[2023 edition] Which NAS do you recommend for office usage (Microsoft Office) Backup data

Go to solution Solved by jake9000,

I can't really speak for the others, but I find synology to be very easy to work with as a backup target. It has a built-in security checklist to help you set it up, and its app store is super easy to connect to any cloud repository that you want. 

However, their warranty is very bad. I don't know how price sensitive you are, but for us one of the saving graces is that it is way cheaper than the other storage devices we sell, to the point that you can afford to self-insure. 

We typically use Veeam to back up servers and cloud to the synology and then back the synology data out to either backblaze B2, Amazon Glacier, or our own colocated netapp depending on the speed of restore that they desire. 

Looking for one for office usage.

Prebuilt NAS, Either QNAP, Synology, or Asustor.

No budget yet, Location: Indonesia

Storage capacity requirement: Probably 2 TB for 1 Drive

We plan to make 1 NAS for each specific task, 

1. for PDF file, Microsoft Office 

2. for Picture
3. For video 

4. For audio - Wav

How many device will be use at the same time:

Office: Probably around min 5 people, max 10 people.

Home Office: Probably 6 Max

Office & Home place already have 2.5 gigabit

For Office & Home backup, we haven't had internal backup yet. 

We plan to do start with a NAS for old data, and internal for new data and find the cloud solution for current file.

Which NAS do you recommend for office usage (Microsoft Office) Backup data

Not enough data.

Prebuilt or DIY through TrueNAS or unRAID?

Budget? Location?

Storage capacity requirement?

Any other tasks itll do?

How many devices will use the NAS actively at the same time (copying data, opening the data straight from the NAS, etc)?

Do you run mostly gigabit internet appliances (switches, router, etc) or are you looking to upgrade and/or already have 2.5 gigabit or above?

Is this going to be a mission critical backup where itll be a part of a 3-2-1 backup plan (3 copies, 2 different devices, 1 deployed offsite)?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

On 3/3/2023 at 3:47 PM, SorryClaire said:

Not enough data.

Prebuilt or DIY through TrueNAS or unRAID?

Budget? Location?

Storage capacity requirement?

Any other tasks itll do?

How many devices will use the NAS actively at the same time (copying data, opening the data straight from the NAS, etc)?

Do you run mostly gigabit internet appliances (switches, router, etc) or are you looking to upgrade and/or already have 2.5 gigabit or above?

Is this going to be a mission critical backup where itll be a part of a 3-2-1 backup plan (3 copies, 2 different devices, 1 deployed offsite)?

Thanks for the question

Prebuilt NAS, Either QNAP, Synology, or Asustor.

No budget yet, Location: Indonesia

We plan to make 1 NAS for each specific task, 

1. for PDF file, Microsoft Office 

2. for Picture
3. For video 

How many device will be use at the same time:

Office: Probably around min 5 people, max 10 people.

Home Office: Probably 6 Max

Office & Home place already have 2.5 gigabit

For Office & Home backup, we haven't had internal backup yet. 

We plan to do start with a NAS for old data, and internal for new data and find the cloud solution for current file.

8 minutes ago, DaveMedan said:

Never go for 1 drive if you are building up a NAS, you want redundancy in the case of a drive failure. Atleast we know that a 2 bay NAS would be sufficient if this is all youll do to it. You should check out the Asustor Drivestor and Lockerstor lineup, and also the DS220+ and 420+ by Synology.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

Never go for 1 drive if you are building up a NAS, you want redundancy in the case of a drive failure. Atleast we know that a 2 bay NAS would be sufficient if this is all youll do to it. You should check out the Asustor Drivestor and Lockerstor lineup, and also the DS220+ and 420+ by Synology.

Yeah, i mean the minimum size for the HDD should be 2 TB. I know that usually NAS has two bay.
I see. How important is the CPU for NAS? 
is DS220+  the newest one?

37 minutes ago, DaveMedan said:

is DS220+  the newest one?

All of them are from 2019-20 era. NAS arent like laptops that get updated every year, as long as youre not going for very very old models you wont go wrong with it too much.

46 minutes ago, DaveMedan said:

How important is the CPU for NAS?

Its important for multi purpose use and also to handle data requests faster. Its not exactly make or break unless youre going very hard about it like taking the NAS to actively edit high resolution footage in premiere for example. Your use case is fine for low power CPUs.

5 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

All of them are from 2019-20 era. NAS arent like laptops that get updated every year, as long as youre not going for very very old models you wont go wrong with it too much.

Its important for multi purpose use and also to handle data requests faster. Its not exactly make or break unless youre going very hard about it like taking the NAS to actively edit high resolution footage in premiere for example. Your use case is fine for low power CPUs.

I c ,thanks 

I can't really speak for the others, but I find synology to be very easy to work with as a backup target. It has a built-in security checklist to help you set it up, and its app store is super easy to connect to any cloud repository that you want. 

However, their warranty is very bad. I don't know how price sensitive you are, but for us one of the saving graces is that it is way cheaper than the other storage devices we sell, to the point that you can afford to self-insure. 

We typically use Veeam to back up servers and cloud to the synology and then back the synology data out to either backblaze B2, Amazon Glacier, or our own colocated netapp depending on the speed of restore that they desire. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

9 hours ago, jake9000 said:

I c, what are other option that has better warranty ?

20 hours ago, DaveMedan said:

I c ,thanks 

From Asustor local store recommend  Asustor AS3302T 2-Bay Drivestore 4 Pro NAS Storage Cloud AS 3302T &Asustor AS6704T 4-Bay LOCKERSTOR 4 Gen2 NAS Storage Cloud AS 6704T