Added SSD to Motherboard, Lost Second GPU

Hello all,

I have a TRX40 Aorus extreme motherboard.  
Currently I have two 2070 supers (nvlink) on the first two PCI Express slots (x16 for the first slot, and x8 for the second slot).  The first M2 slot (between the two cards) currently houses my operating system hard drive (windows).  An optane 905 using a M.2 to U.2 converter cable.  It has worked fine for a couple years.

Im trying to install a second operating system (linux), and decided to use the second M2 slot underneath the second gpu.  When I tried to boot after adding the hard drive, it is no longer seeing the second gpu, which leads me to think that Ive already capped out on the PCI express bus distribution.  
Is there a workaround for this?  Or do I have to try and use a different M.2 slot on my motherboard.  

I read somewhere that I could try and reduce the lanes going to the second graphics card to 4, but I'm not sure that's a good idea in the first place.

Any tips are appreciated!
Best,
J

14 minutes ago, jtk700cln said:

Hello all,

I have a TRX40 Aorus extreme motherboard.  
Currently I have two 2070 supers (nvlink) on the first two PCI Express slots (x16 for the first slot, and x8 for the second slot).  The first M2 slot (between the two cards) currently houses my operating system hard drive (windows).  An optane 905 using a M.2 to U.2 converter cable.  It has worked fine for a couple years.

Im trying to install a second operating system (linux), and decided to use the second M2 slot underneath the second gpu.  When I tried to boot after adding the hard drive, it is no longer seeing the second gpu, which leads me to think that Ive already capped out on the PCI express bus distribution.  
Is there a workaround for this?  Or do I have to try and use a different M.2 slot on my motherboard.  

I read somewhere that I could try and reduce the lanes going to the second graphics card to 4, but I'm not sure that's a good idea in the first place.

Any tips are appreciated!
Best,
J

4x 3.0 or 4x 4.0 should be sufficient for a 2070S.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_trx40-aorus-xtreme_1001_e.pdf?v=1a9e17aaf4b577dd913b4d5b8fc4f319

Motherboard manuals are OP, maybe try setting your other 2070S' to 8x and see if that resolves it. Shouldn't need more than 8x 4.0 for anything other than like a 4090.

image.png.95d02c1f3fee2b75a677ece476ffe51c.png

image.png.a568d218e253260168ffc016c632f0de.png

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Thanks Agall!
Really helpful info. 
Ill try to set the initial pcie to x8 and see if that sorts it after work today :).