FLTMGR.SYS

tdkid

putting this into general discussion because its a little bit of troubleshooting but more or looking for help in deciding what would be the best replacement part to get.

on Jan 1st this year i lost my PC to the error code in the title. the computer will not even boot into safe mode. with my extremely limited knowledge and someone telling me what it might be at a computer store. i am guessing that my PC has died because of an issue with the file transfer system on the hard drive i stored the OS on. so what i am looking for is 1. am i correct in my guess that its the HDD that failed and all i need is a new one. and 2. what would be the best replacement to get? i am thinking 2 SSDs. a kind of small storage capacity one to store the OS and another for the main storage.

and sorry if this doesnt belong here. i am no longer on the site as much as i used to be so i have forgotten a few things.

not that its going to matter too much.

current build

board: MSI Z370 gaming plus

CPU: intel i7 8700k

case: corsair 1000D

PSU: EVGA supernova 1000 G+

7 minutes ago, tdkid said:

i am thinking 2 SSDs. a kind of small storage capacity one to store the OS and another for the main storage.

That’s an unnecessary complication. 

What PC do you have? Do you have a PCIe NVMe SSD, or is it a 2.5” SATA SSD?

Are you sure the SSD is even bad, and it wasn’t just software corruption? You could just reinstall Windows on your existing SSD, but you’ll lose everything already on it if you reformat. 

Get a decent name brand replacement and reinstall Windows. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

7 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

That’s an unnecessary complication. 

What PC do you have? Do you have a PCIe NVMe SSD, or is it a 2.5” SATA SSD?

Are you sure the SSD is even bad, and it wasn’t just software corruption? You could just reinstall Windows on your existing SSD, but you’ll lose everything already on it if you reformat. 

Get a decent name brand replacement and reinstall Windows. 

well that is why i was asking. the error code i got was FLTMGR.SYS and it will not even boot into safe mode so going by that and the little i was able to look up from another computer. i am guessing its where i stored the OS that has failed in which all i need is a new one and to reupload the OS to be back to normal. but again guessing at that is the problem. as for the  PCIe NVMe SSD, or is it a 2.5” SATA SSD. its neither. i have a 3.5 HDD in my PC and looking to replace and upgrade it to an PCIe NVMe SSD, or a 2.5” SATA SSD. at least as a temporary solution as i plan on upgrading my PC later this year. 

and a decent name brand varies from area to area. i live in the US so i pretty much have them all but looking for a small one to store the OS and a second bigger one for the main storage.