Unable to Share Printer on Network

Here's a real head scratcher : I have an old pc running on windows 7 Small Business Edition that I upgrade to 10. I'm planning to use it as a  printer server pc. After installing the driver for the printer on my print server pc, I shared the printer and thought that was it.  However, when i got back to my own pc that's running on windows 11, I can see the print server pc in my network, but when I try to access it, it asked me for username and password although i already disabled password protected sharing in the print server pc. When I finally managed to access the print server pc, I can see the shared printer but when I click on connect, it throws an error.

print server 1.jpg

print server 2.jpg

print server 3.jpg

2 hours ago, cursebreaker said:

Here's a real head scratcher : I have an old pc running on windows 7 Small Business Edition that I upgrade to 10. I'm planning to use it as a  printer server pc. After installing the driver for the printer on my print server pc, I shared the printer and thought that was it.  However, when i got back to my own pc that's running on windows 11, I can see the print server pc in my network, but when I try to access it, it asked me for username and password although i already disabled password protected sharing in the print server pc. When I finally managed to access the print server pc, I can see the shared printer but when I click on connect, it throws an error.

print server 1.jpg

print server 2.jpg

print server 3.jpg

under security add everyone. 

EDIT: for simplicity all rights. 

EDIT2: if it still don't work, turn off firewall on the printer computer. 

On 3/16/2023 at 4:59 PM, Robchil said:

under security add everyone. 

EDIT: for simplicity all rights. 

EDIT2: if it still don't work, turn off firewall on the printer computer. 

I am now able to access the printer pc. I couldnt find it under network but manually keying in the IP works. I can access a shared folder which i created called Scans, but I still cant access the printer. a window pops up asking me for credentials but nothing works. Firewall is off.

image.png.9f0d585e746b8982a20626b480937786.pngimage.png.da0e4527458d78503a1c7c83ac3dc61e.png

1 hour ago, cursebreaker said:

I am now able to access the printer pc. I couldnt find it under network but manually keying in the IP works. I can access a shared folder which i created called Scans, but I still cant access the printer. a window pops up asking me for credentials but nothing works. Firewall is off.

image.png.9f0d585e746b8982a20626b480937786.pngimage.png.da0e4527458d78503a1c7c83ac3dc61e.png

when sharing printer it's a few things you need  to do correctly. 

share and security both need everyone added, for simplicity give full rights to both. AND correct driver has to be added for your system. 

sounds like your share doesn't have everyone added yet. if you did it in security. 

2 hours ago, Robchil said:

when sharing printer it's a few things you need  to do correctly. 

share and security both need everyone added, for simplicity give full rights to both. AND correct driver has to be added for your system. 

sounds like your share doesn't have everyone added yet. if you did it in security. 

Permission is set for everyone. Firewall if off

image.png.c939202bcadd1c4b50f5aa8ac86cbd61.pngimage.png.7eabd5fa0de54231a70e0df761840582.png

25 minutes ago, cursebreaker said:

Permission is set for everyone. Firewall if off

image.png.c939202bcadd1c4b50f5aa8ac86cbd61.pngimage.png.7eabd5fa0de54231a70e0df761840582.png

and what are the share settings? 

btw.. if you write "./administrator" as user it should be local administrator on that system. 

and.. since they are not in domain.. you might have to add Anonymous logon to print in security rights. 

after win 7 they got anoying and changed how "everyone" worked.. 

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

and what are the share settings? 

btw.. if you write "./administrator" as user it should be local administrator on that system. 

and.. since they are not in domain.. you might have to add Anonymous logon to print in security rights. 

after win 7 they got anoying and changed how "everyone" worked.. 

Here's more screeenshots of the settings

image.png.ffab8e481ecaae87b0691bf0bb7c3da0.pngimage.png.0bc7c9216b527bc969c796b87ff6b769.pngimage.png.c404e3d5f603838006de6b5fd294a4d5.pngimage.png.fb99a0b76846a0ef7f2881c37f4b7c4c.png

"you might have to add Anonymous logon to print in security rights"

How do I add Anonymous logon to print in security rights?

Really appreciate you trying to help btw

31 minutes ago, cursebreaker said:

Here's more screeenshots of the settings

image.png.ffab8e481ecaae87b0691bf0bb7c3da0.pngimage.png.0bc7c9216b527bc969c796b87ff6b769.pngimage.png.c404e3d5f603838006de6b5fd294a4d5.pngimage.png.fb99a0b76846a0ef7f2881c37f4b7c4c.png

"you might have to add Anonymous logon to print in security rights"

How do I add Anonymous logon to print in security rights?

Really appreciate you trying to help btw

under security, press add, and type anon and press search.. it should pop up select it and click ok 

It might be after XP where everyone wasn't everyone anymore.. it was only everyone on that computer, OR everyone in the domain if you have one. 

you can connect to your pc and save user name and password from your pc. (means pcname/user). 

i usually only deal in network printers and or domain computers.