Why does 1440p look sharp in a 4K display?

Go to solution Solved by Monsterkater,

Some TVs do have an internal upscaler, so maybe it was upscaled to 4K? Just a wild guess though

A couple days ago I was watching my cousin play a game at 1440p in a 4k TV, I swear to god we couldn't tell a noticeable difference between that and native.

Truth be told, It was a 4K 55" TV standing like 10 ft from us, but our opinion on sharpness didn't change when temporarily looking at it from 5 ft.

So I'm confused... why did it look sharp if the 4K TV was displaying 1440p ???

Unless there was some sort of upscaling tech involved, like DLSS or FSR, which can improve sharpness over native images via sharpening filters, it's likely that for that screen at that distance in that lighting with your eye sights, you just can't tell a difference. 1440p is pretty high resolution, and if you're standing 5 feet away from the display, it's not like you're going to be looking at individual pixels.

If this chart is accurate, then 1440p at 5 feet from a 55" display is probably the sweet spot to notice the full benefits of 1440p (which isn't specifically listed, but is closer to 4K than to 1080p)

spacer.png

Also depends on the type of AA the game is using.

'cheap' AA like TAA and FXAA ..blur the entire image. With the right kind of game and setting, that kind of AA can blur the edges of things enough to hide the Aliasing caused by a lower resolution render.  Heavy implementation of DoF can also hide the aliasing found in fine far of details like power lines, and small branches of trees.

Same goes for motion blur.

Disable AA / DoF / Motion blur , and ull likely see a difference.

If not then its probably down to your viewing distance.

A lower than native resolution can look perfectly fine when dealing with games, its desktop use with text what is a problem.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

30 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Also depends on the type of AA the game is using.

The game was Dead Space Remake (2023)

I'm not sure if it was the AA or the TV upscaling, but he had set 1440p resolution and it looked sharp.

Yeah game wise and distance and also possible scaling and AA in use helps.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

All TV's have internal upscaling that is far superior than what monitors use. It's the same on my LG C9 OLED. 1440p looks very close to 4K in games because the image is upscaled to 4K, not just streched to fill out the whole screen.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

21 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

All TV's have internal upscaling that is far superior than what monitors use.

Interesting, why is such upscaling not available in monitors?

2 hours ago, Hi P said:

Interesting, why is such upscaling not available in monitors?

In the past it was because of imput lag. But nowadays, a TV can have better upscaling and still have the same low input lag as a monitor. Tbh i don't know why monitors don't have upscaling algorithms built in.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.