Star Wars LaserDisk

On 3/1/2023 at 1:15 PM, dilpickle said:

All 3 films are available. If you know how to use Google you can acquire them.

This isn't about me or my own personal viewing experience. I'm a nerd, the same as all of you. I could Easily Torrent any and all formats of these movies in a matter of Minutes. This is Much bigger than simply watching a few movies...

On 3/1/2023 at 1:15 PM, dilpickle said:

You're barking up the wrong tree. There are a dozen youtube channels for movies and Star Wars that would be more relevant for this kind of campaign than LTT.

And you're Completely missing the point I'm trying to make and the purpose of this entire OP...

It doesn't matter if you're a Nerd who can simply download whatever you want for free, or a fan who knows little to nothing about computers and has been forced to deal with the Special Edition versions for almost 3 Decades: This is about getting the Largest and most Highly Viewed Tech Review Organization on Earth to shine a MASSIVE spotlight on the Difficulty involved for the "Average Person" to view the Original Theatrical Release Trilogy at home WITHOUT illegally downloading from the internet - which in this case is on Laserdisk.

Why is that the purpose of this OP? Well, it's like I said in the reply I posted just before this reply...

Arguably, the best quality versions of the Trilogy -- excluding any Fan Edits -- for home use is the "Faces" Laserdisk release that came out in 1993. To watch it requires having a Laserdisk Player which haven't been made in over 15 Years. The actual "Faces" LDs -- as shown in the attached image -- are pretty affordable, but the LD Players can be Expensive, and there's multiple different players to choose from. Which one is the best one to buy? How do you hook it up to a Television? How does the Surround Sound on them work, and what's the best way to set it up? These are all questions that LTT could answer for all of the fans out there that don't know how to download anything illegally.

But, WHY? What's the point? Who cares?

On 3/1/2023 at 1:08 PM, LIGISTX said:

Disney is >>>>>>>>>> larger then LTT. They are not going to change multiple decades of taking a hard line because a few vocal minority’s throw a tantrum on YouTube. If it somehow started to impact their bottom line, maybe… but that just isn’t going to happen. 

That’s why the 4k77/80/83 is likely the best we will ever get. Taken from original film, and hundreds and hundreds (thousands more likely) of hours invested by genuine fans trying to do the trilogy justice is better then any money printing machine Disney would come up with to reproduce them. 

The ONLY reason we don't have access to the Original Theatrical Release Trilogy is because George Lucas decided to replace the originals with the Special Edition. Not Disney, George. Well, he's not a part of Lucasfilm anymore. It's All Disney, now. And Disney only cares about 1 thing: Profit! That's why there's 7 Star Wars video games in production, Multiple "TV" Series on Disney+, and who knows how many more movies they're planning in the future. HOWEVER... They're Smart! They know that it's the Fans that pay for all of this! Rosario Dawson is proof enough that they'll put the opinions of the Fans above their own casting departments.

Linus doing a full episode showcasing just how Difficult it is for the "Average Person" to view the Original Trilogy, how many different LD Players are available, the difficulty with Sound, Video, Connection, and even just purchasing the LDs themselves -- not to mention a brief mention of the 4k77/80/83 fan made versions -- would be ample proof for Disney that there's a HUGE desire for these movies to be released in a professional 4K format. The cost for Disney to remaster and release these would be a FRACTION of the cost of producing 3 brand new movies from scratch; yet, could potentially net them the same amount of money as 3 brand new movies would.

Think about it: LTT makes an episode showing how to do this; that video get's a few Million views -- which would be more views than All other videos about the Original Trilogy on YouTube, Combined -- and generates a Massive positive reaction from the fans; then, LD Players and various LD copies start getting purchased from every source possible....... Disney could very well realize that they'd be Stupid to not remake these Professionally and make all of that money themselves. We'd FINALLY get the Original Trilogy Release we've all been dreaming about for the last 30 years! Who Knows - Disney could very well appropriate the crew currently working on the 4k77/80/83 releases.

