Help me choose the CPU and cooling for it

Sima01
Go to solution Solved by HardStroke,
1 hour ago, Sima01 said:

Thats a fair point but Im running after that single core speeds since those games benefit from that, in most titles i5-10400F just pretty solidly with RTX 3060 Ti and I'm happy with the performance, im just little bit mad that League of Legends has FPS drops but at the end of the day its on the game side. I was thinking about i7-10700K and as far as I know I will be good to goo for next few years with this setup in terms of work and games.

Its hard to say what exactly is the bottle in eSport titles with this config, you would expect much much more out of it. But when I really think about it its not worth to upgrade.

I upgraded my 10600k to a 10900k about 5 months ago

Wanted a better cpu and wanted to "Future Proof" my cpu and just get the best cpu for my platform

Got it new for really cheap

I got lucky and got a chip with a really good silicon - it can do 5.2GHz on all cores, maybe even 5.3GHz

I run it daily on 5.1GHz on all cores and there is a difference between my old 4.9GHz 10600k and current 5.1GHz 10900k

Just get the best cpu of the platform

Your board is pretty good, wont be any problems (for the most part)

10700k or 10900k

avoid 11th gen, its a waste of silicon since an overclocked 10700k can pretty much match the performance of a 11700k and 11900k

Hello,

I currently have this configuration, at least close to it, not exact ram and storage but pretty much thats it.

image.thumb.png.9a223e6dbef0123419ef482c91cbd69c.png

I want to ugprade to Intel I5-10600K just because of the higher single core clocks, since I play allot of esports titles and one for example is League of Legends where 10400F isn't holding up that good with stable FPS.  Somehow, wide spread problem as far as I can see.

My biggest concern is cooler, what cooler should I fit on it since this MOBO has enormous heatsinks that werent able to fit any air cooler so far, so that makes me skeptical. Would this power supply hold up with i5-10600K or should I change it?

Whats the best cooling solution on a budget since it won't be overclocked on this B chipset?

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gainward RTX 3060 Ti | 2x16GB 3200MHz | Samsung 980 1TB | 1 TB WD Blue | 120GB A400 Kingston Gigabyte M2 NVME 512GB  | BeQuite Straight Power11 80+ Gold 750W

looks like this is a $1000+ PC, and also a mid tower casing,

Gambar Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L V2 ARGB LIQUID COOLER - WHITE dari toko expert komputer Jakarta Pusat 1 Tokopedia
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L

Would probbably a good fit for this one. costs around $98.00 or more.

Why :
- Maximum of 1800 RPM ±10% at 12VDC.

- Noise level of 8-27 dBA

Just an Ordinary Senior High-Schooler.

Please correct me if Im wrong when posting on someone's forum, that would really help me out. 👌

4 minutes ago, itnomink said:

looks like this is a $1000+ PC, and also a mid tower casing,

Gambar Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L V2 ARGB LIQUID COOLER - WHITE dari toko expert komputer Jakarta Pusat 1 Tokopedia
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L

Would probbably a good fit for this one. costs around $98.00 or more.

Why :
- Maximum of 1800 RPM ±10% at 12VDC.

- Noise level of 8-27 dBA

also the colours are matching NZXT's aura, purple stuff..

Please correct me if Im wrong when posting on someone's forum, that would really help me out. 👌

9 minutes ago, itnomink said:

also the colours are matching NZXT's aura, purple stuff..

Can’t find that white one, what is the lifespan of that AIO i really dont want the cooland on my GPU in a year or so

Shold my PSU be good enough to handle all that? By the numbers only it should but never had experience with corsair psus

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gainward RTX 3060 Ti | 2x16GB 3200MHz | Samsung 980 1TB | 1 TB WD Blue | 120GB A400 Kingston Gigabyte M2 NVME 512GB  | BeQuite Straight Power11 80+ Gold 750W

1 minute ago, Sima01 said:

Can’t find that white one, what is the lifespan of that AIO i really dont want the cooland on my GPU in a year or so

based on :  https://www.enostech.com/cooler-master-ml240l-v2-argb-cooler-review/#:~:text=Cooler Master has provided two newly designed SickleFlow ARGB fans,is rated at 160%2C000 hours.

