Need some help with ram. Ryzen 9 7950X3D

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 minute ago, BotherRed said:

I didn't even know that was a thing, they'll be coming out soonTM

They are listed on Corsair's website, albeit they're currently out of stock, but I'd expect them to be available in NA pretty soon. 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-DDR5-Memory---Black/p/CMK96GX5M2B5600C40

I will be getting one and I would like 128 total as I don't plan on just gaming. I know if I were to just be gaming then getting 16, or 32 in a really low CL and tight timings would be better. But I do plan on also making some content as well.
2D with CPS, 3D with Blender, Videos with VEGAS, possibly even games as well with stuff like RPGMaker or Unreal if I ever get around to learning it.

Just would like a bit of help with it. I know that really, most likely anything I do choose will be more then fine. But this is one subject that I've always found kind of murky just because there's so much that goes into ram and what different use cases each different variant of it has. 

For manufacturer I was looking into G.Skill personally but Crucial is also a really well trusted co. so I'd be fine buying from them as well, but I'm open to other suggestions and offers. 

AM5 does not really work in quad rank configurations, so unless absolutely necessary you want to avoid 128GB of RAM at all costs. If you actually need more than 64GB of RAM, I'd be waiting about a month for the 48GB DIMMs to come to the US and run just 96GB of RAM instead.

RAM manufacturer doesn't really matter all that much, so I wouldn't really look too deep into who makes it, it'll all come from either Samsung, SK Hynix, or Micron anyway. 

Oh yeah I wouldn't be pushing it's speed any higher, if I tried then that'd kill the memory controller.
I'd just want capacity to handle different video tracks and blender stuff with out needing to wait for it to process more stuff. 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

AM5 does not really work in quad rank configurations, so unless absolutely necessary you want to avoid 128GB of RAM at all costs. If you actually need more than 64GB of RAM, I'd be waiting about a month for the 48GB DIMMs to come to the US and run just 96GB of RAM instead.

RAM manufacturer doesn't really matter all that much, so I wouldn't really look too deep into who makes it, it'll all come from either Samsung, SK Hynix, or Micron anyway. 

Is it just like really bad at doing 128? This will be the first time I've ever jumped from Intel to AMD for my CPU so it'll all be new to me. If it like truly absolutely tanks performance, even for what I want to do, then I'll be fine going for 64 instead of a full fat 128 

13 minutes ago, BotherRed said:

Is it just like really bad at doing 128? This will be the first time I've ever jumped from Intel to AMD for my CPU so it'll all be new to me. If it like truly absolutely tanks performance, even for what I want to do, then I'll be fine going for 64 instead of a full fat 128 

It lowers the max memory speed from 6000MT/s to 4000MT/s being a struggle at best. You pretty much lose over 1/3 the memory performance by trying to use 128GB of RAM. 

The 96GB kits are coming out very soon, they are already available in Asia from both Micron and Corsair, we're just waiting for them to come out in North America. If you can wait a couple weeks for them, you can get a 5600MT/s rated kit and get almost full memory performance with it. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It lowers the max memory speed from 6000MT/s to 4000MT/s being a struggle at best. You pretty much lose over 1/3 the memory performance by trying to use 128GB of RAM. 

The 96GB kits are coming out very soon, they are already available in Asia from both Micron and Corsair, we're just waiting for them to come out in North America. If you can wait a couple weeks for them, you can get a 5600MT/s rated kit and get almost full memory performance with it. 

1 minute ago, BotherRed said:

They are listed on Corsair's website, albeit they're currently out of stock, but I'd expect them to be available in NA pretty soon. 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-DDR5-Memory---Black/p/CMK96GX5M2B5600C40

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'll wait then for sure. Not like I was going to have all the parts ready and rearing to go once I get the CPU. But def will look into this. Thank you very much for your help and I hope you have a lovely rest of your day. 

• 3 weeks later...

We're just waiting on a new AGESA to handle those weird capacities now too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 10:08 AM, Slizzo said:

We're just waiting on a new AGESA to handle those weird capacities now too.

That's something that'd be apart of a Bios update right?

16 hours ago, BotherRed said:

That's something that'd be apart of a Bios update right?

It would be a part of BIOS updates that include AGESA 1.0.0.7 for AM5, yes.

On 3/28/2023 at 10:01 AM, Slizzo said:

It would be a part of BIOS updates that include AGESA 1.0.0.7 for AM5, yes.

Alrighty! I'll have to make sure to update the bios on my MB 

On 2/28/2023 at 6:48 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

They're finally here.

Ordered them on the 16th, and they've just came in, on the 31st. 

image_2023-03-31_164811507.png