Directory connected machine will not create a user account, instead creating a temp user.

In my organization, we have one computer that is on our Active Directory, but whenever a user logs in, it fails to login and says that it failed to login, and it created a temporary account. Is there a way to stop it from doing this, preferably without having to reimage it?

Have you tried removing it from the domain and adding it back again with the same name?

Just the one user? I've seen this happen when their locally cached domain profile gets goofed up. Purging that should fix it without removing and re-adding that PC from the domain or reformatting; I've done this many times:

Rename the C:\Users\[Their name] folder if it exists, then remove the associated registry key from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

(Export it to a file before deleting it, just in case.)

That should clear the PC out as though they've never logged into it before. If they get a normal session when they log in, you can grant access to the old C:\Users\[Their name] folder so they can rescue any files that aren't synced through OneDrive. Once they're sure they have everything, you can delete the old folder.

56 minutes ago, CaptainKieseI said:

Have you tried removing it from the domain and adding it back again with the same name?

I don't think they'd be able to get that far if that was the problem. They'd get a "the trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" error on login when the PC tries to authenticate.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

7 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I don't think they'd be able to get that far if that was the problem. They'd get a "the trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" error on login when the PC tries to authenticate.

You can log in with a local account with admin rights and just leave the domain. This requires the local accounts credentials of course.

Oddly, check the time and date, if it's too far off, some AD connections willl fail.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Just the one user? I've seen this happen when their locally cached domain profile gets goofed up. Purging that should fix it without removing and re-adding that PC from the domain or reformatting; I've done this many times:

Rename the C:\Users\[Their name] folder if it exists, then remove the associated registry key from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

(Export it to a file before deleting it, just in case.)

That should clear the PC out as though they've never logged into it before. If they get a normal session when they log in, you can grant access to the old C:\Users\[Their name] folder so they can rescue any files that aren't synced through OneDrive. Once they're sure they have everything, you can delete the old folder.

It isn't just existing users. It also happens to new users that try to sign on to the machine. 

2 hours ago, CaptainKieseI said:

I don't know if that will work, but i can look into it.