Help needed with power consumption

MrPizza0021

Upgrading my rig from i3-8100 980ti to ryzen 5600x, currently have a 550w power supply and dont think it will be enough, so wondering if a 700w psu will be good enough or should i just be safe and go with a 800w? Going to be using the same 980ti founders gpu. 

2 minutes ago, MrPizza0021 said:

Upgrading my rig from i3-8100 980ti to ryzen 5600x, currently have a 550w power supply and dont think it will be enough, so wondering if a 700w psu will be good enough or should i just be safe and go with a 800w? Going to be using the same 980ti founders gpu. 

550w is enough

u could even upgrade your gpu to a 1050ti or higher and be fine

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

1 minute ago, Blqckout said:

Hu? The 980 ti draws 250w of power but the 1050ti draws 75w.  980ti beats the shit out the 1050ti.

5 minutes ago, MrPizza0021 said:

550w will be fine 🙂 Happy gaming!

6 minutes ago, MrPizza0021 said:

You can check your power consumption using a online calculator like this:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I am using a 650W power supply with a R5 3600 and GTX970.

Just now, Blqckout said:

550w is enough

Well i have a 1050ti but the performance is much better with the 980ti, how ever yes i do know it is quite old. It is a evga 550w psu. Not sure of the specific model but on pc part picker i saw a estimated wattage of 436w and just wasnt sure if i would have enough over head on the psu. The psu is not modular.

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

Hu? The 980 ti draws 250w of power but the 1050ti draws 75w.  980ti beats the shit out the 1050ti.

i aint gon lie

i didnt even know that

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

1 minute ago, Blqckout said:

i aint gon lie

i didnt even know that

Thats fair!  Most 1050ti's don't even come with a power connector as it can get all the 75w from the PCIE slot ( max 75w ) on the motherboard in fact.

Just now, Hinjima said:

Thats fair!  Most 1050ti's don't even come with a power connector as it can get all the 75w from the PCIE slot ( max 75w ) on the motherboard in fact.

jaw dropping Blank Template - Imgflip

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

2 minutes ago, MrPizza0021 said:

Well i have a 1050ti but the performance is much better with the 980ti, how ever yes i do know it is quite old. It is a evga 550w psu. Not sure of the specific model but on pc part picker i saw a estimated wattage of 436w and just wasnt sure if i would have enough over head on the psu. The psu is not modular.

You want the power supply loaded to more than 50% and less than 80% for optimal efficiency. Some PSU are less efficient over 80%. But 1-2% won't matter that much

You should also check how much power fans, hard drives, RAM and RGB are going to consume.  And use multiple source, I would recommend using outervision to calculate and verify whatever number you got from PC part picker.

4 minutes ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

You can check your power consumption using a online calculator like this:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I am using a 650W power supply with a R5 3600 and GTX970.

Using the calculator i get a load wattage of 420 (funny enough) but okay i just wanted to make sure i wasnt to close to the max wattage of the 550w psu

8 minutes ago, Blqckout said:

10 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

You two are getting off topic. and 980 out perform a 1050ti anyway (almost doubling 1050Ti's performance in some games...). OP is not concerned about efficiency, but raw performance.

1 minute ago, MrPizza0021 said:

Using the calculator i get a load wattage of 420 (funny enough) but okay i just wanted to make sure i wasnt to close to the max wattage of the 550w psu

That is enough, 76% load is pretty good and most PSU will be quite efficient at that range (50-85%, anything over or below that range result on lower efficiency, the below 50% load not considered in the 80Plus certification).

missing-image.svg*You can look up which ever PSU you got from the 80Plus website to see their actual efficiency curve

7 minutes ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

You two are getting off topic. and 980 out perform a 1050ti anyway (almost doubling 1050Ti's performance in some games...). OP is not concerned about efficiency, but raw performance.

I was just correcting one of the comments saying that he could upgrade to a 1050ti or higher and be fine. My correction was that the 980ti draws more power than the 1050ti, thats all.  I know the OP asks if 550w for a 980ti is fine and I know the 980ti outperforms the 1050ti ( I had one ).

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What 550w psu do you have?

Just found the box it is actually the corsair cx550m

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Cruddy evga psu it's fine for this build but when upgrading the gpu defo replace it

Yeah i figured with the next gpu upgrade i was going to upgrade the psu as well but it is actually the cx550m from corsair 80 plus bronze. not the best but it will work?

1 minute ago, MrPizza0021 said:

Yeah i figured with the next gpu upgrade i was going to upgrade the psu as well but it is actually the cx550m from corsair 80 plus bronze. not the best but it will work?

Is it the green label or gray label?

If gray excellent psu is green toss in it the trash yesterday

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Is it the green label or gray label?

If gray excellent psu is green toss in it the trash yesterday

It has the gray label. Thanks for the helpful information!