Ryzen 7700 (Non-X) RAM compatibility

Is there a specific type/brand of RAM this CPU likes, Ive had some real issues with corsair vengeance 6000Mhz on the platform. Unstable EXPO overclocking and general issues.

Wondering if anyone knows of a kit they know is rock solid?

I also do not under stand CL timings at all... I dont understand why I would want CL36 instead of CL40 etc etc. 

7 minutes ago, Mackie said:

Is there a specific type/brand of RAM this CPU likes, Ive had some real issues with corsair vengeance 6000Mhz on the platform. Unstable EXPO overclocking and general issues.

I also do not under stand CL timings at all... I dont understand why I would want CL36 instead of CL40 etc etc. 

The Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 5600MHz CL36 works without any problems with my 7700x with EXPO running, no problem.  Its not really down to the CPU as much as the motherboard being compatible ( Check your motherboards QVL / Memory compatability ) on their website. The lower CL the better, so you want fast mhz and low cl. There is a point of diminishing returns and stability issues of course.  Dont confuse DDR4 with DDR5 timings, they are completely different.

What motherboard do you have? That can also make a difference.

As for timings, lower is better. There might be an odd sub-timing that is measured in actual time or some other way, but for the vast majority of timings, it's measured in number of clock cycles - fewer clock cycles = faster.

9 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

What motherboard do you have? That can also make a difference.

As for timings, lower is better. There might be an odd sub-timing that is measured in actual time or some other way, but for the vast majority of timings, it's measured in number of clock cycles - fewer clock cycles = faster.

I returned all the parts because I had issues with 2 motherboards and Vengeance 6000MHz CL36 Kits (32GB)
GIGABYTE B650 Gaming AX
ASUS ROG Strix B650-A Gaming WiFi

If you want to minimize complications, buy an EXPO kit. If anything opening all the Zen4 memory issues threads has told me. 

My GSkill 6000CL30 EXPO kit has been flawless. 

34 minutes ago, Mackie said:

I use G. Skill Neo RGB 2x16gb 6000 CL32 on AMD EXPO with a 7700x and an ASUS Strix X670E-E board. It’s rock solid. If it helps, the rest of my PC specs can be viewed by visiting my profile.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_3870&item_id=227126

I have the ASUS B650E-I STRIX motherboard, and the G.Skill Fury F5-6000J3238F16G (32GB total) - Uses non-Samsung memory (prob: Hynix)

With EXPO-II it has been a tank... But only with BIOS version 0821 (didn't try older ones). The newer BIOS, version 1222, like most (it seems) basically totally breaks memory compatibility, and the system only works with force memory training at startup (so, super slow startup) or using base speed (no EXPO).

Looking online, ASUS seems to have royally screwed up memory compatibility with the latest BIOS, and so far, no word from ASUS on the issue. Also, their QVL memory support is outdated. The RAM listed are only sold in select markets or discontinued. They haven't updated it since the first X670 board were out (same list as B650 series).

So, if you have an ASUS board, try and downgrade the BIOS to it's older version (whatever version it is for your board) and see if it helps.

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I have the ASUS B650E-I STRIX motherboard, and the G.Skill Fury F5-6000J3238F16G (32GB total) - Uses non-Samsung memory (prob: Hynix)

With EXPO-II it has been a tank... But only with BIOS version 0821 (didn't try older ones). The newer BIOS, version 1222, like most (it seems) basically totally breaks memory compatibility, and the system only works with force memory training at startup (so, super slow startup) or using base speed (no EXPO).

Looking online, ASUS seems to have royally screwed up memory compatibility with the latest BIOS, and so far, no word from ASUS on the issue. Also, their QVL memory support is outdated. The RAM listed are only sold in select markets or discontinued. They haven't updated it since the first X670 board were out (same list as B650 series).

So, if you have an ASUS board, try and downgrade the BIOS to it's older version (whatever version it is for your board) and see if it helps.

This is great information. What would you say is the most failsafe board to go for 

7 hours ago, Mackie said:

This is great information. What would you say is the most failsafe board to go for 

My system is mini-ITX. The board selection is very limited (only 1 or 2 for the large manufacturer only). So, I only looked into those. I can't answer your question.

All, I can say, is that ITX boards costs a lot more money due to lower production runs, and higher cost of components (they have to use smaller and better components (or better one, allowing them to use fewer of them), which all contributes to a higher price, and not necessarily translate to more stability or reliability to you. Let's not even mention, lower competition in that space, as well, also contributes in higher prices.

Good ITX boards is relatively a new things. For the longest time, ITX form factor consumers were stuck with budget, entry level, boards. Space optimization is a big challenge for board manufacturers as well. And getting it right is also difficult.

If you can get a larger board, do so.

But before doing anything, try an older or newer BIOS version l, and see if your problem has been resolved.