Upgrading - AMD or Intel?

So, I've been running a 2700x since it came out and have had to stick with Windows 10 due repeated instances of it choking horrendously on Windows 11.

I'm looking at either a R9 7900x or an I7-13700kf, my main priority is just having enough horses to last me until I decide to upgrade four, or even five years down the road from now.

Does anyone know if Windows 11 still has performance issues with AMD?

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Intel latest cpus are cheaper and their highest consumer tier cpus are at a kneck to kneck comparison in performance. Go Intel. Just make sure you have an adequate cooler rather than stock perferaby as intels tend to overheat more then ryzen's. Liquid cooler would be a good option for a higher end chip like an i7 13700k.

Intel 12th gen is very stable and efficient. Set and forget type of deal. Can recommend.

19 minutes ago, knoxxb12 said:

Intel 12th gen is very stable and efficient. Set and forget type of deal. Can recommend.

Just get an actual cooler if you select anything higher than a 12600k. The RM1 cooler that comes with the 12700 is utter garbage and I still can't believe Intel is getting away with it. It will for sure overheat even at stock settings. Mine hits 80 degrees in games with a FPS cap and Hyperthreading turned off. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

If you want a quick fix, it's likely you can just grab a 5800X3D and drop it in your existing motherboard. In games and desktop use, it will perform similarly to both AMD's 7000 and Intel 13th gen series.

If you want to be able to just upgrade a CPU in 4 or 5 years, then get the AM5 system which should offer at least a few generations of CPU support. Intel LGA1700 is already at its end.

That said, new 7000 X3D chips are releasing this month. If you want to wait, those are the one's I'd be going after.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

right i would say wait for 7000x3D or go 5800x3D or intel... also going DDR5 makes more sense for "future proofing" literally. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Basically agree with the others, Intel if you want to build out a new system, there the most stable for latest gen at the moment, if you'd prefer the easiest route and would like to push another 4 - 5 years out of your current system drop in a 5800X3D and you can skip All the current stuff (that's the route I went), X3D keeps right up with the latest flagship from both companies 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

On 2/14/2023 at 11:00 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Just get an actual cooler if you select anything higher than a 12600k. The RM1 cooler that comes with the 12700 is utter garbage and I still can't believe Intel is getting away with it. It will for sure overheat even at stock settings. Mine hits 80 degrees in games with a FPS cap and Hyperthreading turned off. 

On 2/14/2023 at 10:02 PM, RyanWakileh said:

Intel latest cpus are cheaper and their highest consumer tier cpus are at a kneck to kneck comparison in performance. Go Intel. Just make sure you have an adequate cooler rather than stock perferaby as intels tend to overheat more then ryzen's. Liquid cooler would be a good option for a higher end chip like an i7 13700k.

Already ahead on that, I have all sorts of soft-line watercooling parts and radiators so it would be no problem watercooling it. I think it's more a matter of if I take the sane option and use an adequate case or see if I can push my old Wavemaster to the brink.

Also due to unforeseen bills I'll likely end up going with a 12600kf. I will eventually have to make the jump to 11, so I'd rather just do it now and get the adjustment period over with.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.