4070ti vs 7900xt

I'm building my first pc and cant decide between the two they both offer different things but I don't even know if ray tracing is worth it or just pure rasterised performance? I mainly play games like siege, mw2, rust, newworld, god of war, horizon zero dawn and am thinking of trying out hogwarts legacy and some other rpg's after i build my first pc. 

To me, the baseline performance of the 7900XT and its 20GB VRAM buffer make it seem like a better buy than the 4070Ti if both are $800. With the games you play, most of them don't offer RT, so that doesn't seem like a huge consideration.

If you're going for the "future-proof" angle, and worry about upcoming games with RT, I still think the 7900XT is likely to age better, because of the VRAM. The 12GB on the 4070Ti is already starting to be a problem at 4K in some newer titles, like Hogwarts Legacy.

17 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

To me, the baseline performance of the 7900XT and its 20GB VRAM buffer make it seem like a better buy than the 4070Ti if both are $800. With the games you play, most of them don't offer RT, so that doesn't seem like a huge consideration.

If you're going for the "future-proof" angle, and worry about upcoming games with RT, I still think the 7900XT is likely to age better, because of the VRAM. The 12GB on the 4070Ti is already starting to be a problem at 4K in some newer titles, like Hogwarts Legacy.

thanks a lot man that helps clear stuff up. also though what do you think about the reference cards of the 7900xt? Some people have told me the cooling may be subpar.

I would also recommend the 7900 XT if you don't care about raytracing, it's faster in raw rasterization and the VRAM..  love mine.

Just now, enyosias said:

thanks a lot man that helps clear stuff up. also though what do you think about the reference cards of the 7900xt? Some people have told me the cooling may be subpar.

With the newer driver releases my temperatures have gone down... from 75/76c GPU and 87/88c junction, down to 71/73c GPU and 83/84c junction.

8 minutes ago, si1enze said:

With the newer driver releases my temperatures have gone down... from 75/76c GPU and 87/88c junction, down to 71/73c GPU and 83/84c junction.

damn thats good as might pull the trigger on a 7900xt tonight then and get this endless research done with

I know this is a douchebag thing to say but what's stopping you for saving up just a bit more and buying the 7900XTX. It's genuinely worth the extra money and they've been getting discounted a lot. If you're gonna spend this much money you might as well throw 100-200 (insert currency here) more and get the best GPU. Or.. if money is an issue why not go with something like a heavily discounted 6950XT for 100-200 (insert currency here) less. I just think the 7900XT is the worst deal out of all current AMD GPUs.

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    Gigabyte RTX 4080 Super Gaming OC
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

Would recommend 7900XT aswell. But the drivers arent as good as they should be. Main problem is with video encoding. It causes FPS drop in games. When you have a YT video or Twitch stream in the background, the FPS just tanks (I have a 7900XTX Nitro).

But when im purely in game, it rips like no other. 4K100+ fps, all high settings, is normal now.

Future proofing wise, AMD has proven in the past to age like fine wine. No doubt, with driver improvements, we will get stable performance. If you are a streamer tho, Nvidia might be the better option NOW. Tho, knowing Nvidia and their move towards the Apple mentality, you will be looking for an upgrade sooner rather than later.

Buying a used GPU is also a great choice if you're willing to take the risk.  I for example just bought a MSI RTX 3090 Gaming X Trio for $600 locally and it's been working great so far since it was used for gaming only and the guy walked into the Micro Center we made the exchange at and bought himself an RTX 4090.  $600 is hard to beat considering it's an RTX 3090.  Look around and you may be as fortunate as I was earlier today.  I upgraded from an aging ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti so it was a huge upgrade since I sold the second GTX 1080 Ti back in early 2021 due to the COVID Recession. 

Go 4070 Ti it way better as long as you not play this placebo "Ultra" setings that make no diference and make massive performance impact. There is a lot test and explain that use Ultra setting is not worth they have massive impact and no visual diference that you can tell very easy and 4070 Ti will be bottleneck by VRAM on this placebo settings. As long as you use High settings 4070 Ti outperform 7900 XT and 4070 Ti is way better for ray tracing. That up too you if you think that need Ultra settings than go 7900 XT but I recommend at least watch test before about this Ultra setings you will see that they make no diference and have massive impact depends on game from ~5% too 30%+