Stop taking this so personally; stop thinking about your own needs and your individual capabilities to watch whatever you want to watch; and, stop looking at this as something that simply can't happen. LTT Can Make This Happen, if they truly go all out and show ALL of the different ways to watch the Original Theatrical Release - including the difficulties and legalities involved with all of these options. Start looking at the Bigger Picture! This Is Possible! We just have to Use the Force! 😉

Screenshot_20230306_103438_Edge.jpg

I think you drastically overestimate LTT’s ability to convince corporations to spend millions of dollars to a very, very small vocal minority of its diehard fans. LTT couldn’t even get Microsoft to look at its windows laptop sleep issues until they firmly stated they will never again recommend a Microsoft laptop until Microsoft takes it seriously….. that  got their attention because LTT is a tech reliever, and a large one. LTT saying they will never again recommend anyone watch a Disney money would be an equivalent step, but they would never say that because that doesn’t logically make sense, and even if they did, they are not a large voice in that arena, at all. It would have effectively no impact because LTT doesn’t ever go around recommending what movie to watch. So this “threat” is meaningless. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, Jaethan said:

This isn't about me or my own personal viewing experience. I'm a nerd, the same as all of you. I could Easily Torrent any and all formats of these movies in a matter of Minutes. This is Much bigger than simply watching a few movies...

And you're Completely missing the point I'm trying to make and the purpose of this entire OP...

It doesn't matter if you're a Nerd who can simply download whatever you want for free, or a fan who knows little to nothing about computers and has been forced to deal with the Special Edition versions for almost 3 Decades: This is about getting the Largest and most Highly Viewed Tech Review Organization on Earth to shine a MASSIVE spotlight on the Difficulty involved for the "Average Person" to view the Original Theatrical Release Trilogy at home WITHOUT illegally downloading from the internet - which in this case is on Laserdisk.

Why is that the purpose of this OP? Well, it's like I said in the reply I posted just before this reply...

Arguably, the best quality versions of the Trilogy -- excluding any Fan Edits -- for home use is the "Faces" Laserdisk release that came out in 1993. To watch it requires having a Laserdisk Player which haven't been made in over 15 Years. The actual "Faces" LDs -- as shown in the attached image -- are pretty affordable, but the LD Players can be Expensive, and there's multiple different players to choose from. Which one is the best one to buy? How do you hook it up to a Television? How does the Surround Sound on them work, and what's the best way to set it up? These are all questions that LTT could answer for all of the fans out there that don't know how to download anything illegally.

But, WHY? What's the point? Who cares?

The ONLY reason we don't have access to the Original Theatrical Release Trilogy is because George Lucas decided to replace the originals with the Special Edition. Not Disney, George. Well, he's not a part of Lucasfilm anymore. It's All Disney, now. And Disney only cares about 1 thing: Profit! That's why there's 7 Star Wars video games in production, Multiple "TV" Series on Disney+, and who knows how many more movies they're planning in the future. HOWEVER... They're Smart! They know that it's the Fans that pay for all of this! Rosario Dawson is proof enough that they'll put the opinions of the Fans above their own casting departments.

Linus doing a full episode showcasing just how Difficult it is for the "Average Person" to view the Original Trilogy, how many different LD Players are available, the difficulty with Sound, Video, Connection, and even just purchasing the LDs themselves -- not to mention a brief mention of the 4k77/80/83 fan made versions -- would be ample proof for Disney that there's a HUGE desire for these movies to be released in a professional 4K format. The cost for Disney to remaster and release these would be a FRACTION of the cost of producing 3 brand new movies from scratch; yet, could potentially net them the same amount of money as 3 brand new movies would.

Think about it: LTT makes an episode showing how to do this; that video get's a few Million views -- which would be more views than All other videos about the Original Trilogy on YouTube, Combined -- and generates a Massive positive reaction from the fans; then, LD Players and various LD copies start getting purchased from every source possible....... Disney could very well realize that they'd be Stupid to not remake these Professionally and make all of that money themselves. We'd FINALLY get the Original Trilogy Release we've all been dreaming about for the last 30 years! Who Knows - Disney could very well appropriate the crew currently working on the 4k77/80/83 releases.