These are rated for a maximum of 1800 RPM ±10% at 12VDC. Their airflow rating is 62 CFM, air pressure of 2.2 mmH₂O, and noise level of 8-27 dBA. Their life span is rated at 160,000 hours.

image.png.a653cd38f7c233484457306fcf5d39dc.png

No point in upgrading a 10400 to a 10600K

The only cpu that's worth buying if you have intel's lga1200 platform is a 10900k

Im pretty sure your board will be able to withstand and support a fully clocked 10900k underload, especially if you undervolt it (default voltage is really high)

If not, you could always downclock it a bit

You can sell your cpu and mb and get a used 12400/12600K with a nice 600 board

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

1 hour ago, HardStroke said:

No point in upgrading a 10400 to a 10600K

The only cpu that's worth buying if you have intel's lga1200 platform is a 10900k

Im pretty sure your board will be able to withstand and support a fully clocked 10900k underload, especially if you undervolt it (default voltage is really high)

If not, you could always downclock it a bit

You can sell your cpu and mb and get a used 12400/12600K with a nice 600 board

Thats a fair point but Im running after that single core speeds since those games benefit from that, in most titles i5-10400F just pretty solidly with RTX 3060 Ti and I'm happy with the performance, im just little bit mad that League of Legends has FPS drops but at the end of the day its on the game side. I was thinking about i7-10700K and as far as I know I will be good to goo for next few years with this setup in terms of work and games.

2 hours ago, MikadoWu said:

I purchased a white NZXT Cooler for $100 off amazon. Most AOI's are warrantied for 5 years and should last that plus a few more. I have heard rumors of 7-10 years. I am on my first one, so we will see..

Personally, I do not think you are going to see that much gain in performance from a F to K.  Depending on what you are doing, the CPU is not the bottle next.

I recently upgraded from a i7-3770 to a i7-13700k.  The i7-3770 was still fast enough to do much everything i needed.  My issue was this was a Pre m.2 system. For the games I play, using a Geforce 2060 Card, there was not FPS gains, as the titles where already maxed out.

Its hard to say what exactly is the bottle in eSport titles with this config, you would expect much much more out of it. But when I really think about it its not worth to upgrade.

1 hour ago, Sima01 said:

Wanted a better cpu and wanted to "Future Proof" my cpu and just get the best cpu for my platform

I got lucky and got a chip with a really good silicon - it can do 5.2GHz on all cores, maybe even 5.3GHz

I run it daily on 5.1GHz on all cores and there is a difference between my old 4.9GHz 10600k and current 5.1GHz 10900k

10700k or 10900k

avoid 11th gen, its a waste of silicon since an overclocked 10700k can pretty much match the performance of a 11700k and 11900k

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

41 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

10700k or 10900k

Thats a good point you got there, could I9-10900 be good enough for next 4 years lets say, its on expensive side, which one would you preffer, x k or f 

But I will look at it for sure

1 minute ago, Sima01 said:

Thats a good point you got there, could I9-10900 be good enough for next 4 years lets say, its on expensive side, which one would you preffer, x k or f 

But I will look at it for sure

Intel's X series are really bad for gaming

Your board supports only 10th and 11th gen BUT, since its a B460 board, you wont be able to overclock "K" (unlocked) cpus

The "K" variant comes with higher frequencies

The "F" variant just means the cpu comes without an iGPU (integrated graphics) so, for example, if your gpu dies, you wont be able to plug your monitor to the motherboard for basic signal because your cpu doesn't have an iGPU

"KF" just means unlocked and without an iGPU

Cpus without an iGPU are cheaper

Personally, I always go for the unlocked variant since I always overclock my hardware and a backup iGPU is always nice to have

Either way, any i9 10th gen will be fine for the next couple of years

16 hours ago, MikadoWu said:

What eSport game are you playing?  What is your Resolution and Refresh Rate? I know with many eSport games, you need a refresh high then 120, with 240 being preferred. Most of these people are also only using 1080p monitors.

Our H.S. Rocket League team are using i7-11700's, GeForce 3060's, 24: monitor at 160 MHz refresh and we have seen no issues. Our best player is a Supersonic and just got a new system at home.  His things we need better monitors.

My Son is a World of Warcraft and World of Warships Player. Did not understand his monitors were holding him back, until he picked up a new laptop that has a 15inch screen with a 240Mhz refresh.  He is now looking to upgrade to.

I use 144 Hz monitor for gaming since I didn't really have a chance to try out 240 Hz one but as far as I can see people can't really see the difference between 144 vs 240 or even more. 

Mostly playing League of Legends and CS:GO, only problem is League FPS since for some reason it runs bad even on better hardware.

Never had much experience with higher resolution screens aside from MacBook.

My conclusion out of this discussion is that its not worth it to upgrade my current CPU. Thank you all for providing answers! 🙂