Is it possible to use another dGPU as NVIDIA P106-100 display output?

Go to solution Solved by naz.rin,
On 6/8/2023 at 7:44 PM, unamed666 said:

Can u tell me if its work? I really want to know

yes it works! but you can only install 472.12 driver since that the only latest one that can support kepler and maxwell at the same time. and you need to modify the display GPU as power efficient GPU. You can search on google how to do that by searching "enable mshybrid registry"

I know that I need an iGPU to play games on P106-100 (I do have one) but I am curious if I can use another dGPU instead. So right now I'm using GTX 650 Ti and there is a seller who sell P106-100 for only US$30. So I'm really interested to buy one. But the problem is I will lose my CPU overclock if I enable the iGPU (Skylake non-K OC on Z170). So I wonder if I can use my 650 Ti as display output instead.

yes but you will be straight struggling with drivers trying to get both to work since the 650 runs an old driver

I don't recommend this path unless you really like tinkering with stuff more than actually using your computer. Nvidia has fought hard to limit support for methods to use those mining cards for anything else - each new driver comes with a good chance that it will break whatever method you find that works for now, assuming you can even get it working at all.

If you are really strapped for cash, I'd just keep waiting. In theory, once this generation's mid-range starts to come out, the price of old GTX 1060s and RX 580s is going to keep dropping. You can already sometimes find RX 570 cards available used on eBay for $50 if you're patient. In the meantime, you can keep saving and maybe pull the trigger on a good deal if you can find one.

19 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

yes but you will be straight struggling with drivers trying to get both to work since the 650 runs an old driver

I do have a 1030 on another computer. It's the same generation as P106-100. So will it just works if I use that card?

7 minutes ago, naz.rin said:

I do have a 1030 on another computer. It's the same generation as P106-100. So will it just works if I use that card?

I would try the 650 in that case if you already have both and just be prepared to go the 1030 route if it doesnt work. 

yeah it shouldnt be a problem if you have win10 or 11, just go to advanced display settings and chose the high performance gpu. 

Actually that may be interesting, not sure how windows will distinguish which is the power saving gpu. Worst case you would set it in Nvidia control panel. 

23 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I don't recommend this path unless you really like tinkering with stuff more than actually using your computer. Nvidia has fought hard to limit support for methods to use those mining cards for anything else - each new driver comes with a good chance that it will break whatever method you find that works for now, assuming you can even get it working at all.

If you are really strapped for cash, I'd just keep waiting. In theory, once this generation's mid-range starts to come out, the price of old GTX 1060s and RX 580s is going to keep dropping. You can already sometimes find RX 570 cards available used on eBay for $50 if you're patient. In the meantime, you can keep saving and maybe pull the trigger on a good deal if you can find one.

actually, yeah. i spent my time on tinkering more than actually using this computer LOL. The seller actually said that 531.29 was compatible for this mining GPU with some modification. The seller also would guide on how to install the driver. the only drawback is that I can't play valorant since vanguard don't like modded GPU driver. which is fine for me since I only play single player games.

yeah, i can save some money, but I really curious with this card especially for its price to performance. RX 570/580 4GB cards were used to be around $60-70 in my country when the ETH change to PoS. but since last month, i didn't know why the price went up to $70-80.

2 minutes ago, naz.rin said:

actually, yeah. i spent my time on tinkering more than actually using this computer LOL. The seller actually said that 531.29 was compatible for this mining GPU with some modification. The seller also would guide on how to install the driver. the only drawback is that I can't play valorant since vanguard don't like modded GPU driver. which is fine for me since I only play single player games.

yeah, i can save some money, but I really curious with this card especially for its price to performance. RX 570/580 4GB cards were used to be around $60-70 in my country when the ETH change to PoS. but since last month, i didn't know why the price went up to $70-80.

If you're getting this because you find such tinkering to be fun, then that's fine. I just want you to go in with realistic expectations. It's not going to "just work" and let you get on with gaming - expect to fight with the drivers trying to get it to work, and then expect inconsistent performance and bugs to be common. But if that's the sort of fighting you find fun, and you think the risk is exciting, then go for it! 😉

7 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

I would try the 650 in that case if you already have both and just be prepared to go the 1030 route if it doesnt work. 

yeah it shouldnt be a problem if you have win10 or 11, just go to advanced display settings and chose the high performance gpu. 

Actually that may be interesting, not sure how windows will distinguish which is the power saving gpu. Worst case you would set it in Nvidia control panel. 

You can enable MsHybrid In the registry for both cards and set it 2 for the card you want to be used as integrated graphics (low power) and 1 for the Gpu you want to function as your performance gpu. Then you open  Nvidia control panel and Choose High performance graphics.image.png.2cc35ec8ea259a4c6da6b738fd804352.png

15 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

If you're getting this because you find such tinkering to be fun, then that's fine. I just want you to go in with realistic expectations. It's not going to "just work" and let you get on with gaming - expect to fight with the drivers trying to get it to work, and then expect inconsistent performance and bugs to be common. But if that's the sort of fighting you find fun, and you think the risk is exciting, then go for it! 😉

Yup, I know that it Will not "just works". Thanks for your suggestion!

15 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

7 hours ago, RPK_R5 said:

You can enable MsHybrid In the registry for both cards and set it 2 for the card you want to be used as integrated graphics (low power) and 1 for the Gpu you want to function as your performance gpu. Then you open  Nvidia control panel and Choose High performance graphics.image.png.2cc35ec8ea259a4c6da6b738fd804352.png

I Will try it with your instruction. I Will give an update If I got it working.

19 hours ago, naz.rin said:

Use the igpu its by far the better solution as 2 nvidia cards is a disaster with these hacks

I mean its a disaster none the less as this stuff is super unstable and you are using a far older driver that doesnt work well for a bunch of since then released games

70$ gets you a rx480 8gb hell 60$ even and its also faster dont fall for the mining gpu conversion bs

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Use the igpu its by far the better solution as 2 nvidia cards is a disaster with these hacks

I mean its a disaster none the less as this stuff is super unstable and you are using a far older driver that doesnt work well for a bunch of since then released games

70$ gets you a rx480 8gb hell 60$ even and its also faster dont fall for the mining gpu conversion bs

Yeah, I will use iGPU if I can't make it work with those dGPU. Although I will loose +1.1GHz OC on my i7-6700.

Sadly, RX 480/580 8GB cards in my country are around $85-100. The 4GB cards not much better around $70-80. I also like to try tinkering with this card.

• 2 months later...

On 3/21/2023 at 12:44 PM, jaslion said:

I tested this and it's not true, it runs better with two Nvidia gpus because the igpu is a huge bottleneck. Using your Igpu is such a huge bottleneck that it meant I had to turn the graphics from high to low in some games. 

On 6/8/2023 at 7:44 PM, unamed666 said:

yes it works! but you can only install 472.12 driver since that the only latest one that can support kepler and maxwell at the same time. and you need to modify the display GPU as power efficient GPU. You can search on google how to do that by searching "enable mshybrid registry"

• 3 months later...
On 6/14/2023 at 7:54 PM, naz.rin said:

with gtx 650 or gt 1030 ????

On 9/30/2023 at 10:58 PM, Khushalz said:

with gtx 650 or gt 1030 ????

With 650 Ti. You can use latest driver with 1030 since both 1030 and 1060 are maxwell