new gpu and psu, melted fan wires, no post

wrathofryuk

so i just got myself a new gpu and psu and after installing them i started up the pc. Within a couple seconds of pressing the power button 2 fan wires started to melt and smoke up. The cpu fan header and argb wires were completely ruined. I also did make sure that i changed the psu cables for the new ones. I tried using my new and old psu but now when i press the power button nothing happens. The motherboard light is still on and the psu makes an electrical zap noise on power up. any ideas??

685F48AA-562E-443A-83C9-AF478D515875.jpeg

1C743027-CA01-4604-9C00-6666B8297911.jpeg

My guess would be you inserted the connector into the wrong header, looks like a 5v rgb header on the motheboard, and you somehow created a short circuit and the wire or wires having the lowest resistance overheated until it melted the insulation on it.

Unplug that connector from the motherboard. Not much you can do now you have to remove the sleeve from the cable and make sure that all along the cable, the wires are not touching (use electrical tape around each wire in place of the insulation on each wire), all the way down to the connector.

If you do it right, at least you won't have a short circuit between the wires hidden under that sleeve.

Unplug the connector from the motherboard and leave it unplugged.

I don't know what video card you have and where that connector with melted wires comes from (assume comes from video card fans?)

common issue...I have a set of rgb fan from alphacool but they are indeed 5 volt on the rgb but they were excatly the same connector. Forcable management i used a splitters for the 3 fans and another for the 3 rgb cables. by accident as i did not pay attention i placed an rgb cable in the wrong splitter and the cable melted within 2 or 3 seconds as it was 12v.

fan still works so not a big deal and I simply cut the cable about 1cm from the fan and used a razor blade to seperate the wires then isolate them.

6 hours ago, mariushm said:

My guess would be you inserted the connector into the wrong header, looks like a 5v rgb header on the motheboard, and you somehow created a short circuit and the wire or wires having the lowest resistance overheated until it melted the insulation on it.

Unplug that connector from the motherboard. Not much you can do now you have to remove the sleeve from the cable and make sure that all along the cable, the wires are not touching (use electrical tape around each wire in place of the insulation on each wire), all the way down to the connector.

If you do it right, at least you won't have a short circuit between the wires hidden under that sleeve.

Unplug the connector from the motherboard and leave it unplugged.

I don't know what video card you have and where that connector with melted wires comes from (assume comes from video card fans?)

i just ended up buying new fans because i wasn’t sure if it was safe to use them still. I still have the issue where the pc won’t turn on no matter which psu i use. Only thing i could think of is that the new psu may have been bad and messed up the motherboard or other components?