Stop taking this so personally; stop thinking about your own needs and your individual capabilities to watch whatever you want to watch; and, stop looking at this as something that simply can't happen. LTT Can Make This Happen, if they truly go all out and show ALL of the different ways to watch the Original Theatrical Release - including the difficulties and legalities involved with all of these options. Start looking at the Bigger Picture! This Is Possible! We just have to Use the Force! 😉

Screenshot_20230306_103438_Edge.jpg

First of all these same transfers are available on DVD so laserdisc is irrelevant.

Second do you honestly think Disney is not aware of the demand for the original versions? Kathleen Kennedy herself has been asked about it.

Third you grossly overestimate the influence of LTT.

9 hours ago, dilpickle said:

First of all these same transfers are available on DVD so laserdisc is irrelevant.

Second do you honestly think Disney is not aware of the demand for the original versions? Kathleen Kennedy herself has been asked about it.

Third you grossly overestimate the influence of LTT.

Actually, no, you can't. The ONLY copy you can get on DVD is the Special Edition.

I don't understand why everyone is being so negative about this. Just because you don't want to watch them on Laserdisk doesn't mean Nobody wants to watch them. Just because you think it's a waste of time doesn't mean it won't work. There's nothing wrong with Trying. Worst case scenario, nothing happens, and we're at the same place we're at, now. Best case scenario . . . . who knows?

I think you grossly Underestimate the power of the Internet, and the wide reach that LTT has.

Besides, just seeing which Laserdisk player is worth buying and which isn't would be worth it all by itself for a surprising number of fans. These things are expensive, they're old, and there's Dozens of options to choose from. Nobody wants to pay thousands of dollars just to play the guessing game buying multiple LD Players just to watch the Original Theatrical Release.

10 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

I think you drastically overestimate LTT’s ability to convince corporations to spend millions of dollars to a very, very small vocal minority of its diehard fans. LTT couldn’t even get Microsoft to look at its windows laptop sleep issues until they firmly stated they will never again recommend a Microsoft laptop until Microsoft takes it seriously….. that  got their attention because LTT is a tech reliever, and a large one. LTT saying they will never again recommend anyone watch a Disney money would be an equivalent step, but they would never say that because that doesn’t logically make sense, and even if they did, they are not a large voice in that arena, at all. It would have effectively no impact because LTT doesn’t ever go around recommending what movie to watch. So this “threat” is meaningless. 

I think you're overthinking it, and I think a lot of the people who've replied to this thread are just haters who refuse to try and do anything because they refuse to be positive about Anything.

I also think you're underestimating the power of the Internet, and the Fans - not just LTT.

I also don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal out of all of this. I've already said that convincing Disney to release the unaltered theatrical release trilogy is a long shot - at best. I've only said that it's Possible, and that even a small chance would be worth the attempt.

I also think a lot of the people who have replied to this thread are Severely underestimating the Older Star Wars fans and just how much those of us over 40 crave the original trilogy to help us remember our childhood a bit better.

Finally, what's the worst than can happen? Seriously? Those of us who are older fans could finally have a comprehensive guide on how to reconnect with our childhood. How is that a bad thing?

38 minutes ago, Jaethan said:

How is that a bad thing?

It’s not. It would be great. I for one am all for it. I’m simply pointing out, the chances of success are next to 0, and there isn’t much incentive for LTT to dedicate an entire video to this. 

The only angle I could see them taking would be to go through a list or movies that have been changed over the years, highlight how the technologies have changed and why some things within the films were “updated” as a result. I don’t know how they could make a full length video out of this, or how it would capture their audience correctly. In depth movie review is not really on brand… and it’s been done many, many times over. 

Looking up the despecialized versions alone on YouTube, the top few results all have about as many views as I’d assume LTT would hope to get on such a video. The content is already there… people that care about this know about it. Maybe LTT would help popularize it a little more, but I don’t think it would have much in the way of causing change.

Thats all I’m saying… I don’t think there is much ROI in it for them. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air