The best USB Key for Windows to go

Hello everybody.

I'm currently looking for the best USB Key, to be used for Windows to go.

So if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Right now i'm using a Kingston DT WorkSpace and the speed and IOPS is plenty for a good experience, but its 32 GB are not enough.

I also have an external SSD enclosure with a Samsung NVME SSD and thats blazing fast, but its too big and clongy.

I have tested the few USB keys i had lying around, but nothing compares to the IOPS of the Kingston DT WorkSpace.

The frustrating part is, that its easy to find alot of data about how fast a USB Key is, but there is no data on the IOPS.

(I have alot more to share about how and why, but i'm writing from my mobile and will update this post, once i get home to my PC)

Maybe something like this works, just add your own NVME and i bet the IOPS will even be higher then the other one?

https://www.amazon.nl/SABRENT-Type-C-Tool-Free-Behuizing-EC-SNVE/dp/B08RVC6F9Y

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Never used Windows To Go, but if speed is that important.
Personally, I'd rather just get an 2.5" SSD with enclosure, or NVME with enclosure, like @HanZie82 said.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

You can get a 2242 SATA SSD with an enclosure like this, remains quite compact:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32793846090.html

Wish there was something similar for the 2230 NVMes that have been made popular by the Steam Deck, but too early for that I guess.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

You can get a 2242 SATA SSD with an enclosure like this, remains quite compact:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32793846090.html

Wish there was something similar for the 2230 NVMes that have been made popular by the Steam Deck, but too early for that I guess.

That might work. I have been looking into simular solutions, but its kinda have to be something generic branded like Kingston, Verbatim, Corsair, Samsung and etc. So i can order it for free, through my work.

2 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Never used Windows To Go, but if speed is that important.
Personally, I'd rather just get an 2.5" SSD with enclosure, or NVME with enclosure, like @HanZie82 said.

I work at a Authorized Repair Center and we use Windows to go on a daily basis.
Its actually a great tool for testing.

The problem with enclosures is, that they often are big and unhandy.

2 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Maybe something like this works, just add your own NVME and i bet the IOPS will even be higher then the other one?

https://www.amazon.nl/SABRENT-Type-C-Tool-Free-Behuizing-EC-SNVE/dp/B08RVC6F9Y

I already have an USB enclosure for an Samsung SSD, but i prefer the smaller USB key format, just like the Kingston DT Workspace.

If only i could find something with simular performance to the Kingston DT Workspace, but with a higher capacity.

21 minutes ago, ImKimax said:

I work at a Authorized Repair Center and we use Windows to go on a daily basis.
Its actually a great tool for testing.

The problem with enclosures is, that they often are big and unhandy.

I already have an USB enclosure for an Samsung SSD, but i prefer the smaller USB key format, just like the Kingston DT Workspace.

If only i could find something with simular performance to the Kingston DT Workspace, but with a higher capacity.

See the link that @Kilrah posted above.

It's quite small, 7cm long x 2.5cm wide enclosure.

IMHO it's quite small, if you need to plug into somewhere in a cramped space, just get a good longer/extension cable.

and if you get a flashdrive with like hundreds of gb in it, most likely they will be pretty much as big.

The pros that I can think of by just using enclosures is that you don't need to trouble yourself with finding flashdrive with the spec that you want in the future.

Because if SSDs keeps getting cheaper, good flashdrive might become obsolete.

People who doesn't care much about speed most likely only need USB2 speed for simple stuffs. (BIOS update, etc), because it's dirt cheap.

People who care much about speed most often goes directly for SSD / NVME.

People who are inbetween the 2 above, most often just fall into the first category for meh stuffs, and fall into 2nd category for real important stuffs.

That's how I perceive it.

But yeah, if it's about IOPS or whatever else flashdrive manufacturer not often put in their spec page. Most likely you will need to either test it by yourself or find reviews.

Although, I don't think flashdrive gets much review after SSD / NVME enclosures became popular.

If you want, I can test the few flashdrives I have on hand for you, just lmk what software you want me to use.

I got like 2 different brands (Sandisk & Silicon Power) and 2-3 different models of each brand.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

3 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

But yeah, if it's about IOPS or whatever else flashdrive manufacturer not often put in their spec page. Most likely you will need to either test it by yourself or find reviews.

Although, I don't think flashdrive gets much review after SSD / NVME enclosures became popular.

i already have an Asus ROG Strix Arion with a OEM Samsung NVMe SSD in it. The performance is by far the best, but the size and cable are quite annoying.

Its easy to find a fast USB flashdrive, but IOPS is important for a good responsive feeling when using Windows To Go.

I tryed to look for reviews, but noone mentions IOPS. Its all about raw speed.

I've ordered a few USB keys for testing, so im waiting for that to happen. I just wish i could go full on and order every single USB Flash key from my works webshop, but i dont think my boss will aproove an order for over 100 USB Flashdrives. 😄 

6 minutes ago, ImKimax said:

i already have an Asus ROG Strix Arion with a OEM Samsung NVMe SSD in it. The performance is by far the best, but the size and cable are quite annoying.

Its easy to find a fast USB flashdrive, but IOPS is important for a good responsive feeling when using Windows To Go.

I tryed to look for reviews, but noone mentions IOPS. Its all about raw speed.

I've ordered a few USB keys for testing, so im waiting for that to happen. I just wish i could go full on and order every single USB Flash key from my works webshop, but i dont think my boss will aproove an order for over 100 USB Flashdrives. 😄 

Yeah you already mentioned that you already have an NVME.

@Kilrah was just giving you option of a small enclosure, since it seems it is also an aspect you need to care about.

Based on the spec page on that link, that enclosure only 1-3mm different from your Kingston. With USB 3 male port aleady embedded on it.

Yep, flashdrive reviews are usually like that.

Refresh before you reply

2 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Yeah you already mentioned that you already have an NVME.

@Kilrah was just giving you option of a small enclosure, since it seems it is also an aspect you need to care about.

Yep, flashdrive reviews are usually like that.

The smaller enclosure might be a way to go, but its harder for me to get that buy aprooved at work.

30 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

IMHO it's quite small, if you need to plug into somewhere in a cramped space, just get a good longer/extension cable.

and if you get a flashdrive with like hundreds of gb in it, most likely they will be pretty much as big.

The pros that I can think of by just using enclosures is that you don't need to trouble yourself with finding flashdrive with the spec that you want in the future.

Because if SSDs keeps getting cheaper, good flashdrive might become obsolete.

People who doesn't care much about speed most likely only need USB2 speed for simple stuffs. (BIOS update, etc), because it's dirt cheap.

People who care much about speed most often goes directly for SSD / NVME.

People who are inbetween the 2 above, most often just fall into the first category for meh stuffs, and fall into 2nd category for real important stuffs.

That's how I perceive it.

If you want, I can test the few flashdrives I have on hand for you, just lmk what software you want me to use.

I got like 2 different brands (Sandisk & Silicon Power) and 2-3 different models of each brand.

I would love to get help from the community, that was actually one of the reasons i posted it here.

Could be fun, if the whole community got together and created our own spread sheet of performance.

i've tried a few benchmarks, but i ended on CrystalDiskMark.

My settings are: NVMe SSD
And the profile is: Real World Performance [+Mix] (Mix ratio at 50/50)

The result can always be posted as text file