Can I move my current boot SSD to a new PC and back easily?

Lyssastrasza

I'm travelling to stay with a friend for a couple of weeks and will borrow their spare PC but was looking to take my 2 SSDs with me and plug them in so I essentially have my PC there. Will this work?

My Windows is not hardware locked, and GPU drivers is an easy fix, but what about the MOBO/CPU? I'm on Intel and the PC I will be using is on Ryzen, is that going to be an issue?

5 minutes ago, Lyssastrasza said:

I'm travelling to stay with a friend for a couple of weeks and will borrow their spare PC but was looking to take my 2 SSDs with me and plug them in so I essentially have my PC there. Will this work?

My Windows is not hardware locked, and GPU drivers is an easy fix, but what about the MOBO/CPU? I'm on Intel and the PC I will be using is on Ryzen, is that going to be an issue?

not at all, as you said, just drivers

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

windows 10 and 11 are fairly good at sorting the drivers out by themselves,, as long as you dont have some weird ethernet controller that requires special drivers from the special school bus to work ofcourse..

5 minutes ago, Blqckout said:

not at all, as you said, just drivers

i've actually done enough diagnostics here to know that windows installations don't jump boards perfectly all the time.

it's not a feature of the os at all and doesnt work as well as it did with windows 95 or 98 , windows 10-11 just aren't that simple anymore

IT CAN work just fine. it has been done , sometimes theres zero problems. But a lot of times drivers don;t fix the problems and the os can have a ton of errors booting or performance can be awful. You can always try it , but it's not SUPPOSED to/expected to work. it's just something that CAN work.

1 hour ago, emosun said:

i've actually done enough diagnostics here to know that windows installations don't jump boards perfectly all the time.

it's not a feature of the os at all and doesnt work as well as it did with windows 95 or 98 , windows 10-11 just aren't that simple anymore

IT CAN work just fine. it has been done , sometimes theres zero problems. But a lot of times drivers don;t fix the problems and the os can have a ton of errors booting or performance can be awful. You can always try it , but it's not SUPPOSED to/expected to work. it's just something that CAN work.

yes could be the case with different chipsets, i mean after i downgraded from z170 to h110 it was missing chipset drivers hence crashed twice on me once a freezer and 2nd time it was a bsod, now system is completely stable for more than 2-3 days, in the past i used to think windows was good at it mainly because i used to swap with same chipset board (i.e. i had 2nd gen intel system since it's launch and changed it's mobo 3-4 times)

Its no different than cloning to different hardware. 

As long as you aren't flipping from AHCI mode to RAID and back you can sort it out.