Is it possible to change fan direction on a GPU?

Does fan Positioning and rotation actually matter?

On an ASUS GPU such as the RTX 4090 ASUS ROG STRIX graphics card, one of the fans is inverted to help with 'airflow turbulence'.

1. Is this actually effective, or just a marketing trick?

2. If it is effective, how much better is it over standard GPU fan positions?
3. Can a standard GPU be fitted to change the direction of the fan like in the STRIX should you replace the fan?

When it comes to performance, every little bit counts. So is it even possible or worthwhile?

spacer.png

An Asus ROG STRIX RTX 4090 . Notice the middle fan is opposing the direction of the other fans.

spacer.png

An RTX 4080 Gaming X trio with the standard positioning for graphics card fans.

Thanks!

1/2. Who knows? Other cooler designs aren't getting thrashed by the STRIX, so I'd say the effect is probably minimal. I'd lean more towards marketing bullet point than actually important. Only some pretty complex and difficult simulation or testing would show a difference.

3. Putting aside the effectiveness, you'd need a reversed fan and to turn it the other direction. You won't find a reversed fan anywhere and a homemade one will be worse. The motor also might not be meant to run in the other direction, so you might need to replace that too. Just water cool your GPU if you want better cooling, don't try to re-engineer the card.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

if you want preforamce taking off the fans and zip fans to it would be way better then flipping the fan.  but would that be enough to get a boots bin probably not.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links