7900X3D not posting.

qiTsuk

I am very sad.

I just build my system today, consisting of a 7900X3D, an X670 Aorus Elite AX, 64Gb DDR5 (2x32)(That are on the QVC list for the mobo) and my 3080Ti.

However, when I press the power button, everything comes to life, but then nothing more happens. The CPU led lights up for a second and then the DRAM led turns on, shining bright static red. I've attempted with a single stick of ram (each of them) in all the different sockets, to no avail. I've updated the BIOS to no avail. I've triple checked, that there are no bent pins on the mobo. I don't know what else to look for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20 minutes ago, qiTsuk said:

I am very sad.

I just build my system today, consisting of a 7900X3D, an X670 Aorus Elite AX, 64Gb DDR5 (2x32)(That are on the QVC list for the mobo) and my 3080Ti.

However, when I press the power button, everything comes to life, but then nothing more happens. The CPU led lights up for a second and then the DRAM led turns on, shining bright static red. I've attempted with a single stick of ram (each of them) in all the different sockets, to no avail. I've updated the BIOS to no avail. I've triple checked, that there are no bent pins on the mobo. I don't know what else to look for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How long have you been waiting for POST? Exceeding 10 minutes? My 7950x3D took like 5 minutes to POST first time around.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Yes, going on 30 minutes now... My understanding is that during memory training it is supposed to alternate between the CPU led and the DRAM led. But it's just static on the DRAM led. Also, i can't turn it off by holding the power button. I habe to cut power on the PSU to get it to turn off.

22 minutes ago, qiTsuk said:

Yes, going on 30 minutes now... My understanding is that during memory training it is supposed to alternate between the CPU led and the DRAM led. But it's just static on the DRAM led. Also, i can't turn it off by holding the power button. I habe to cut power on the PSU to get it to turn off.

Did you update the firmware using the no POST system before POSTing first? I rock an x670e Aorus Master with my 7950x3D and updating the firmware was a chore. The only way that worked was the no POST q-flash using the rear button, but I did make sure everything POST before then.

Might be worth clearing the CMOS, either through a button/short or removing the CR2032. 

My 7950x3D and x670e Aorus Master build had some really wonky stuff happen for the first week with POST/BOOT behavior, which forced me to flush it a few times. I only ever had to do a dry power on, never had to mess with CMOS, but worth testing before you chop it up to DOA hardware.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Id try another set of ram sticks.  If its stuck as red on DRAM - without the owners manual in front of me - tells me its not accepting the RAM to post - have another stick to try?

And the skew was on the QVL?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I didn't. I built it, expecting it to work, plugged it in and got the same error as now. Then I did a q flash to the latest version of the firmware. As a last ditch effort, I am gonna try rolling back the BIOS to the F3 revision. If it still won't work, I might have to send it back. I seriously hope I haven't bent any pins (but I really can't see that I have).

2 minutes ago, qiTsuk said:

I didn't. I built it, expecting it to work, plugged it in and got the same error as now. Then I did a q flash to the latest version of the firmware. As a last ditch effort, I am gonna try rolling back the BIOS to the F3 revision. If it still won't work, I might have to send it back. I seriously hope I haven't bent any pins (but I really can't see that I have).

Its possible the initial RAM training didn't work properly. I'd mess with CMOS and see if you just need to have that flushed, even if it involves removing the CR2032 battery.

Like I mentioned, I had a bunch of weird issues of the sorts in the first week. Reboots that wouldn't POST and required a manual restart, random GPU POST errors on the mobo, etc.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Id try another set of ram sticks.  If its stuck as red on DRAM - without the owners manual in front of me - tells me its not accepting the RAM to post - have another stick to try?

And the skew was on the QVL?

DDR5 is quite expensive still, so I dont have another set lying around. But yes, the RAM is on the QVL for the board.

26 minutes ago, qiTsuk said:

DDR5 is quite expensive still, so I dont have another set lying around. But yes, the RAM is on the QVL for the board.

Brand or skew (Module PN) is on the QVL?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X670-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-10/support#support-memsup

Id also mess around with CMOS if it is (module PN) on the QVL.  

Then Id reseat the CPU

Then Id probably say F it and send back the board

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

2 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Brand or skew (Module PN) is on the QVL?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X670-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-10/support#support-memsup

Id also mess around with CMOS if it is (module PN) on the QVL.  

Then Id reseat the CPU

Then Id probably say F it and send back the board

Seeing as I've now flashed the BIOS twice, I've reseated the CPU a couple of times. I've cleared CMOS several times, with the button and by shorting the pins (I'm not sure where to find the battery). I think I will have to return it. #sadge

22 minutes ago, qiTsuk said:

Seeing as I've now flashed the BIOS twice, I've reseated the CPU a couple of times. I've cleared CMOS several times, with the button and by shorting the pins (I'm not sure where to find the battery). I think I will have to return it. #sadge

I’d first try a new set of RAM. If it doesn’t work, I’d change the motherboard. Had issues with an MSI X670E Carbon WIFI for 10 days or so until I said fuck it and swapped for an ASUS Strix X670E-E. All problems were magically gone, so my suggestion to you is the same board in case you get to the point of swapping it.

34 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I’d first try a new set of RAM. If it doesn’t work, I’d change the motherboard. Had issues with an MSI X670E Carbon WIFI for 10 days or so until I said fuck it and swapped for an ASUS Strix X670E-E. All problems were magically gone, so my suggestion to you is the same board in case you get to the point of swapping it.

But going out a new set of ram in the hopes that they work, is not exactly in my budget. But the thing is, what the hell am I supposed to send back? I don't know which of the parts are faulty. Could be the board, could be the ram or even the CPU itself. Think I'm gonna call the vendor tomorrow and see what they have to say.

2 minutes ago, qiTsuk said:

But going out a new set of ram in the hopes that they work, is not exactly in my budget. But the thing is, what the hell am I supposed to send back? I don't know which of the parts are faulty. Could be the board, could be the ram or even the CPU itself. Think I'm gonna call the vendor tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Unless the vendor is able to bench your system for a test, swapping parts individually, there’s no way they can tell what is going on for sure. My guess is that he will ask you to try a couple things first, and if it doesn’t work to bring it in. I may be wrong, but I don’t think the CPU is the issue, and the motherboard and RAM just don’t work well together.

10 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Unless the vendor is able to bench your system for a test, swapping parts individually, there’s no way they can tell what is going on for sure. My guess is that he will ask you to try a couple things first, and if it doesn’t work to bring it in. I may be wrong, but I don’t think the CPU is the issue, and the motherboard and RAM just don’t work well together.

That might be, but I looked it up, and the RAM are on the updated QVL list, so it should work. But again, I am calling them today, and then I'll see what they have to say!