Is darkmode more of a risk for image retention?

HungryHamster

Do you think using darkmode poses more of a risk for image retention? I was starting to think that although the background is black, the bright white text would be worse for image retention that a full white screen with black text.

5 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

Do you think using darkmode poses more of a risk for image retention? I was starting to think that although the background is black, the bright white text would be worse for image retention that a full white screen with black text.

That's a tricky one, as it kinda depends how the dimming works and your own usage.

The idea of dark mode is to remember to minimise everything if you walk away and that the bit that burns in will be smaller so less obvious.  There's no perfect solution really.

I think another aspect is that in dark mode the panel wont be getting as hot, which reduces the chance of burn in as its literally the pixels getting so hot its degrading the organic compounds.  If the pixels nearby are off, the ones that are on wont get as hot.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

19 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

In earlier gen flat screens this would be a real issue, especially with oled. With improvements with recent gen panels the likeliness of burn-in has decreased significantly. It's still a probability but @Alex Atkin UK makes a good point about heat dissipation.  of course, there will still be lemon panels on occasion so i can see it happening [seldom-rare] but as I mentioned the likeliness is going down so chances are probably exceptionally low and continually decreasing as new gen panels are produced. Dark mode has been around for some while in some form or another and I haven't seen any reports of burn in from using it, if there is, I would be interested in reading about it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER