Just realized kind of dumb mistake

TetraHydro

I built my first pc with a rog z 690e gaming mb with a i9 12900k and 4080 gpu, i realized my gpu is only running in x8 due to my m.2 slot i used for OS is using the same bus as GPU, my Question is can i just switch the OS to slot 2 and my 2 TB m.2 for game storage to 3rd slot to get my GPU back in full speed without causeing issues with my OS?

GPU Z.gif

That sounds fine to me. Worst that'll happen is you just have to reconfigure your boot order in BIOS.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Nest question if I decided to get another 980 pro for more storage and leave the 4080 in x8 how much performance am I leaving on the table? I know in theory 100 percent but in terms of FPS while gaming if its not going to be noticeable I would rather grab another 2TB of storage. That is how I found the issue I was looking to grab another m.2 for extra storage. 

12 hours ago, TetraHydro said:

Nest question if I decided to get another 980 pro for more storage and leave the 4080 in x8 how much performance am I leaving on the table? I know in theory 100 percent but in terms of FPS while gaming if its not going to be noticeable I would rather grab another 2TB of storage. That is how I found the issue I was looking to grab another m.2 for extra storage. 

Any M.2 SSD is going to be wildly fast for your normal gaming and general use. Giving your graphics card more bandwidth will make a noticable difference. So definitely get the graphics card running in x16. I'd recommend a SATA SSD for extra storage since they're plenty fast for that. The only time a crazy fast SSD makes sense is if your transfering very large files frequently or video editing with lots of large files. 

Quote my reply or I won't see your reply. It's the single overturning left arrow under every message.