ISP tech tried to fix connection stability issues, speed now 16.6% of advertised

ka_re_t
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

Sounds like they screwed up the ethernet cable and crossed over some pairs and it's pulling 100 Meg now instead of 1gig. Get yourself a new cable and test. 

I have the tp-link Archer C5400X on the latest firmware.

Originally I had trouble hitting the advertised speed of 600mbps with this router, but I was informed that it is not capable of that over a wireless connection.  In the process however, I was given Beta firmware from tp-link support.  I still have that but I switched it out for 1.1.3 from the website when trying to fix the current issue.  400mbps over WiFi and 600mbps as tested by the router firmware was the maximum I ever had.

There was a problem for the last month where the connection to the internet would drop for about 60-180 seconds.  I had the ISP come out and take a look, and they replaced some connectors--including crimping a new end onto the ethernet cable that goes from the modem to the router.  Not sure what happened, but now the router maxes out around 90mbps down, 40mbps up.  The ISP's support said the modem is properly provisioned and is seeing the full 600mbps speed, so the issue has to be with the router.

What can I do to get back to the full speed?

Sounds like they screwed up the ethernet cable and crossed over some pairs and it's pulling 100 Meg now instead of 1gig. Get yourself a new cable and test. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

53 minutes ago, billbill said:

Visit the Tp-Link website and download the manual for your router so that you can look up the correct settings.  Also download the manual for your modem. Depending on the model of your modem you might have 2 to 4 Ethernet ports on the back of the modem. The ethernet ports might all be the same speed or they might have one that is faster then the rest. They could have connected to the slower port if that is the case. Not sure what you have from your ISP. Your modem from your ISP might not just be a modem it might be a wireless gateway. If that is the case then your ISP might have set the wireless gateway to broadcast the Wi-Fi signal. These are just a few troubleshooting steps. 

Good points.  The modem is just a modem, I believe they charge extra if you get a modem+wifi router.  There's also only one WAN port on both the modem and router (although the router can add a second if you go into settings, but that's not the case currently).  So none of these steps apply in this specific scenario.  I will try what the first reply said and get back to you if that doesn't work

Your router should be able to show you what its link speed on the WAN port is. That is how you confirm whether the ethernet is linking at 100Mb or 1Gb.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Looks like this is a B-terminated Cat 5e cable and he used the wiring for A.  Annoying considering it says directly on the cable which type it is.  Thank you!

2 minutes ago, ka_re_t said:

Looks like this is a B-terminated Cat 5e cable and he used the wiring for A.  Annoying considering it says directly on the cable which type it is.  Thank you!

Well, the writing only matters if that’s a factory-made cable - the cabling doesn’t matter A or B, what matters is having the same pinout on both ends. But presumably that cable was made in the factory with B on both ends, and if he only reterminated one end… yeah that’s an issue.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: