uncheck the top box.

If you use the mobile hotspot, you'll need to enable it, "microsoft wifi-direct virtual adapter" and do the same steps, to make sure the hotspot doesnt disconnect when idle.

Here are a few more ideas:

Disable IPv6 in your router.  Even though you use IPv4 address, your DNS server can be either or both.  This is frequently used to override the ipv4 dns server to the ISP data cache used to sell your browsing data for profit.

Try changing DNS server as well.  Cloudflare's 1.0.0.1 (defualt) and 1.0.0.2 (malware filtration) are great options.

thanks a lot for your help.

I've recently came across a weird behavior happening with my laptop. It was downloading valorant and after some intervals the wifi (in windows. The router and other devices connected to same network were working fine) showed no internet connection... but when I switched off wifi and turned it on again, it got connected to the internet... and it is repeating this again and again. I am not sure if it is a windows issue or is anything else causing it.

There could be lots of reasons as to why this is happening. Wi-Fi isn't necessarily very reliable compared to a wired connection.

1) Make sure you're close to your modem
2) If you're using 2.4Ghz sometimes microwaves, being on can disrupt Wi-Fi
3) Concrete walls, metal walls, just thick walls and objects around your modem can lead to issues
4) Could be the Wi-Fi signal strength setting that some modems have
5) Could be you have a poor Wi-Fi adapter

It can be a lot of things... I could go on and on about all the things it might be, it's really hard to pinpoint it.

Just make sure your power plan is set correctly, make sure you follow what @E-waste mentioned, make sure your Wi-Fi drivers are up to date and stay relatively close to your modem.

If your modem and devices support it, try using 5Ghz connection.

I think the problem is with my laptop's wifi card. I am thinking of replacing it with an intel card which can support 5GHz as well.

Can anyone please suggest me some reliable wifi cards for laptop?

I use a 50mbps connection so the wifi card doesn't need to be verry high end or latest generation.... I just want it to be reliable and support 5GHz as well.

15 hours ago, Aditya Deuskar said:

I think the problem is with my laptop's wifi card. I am thinking of replacing it with an intel card which can support 5GHz as well.

Can anyone please suggest me some reliable wifi cards for laptop?

I use a 50mbps connection so the wifi card doesn't need to be verry high end or latest generation.... I just want it to be reliable and support 5GHz as well.

Have you tried pinging your computers assigned I.P address multiple times? If it keeps dropping packets, or "timing out", then that is a strong indication that the network adapter is defective. Try this here:

Example: ping -n 100 10.0.0.13

I'm pinging my own PC 100 times, is what this means. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

On 4/2/2023 at 7:49 AM, Aditya Deuskar said:

To quickly see what wifi frequency is used:

Windows settings app > network

Status page.  Click "properties" which shows some wifi information, and it will show whether you are using 2.4 or 5Ghz.

To change your wifi adapter settings to maybe choose 5Ghz if it supports it:

In network settings, select change adapter options.

This opens up a window listing wifi and ethernet.

Right click wifi and click properties--this is far different than the screen shown in windows settings.

This opens a small window with various settings, first, uncheck IPv6 and click OK.  Then go bsck into that window as described.

Click configure on the right, and that too will open up another similar window.

Click advanced, and look at the bottom option, wireless mode.

Wireless - N can, but for this setting, usually does not enable 5Ghz.  Wireless-AC will usually do so, if your computer supports it.

Try

802.11ac

as the wireless mode.  The rest will usually give you 2.4Ghz.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.