Pc Crashed Mid Game - Wont Boot Anymore

jackmkendall

Hi all, today I was playing video games - cities skylines nothing crazy and around 30min into gaming my computer crashed, frozen screen, then no signal. I then tried to reboot computer but I never got a signal back

things ive tried: 

using hdmi cable rather than my display cable

reseeding the GPU

unplugging power cable then rebooting

reseeting all ram sticks (4)

booting computer without gpu (hdmi into motherboard)

different monitor

swapped nvme for ssd 

when the crash happened, I didnt hear any weird noises or anything. power in my house was normal.

when I try to turn my pc back on now, it turns on, rgb lights up (most important part) , fans go to full speed, and things look normal. fans slow down after initial boost and the motherboard diagnostic light goes from red, to orange to solid white durring boot. if I try to then turn the computer off with the power button it immediately shuts off, rather than taking 3-5 seconds to shut of like normal

these are my specs ( all bought new)

ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 LGA1700(Intel® 12th Gen)

Intel CPU Core i7-12700F

3080 founders addition 

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB)

Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB

Corsair iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT, 240mm Radiator

Corsair RM Series, RM850, 850 Watt, 80+ Gold

1 minute ago, jackmkendall said:

Hi all, today I was playing video games - cities skylines nothing crazy and around 30min into gaming my computer crashed, frozen screen, then no signal. I then tried to reboot computer but I never got a signal back

things ive tried: 

using hdmi cable rather than my display cable

reseeding the GPU

unplugging power cable then rebooting

reseeting all ram sticks (4)

booting computer without gpu (hdmi into motherboard)

different monitor

swapped nvme for ssd 

when the crash happened, I didnt hear any weird noises or anything. power in my house was normal.

when I try to turn my pc back on now, it turns on, rgb lights up (most important part) , fans go to full speed, and things look normal. fans slow down after initial boost and the motherboard diagnostic light goes from red, to orange to solid white durring boot. if I try to then turn the computer off with the power button it immediately shuts off, rather than taking 3-5 seconds to shut of like normal

these are my specs ( all bought new)

ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 LGA1700(Intel® 12th Gen)

Intel CPU Core i7-12700F

3080 founders addition 

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB)

Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB

You do realize you bought an F CPU, which does not have an IGPU so connecting the HDMI to the Motherboard wont do anything.

Generally when this happens panicking is the last thing to do. Did you fully unplug the system? Have you tried it on a different outlet? Taking everything out piece by piece  can be helpful, but can also not be, depends on what step of the troubleshooting process your on.

What is your CPU Cooler? 

Generally the computer will instantly power off when pressed during POST, or while on the motherboard splash screen, or in bios. The 3-5 Seconds stuff generally is when its booted into an OS.

no magic smoke smell?

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

25 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

You do realize you bought an F CPU, which does not have an IGPU so connecting the HDMI to the Motherboard wont do anything.

Generally when this happens panicking is the last thing to do. Did you fully unplug the system? Have you tried it on a different outlet? Taking everything out piece by piece  can be helpful, but can also not be, depends on what step of the troubleshooting process your on.

What is your CPU Cooler? 

Generally the computer will instantly power off when pressed during POST, or while on the motherboard splash screen, or in bios. The 3-5 Seconds stuff generally is when its booted into an OS.

Ah I see, got it.

When you say unplug do you mean like power cable? or like each individual cable inside the pc. I just tried it on a different outlet and same issue persisted. I also unplugged and replugged every cable inside the case.

my cpu cooler is Corsair iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT, 240mm Radiator

also my power supply is Corsair RM Series, RM850, 850 Watt, 80+ Gold

12 minutes ago, jackmkendall said:

Ah I see, got it.

When you say unplug do you mean like power cable? or like each individual cable inside the pc. I just tried it on a different outlet and same issue persisted. 

my cpu cooler is Corsair iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT, 240mm Radiator

also my power supply is Corsair RM Series, RM850, 850 Watt, 80+ Gold

Yes the power plug. Generally this can resolve a good amount of the issues, unplugging it and then seeing if it boots. Hrmm if its the same issue on a different outlet thats not a great sign. 

With the POST Error lights, can you see if it keeps selecting CPU, DRAM, VGA or BOOT

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Yes the power plug. Generally this can resolve a good amount of the issues, unplugging it and then seeing if it boots. Hrmm if its the same issue on a different outlet thats not a great sign. 

With the POST Error lights, can you see if it keeps selecting CPU, DRAM, VGA or BOOT

right after hitting power button, it goes cpu (red) 1 sec, then dram(orange ).5sec,  nothing for 1.5 sec, then vga (white) forever after.

4 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Do you have another GPU you can try? 

sadly no

Just now, Shimejii said:

Than its pretty much youll have to ask a friend or bring it somewhere that it can be tested.

what does the post lights mean in my scenario. why is the gpu the most probable reason? thx 

in past experience the cpu/motherboard would always be my issue. thx

8 minutes ago, jackmkendall said:

what does the post lights mean in my scenario. why is the gpu the most probable reason? thx 

in past experience the cpu/motherboard would always be my issue. thx

POST (power on self test) codes  are determining what the issue is if there is one, In your instance its getting hanged up on the VGA, which is GPU . If it was a CPU Issue, the light would be on CPU, if it was a DRAM/MOBO issue, it would be on DRAM. 

okay, thanks for the help, thankfully my 3080 is a founders so I messaged Invidia, to give me a replacement for free under warranty. I hope they are not dicks they they normally are 🙂

thx for the help. will update if the gpu isnt the problem