DP1.4 to HDMI2.1 Adapter for 4k 120Hz

J.Munslow

Hi, 

I have a home theatre PC with 1060 inside which has a DP1.4 output. Recently I've upgraded my TV to one which can allow for 4k 120hz but only through an HDMI2.1 input. 

Obviously I don't expect to have any games running at that resolution on the 1060 but it would be good to have the desktop running at the native resolution. 

I've found a few adapter cables on Amazon which are DP1.4 to HDMI2.1 - Does anybody have experience with these and do they allow full resolutions as expected? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DisplayPort-Cable-Support-Vision-NVIDIA/dp/B0B5DBN421/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=dp1.4+to+hdmi+2.1&qid=1677934091&sprefix=dp1.4+%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YIWENTEC-DisplayPort-Converter-Directional-Compatible/dp/B0B2ZF95KC/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=dp1.4+to+hdmi+2.1&qid=1677934277&sprefix=dp1.4+%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-6

Current Specs:

Intel Core i7 6700k

RTX 3060ti

32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz DDR4

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming ATX

Corsair RM850x PSU

Corsair H55

1TB Seagate SSHD

4TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB Hitachi HDD

256GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2

BeQuiet Silent Base 800

---------

Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Corsair K70 Lux RGB

Roccat Taito

Xbone Controller

Logitec Z333

Samsung SyncMaster SA10

LG Ultrawide 25"

1 hour ago, J.Munslow said:

Hi, 

I have a home theatre PC with 1060 inside which has a DP1.4 output. Recently I've upgraded my TV to one which can allow for 4k 120hz but only through an HDMI2.1 input. 

Obviously I don't expect to have any games running at that resolution on the 1060 but it would be good to have the desktop running at the native resolution. 

I've found a few adapter cables on Amazon which are DP1.4 to HDMI2.1 - Does anybody have experience with these and do they allow full resolutions as expected? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DisplayPort-Cable-Support-Vision-NVIDIA/dp/B0B5DBN421/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=dp1.4+to+hdmi+2.1&qid=1677934091&sprefix=dp1.4+%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YIWENTEC-DisplayPort-Converter-Directional-Compatible/dp/B0B2ZF95KC/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=dp1.4+to+hdmi+2.1&qid=1677934277&sprefix=dp1.4+%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-6

I use a ugreen adapter that has a realtek rtd2173 as the processor/converter. It works fine for me at 4k/120hz.

30 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I use a ugreen adapter that has a realtek rtd2173 as the processor/converter. It works fine for me at 4k/120hz.

Did you have a link to it? I'd rather go for a Ugreen than one of the no-name brands on Amazon... even if I guess the internals are probably the same 

Current Specs:

Intel Core i7 6700k

RTX 3060ti

32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz DDR4

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming ATX

Corsair RM850x PSU

Corsair H55

1TB Seagate SSHD

4TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB Hitachi HDD

256GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2

BeQuiet Silent Base 800

---------

Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Corsair K70 Lux RGB

Roccat Taito

Xbone Controller

Logitec Z333

Samsung SyncMaster SA10

LG Ultrawide 25"

7 hours ago, J.Munslow said:

Did you have a link to it? I'd rather go for a Ugreen than one of the no-name brands on Amazon... even if I guess the internals are probably the same 

Just a Chinese retailer link... But maybe it will give you a place to start...

https://item.m.jd.com/product/100040450475.html

The part number is 40948.

Generally, you can expect full resolution out of any adapter (providing that it is what it said it is.) If it's faulty, then you can expect some flickering or other display artefact but it should allows full resolution out of the box (unless it's designed to work with DSC)

Keep in mind though that a DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 will still make your hardware run at DP 1.4 bandwitch (it will run at whatever worse), which mean no 4k will be limited to just 90hz or something at 10 bit, 120hz will only be possible at 8 bit. Not a big deal in and off itself but worth keeping in mind, if you can't run the monitor at its full refresh rang then it's probably worth checking your colour setting in Nvidia Control Panel

16 minutes ago, e22big said:

Generally, you can expect full resolution out of any adapter (providing that it is what it said it is.) If it's faulty, then you can expect some flickering or other display artefact but it should allows full resolution out of the box (unless it's designed to work with DSC)

Keep in mind though that a DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 will still make your hardware run at DP 1.4 bandwitch (it will run at whatever worse), which mean no 4k will be limited to just 90hz or something at 10 bit, 120hz will only be possible at 8 bit. Not a big deal in and off itself but worth keeping in mind, if you can't run the monitor at its full refresh rang then it's probably worth checking your colour setting in Nvidia Control Panel

Hmmm not true. I am getting 4k 120 at 10 bit.

And note, these are not passive adapters, they are all active with brains in them.

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Hmmm not true. I am getting 4k 120 at 10 bit.

And note, these are not passive adapters, they are all active with brains in them.

What's your GPU though, it could also just be that your GPU also do DSC which can allow DP to go well beyond 120hz 10 bit at 4k

Anyway that's just one of the possible issue that could be coming up (espeically on such an old GPU like 1060), I do think it should be mentioned