i9-13900HK vs i9-13900HX

Will the difference between these CPUs present any noticeable difference in gaming and general-purpose coding tasks? The former is a 14 core and the latter is a 24 core with differing cache sizes, but other than that most of their specs are similar. Just trying to figure out what the actual difference between these two are and why only certain versions show up in certain laptops. Thanks.

The HX model is basically the desktop 13900k crammed into a laptop, while the HK is an actual mobile part with LPDDR support (soldered RAM) and a beefier iGPU.

The 13900HX should be faster due to the extra E cores and higher power budget, allowing it to boost higher, but should also consume more power.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

So even with a mobile 4090 you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference between it and an i5 for gaming.

Code compilation yeah they'll be faster. The hx is the faster one HOWEVER.

THIS IS ONLY IN EXTREMELY WELL COOLED LAPTOPS. This counts for both of them the hx a lot more.

What laptop are you looking at that has these? As there are for some reason thin and lights that have these that can barely even run em at base clock.

48 minutes ago, jaslion said:

So even with a mobile 4090 you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference between it and an i5 for gaming.

Code compilation yeah they'll be faster. The hx is the faster one HOWEVER.

THIS IS ONLY IN EXTREMELY WELL COOLED LAPTOPS. This counts for both of them the hx a lot more.

What laptop are you looking at that has these? As there are for some reason thin and lights that have these that can barely even run em at base clock.

EXACTLY

There are ALOT of laptops that have power hungry and boiling hot chips like the last 2 generations of the Core i9 line that can't cool those poor chips for shit

The best cpu doesn't go very well with a notebook thin laptop

You'll need to get a laptop with some good cooling in order to really get the benefit of that chip

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

In theory the HX would be faster.
In practice you'll be limited by the cooling of the laptop. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

You can spend $5000 on a laptop or $1500 on a laptop and you'd have a hard time telling which is which. The issue is gonna come down to the tdp limit of the GPU and the thermals. Especially now that Nvidia has crippled their cards to a max tdp, no one can just put a beefy solution over a GPU and let it run 200+ watts like Alienware did with the Rtx 2000 series.

On 3/3/2023 at 4:09 PM, jaslion said:

The two laptops would be the Alienware x16 for the HK version, and the Alienware m16 for the HX version. The most readily noticeable difference between the two besides looks is that the m16 is a full 0.25-0.3 inches thicker than the x16.