Intel, and amd discontinuation of production on old cpus?

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

You'd have to get it on the used market.

Intel doesn't actively manufacture those CPUs anymore.

Hi. I am trying to save up for a 10980xe, and some old xeon cpus that use the 2066 socket.

Is intel still making cpus from that generation and I can wait a while? Or would I have to get it now?

Same with AMD threadripper, ect.

You'd have to get it on the used market.

Intel doesn't actively manufacture those CPUs anymore.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

10 minutes ago, rubyseeker12 said:

Hi. I am trying to save up for a 10980xe, and some old xeon cpus that use the 2066 socket.

If you want Xeon for the masses again, wait until Sapphire Rapids fully dropped. But yeah, theyll be as expensive if not more.

HEDTs are now professional grade thing thanks to high core count flagships like 7950X and 13900K. If this console you, DDR5 has a better check and balance to make sure RAM-based crash are actually detectable, and Ryzen always has an unbuffered ECC support since 1st generation. All you need is a motherboard that already have the function activated in the microcode.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

11 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

HEDTs are now professional grade thing thanks to high core count flagships like 7950X and 13900K.

I'd blame Threadripper Pro and AMD more than anything else, but yeah.

The main advantages HEDT platforms have over high end consumer CPUs are PCIe lanes and memory channels. Plenty of people around who would still take quad channel DDR4 over dual channel DDR5.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'd blame Threadripper Pro and AMD

To me they exasperate the problem. Writing was on the wall but Threadripper Pro and lack of 4000 series Threadripper for consumer pretty much makes the dumpster fire spread to the entire landfill.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Just now, SorryClaire said:

To me they exasperate the problem. Writing was on the wall but Threadripper Pro and lack of 4000 series Threadripper for consumer pretty much makes the dumpster fire spread to the entire landfill.

Threadripper essentially did its job too well, and AMD thought they could sell the same CPUs for a higher price with "Pro" tacked on to make more money.

That's really the issue. Skylake-X wasn't good enough to compete well against Threadripper, and that was the end of Intel HEDT until now.

Neither Intel nor AMD typically produce older CPUs for much longer after a new generation comes out. If the new products do well you get a large dropoff in demand for the older chips anyway, so previous-gen parts often come from existing stock and aren't actively produced months or years after being replaced.

Intel doesn't make new LGA2066 parts anymore. You can either try to find new old stock for whatever parts you want, but older chips like this will probably cost you MSRP, which is a ripoff at this point. A better option is to go used, and you'll find many parts from that gen for sale for a fraction of the price.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Intel doesn't make new LGA2066 parts anymore. You can either try to find new old stock for whatever parts you want, but older chips like this will probably cost you MSRP, which is a ripoff at this point. A better option is to go used, and you'll find many parts from that gen for sale for a fraction of the price.

Depending on where you buy. You can't really buy any of this stuff new anymore, so you'll be paying well above MSRP if you can find it in the shrink.

I paid below $100 for my i7-7820X on the used market. Some Xeons should be even cheaper, due to the nature of how Xeons tend to end up on the used market.

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Depending on where you buy. You can't really buy any of this stuff new anymore, so you'll be paying well above MSRP if you can find it in the shrink.

I paid below $100 for my i7-7820X on the used market. Some Xeons should be even cheaper, due to the nature of how Xeons tend to end up on the used market.

Yes... if you can find those parts at all. My past experiences involving processors being sold new despite being a couple generations old typically involve the store not bothering to update their pricing and selling parts for what they sold for when current... That or stores upping their prices to make up for scarcity (I guess?)

Just a minute ago I tried to find a 10700K, and i STILL see shops selling them as new for 330+ EUR.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

7 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Yes... if you can find those parts at all. My past experiences involving processors being sold new despite being a couple generations old typically involve the store not bothering to update their pricing and selling parts for what they sold for when current... That or stores upping their prices to make up for scarcity (I guess?)

Just a minute ago I tried to find a 10700K, and i STILL see shops selling them as new for 330+ EUR.

Typically anything older than 2 generations, I go used market. Especially for HEDT hardware, you basically can't find it new.