Artifacts showing on my daughter's Lenovo tablet. Is this software related or should I call customer support?

DCCFan

A few days ago I noticed that several pictures she took were showing up corrupted (see attached pics) but I blamed the SD card for it. But today I was using the tablet to look at some facebook marketplace items and to shop and the artifacts started blurring graphical content. It even happened on this forum. Is there a software fix for this or is this hardware related? The warranty is still active thankfully.

Screenshot_20230213-001107.jpg

Screenshot_20230215-135655.jpg

Screenshot_20230215-141852.jpg

Screenshot_20230215-141912.jpg

20 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

A few days ago I noticed that several pictures she took were showing up corrupted (see attached pics) but I blamed the SD card for it. But today I was using the tablet to look at some facebook marketplace items and to shop and the artifacts started blurring graphical content. It even happened on this forum. Is there a software fix for this or is this hardware related? The warranty is still active thankfully.

The fact that you can take screenshots of it leads me to think it's actually a software issue, though possibly with a hardware error underlying it.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB /

TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Usually a sign of failing VRAM, so hardware.

2 hours ago, AbydosOne said:

The fact that you can take screenshots of it leads me to think it's actually a software issue, though possibly with a hardware error underlying it.

Thanks so much folks, will call customer support to see what they say. Better to be safe. 

It just happened again and messed up Anthony's face LoL

Screenshot_20230215-172532.jpg

If this was a standard operating system, there would be tools to disable the display software, like in windows and Linux.  Not the slightest clue on android, especially without admin / root access.

I see what looks like a whatapp icon.  You also mentioned facebook marketplace.  You don't have to make a separate ebay account and it's almost too easy to setup.

I strongly enourage you (if others you communicate with don't use it) to NOT use whatsapp.  It goes straight to facebook servers and that's no good for your privacy.  I'd say if cost isn't an issue, stick eith regular old sms text messaging.  WhatsApp is used WAY too much, long after many areas now have much more affordable texting and data plans.

Please consider this and look into setting up a firewall on the tablet.  Google collects an inordinate amount of data, stop it from leaving the network by blocking all system and regular apps.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

100% hardware issue. The corrupted pictures makes me think ram related but it could be anything, even power delivery.

18 hours ago, E-waste said:

If this was a standard operating system, there would be tools to disable the display software, like in windows and Linux.  Not the slightest clue on android, especially without admin / root access.

I see what looks like a whatapp icon.  You also mentioned facebook marketplace.  You don't have to make a separate ebay account and it's almost too easy to setup.

I strongly enourage you (if others you communicate with don't use it) to NOT use whatsapp.  It goes straight to facebook servers and that's no good for your privacy.  I'd say if cost isn't an issue, stick eith regular old sms text messaging.  WhatsApp is used WAY too much, long after many areas now have much more affordable texting and data plans.

Please consider this and look into setting up a firewall on the tablet.  Google collects an inordinate amount of data, stop it from leaving the network by blocking all system and regular apps.

Not to mínimod, but your constant interjections are continuously getting off the topic of what people are asking! This person is asking a specific question, and you keep doing this!! They didnt ask about WhatsApp facebook or google tracking. I agree with your beliefs, but there is a place for them, and this is not it!

OP, see if you can load the tablet in a safe mode, there really isn’t much you can do about drivers on android. If it works, it might be an applicaton

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4