Need advice with connecting Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB fan

15 minutes ago, ConsolePlayerBuildingNewPC said:

Ah mate you're an absolute legend. I've got 3 fans at bottom and 2 large ones on the side. Not sure if they need to be daisy chained yet but if I'll sort it out and if i have questions I'll try put them back on here. I think you're right regarding the fan stuff. I'll probably email Thermalright and ask them to explain the RGB stuff and have them send a replacement black splitter since mine is faulty

yes you may need to use a splitter to get all fans connected. no more than 3 fans per connector on the mb unless you have a fan hub which are relatively cheap and can be better for managing all those annoying fan cables

6 minutes ago, MegaloGamiac said:

yes you may need to use a splitter to get all fans connected. no more than 3 fans per connector on the mb unless you have a fan hub which are relatively cheap and can be better for managing all those annoying fan cables

I've got what appears to be a fan hub on my fractal torrent case actually. There's a bunch of pins to connect fans at the bottom

1 minute ago, ConsolePlayerBuildingNewPC said:

sorry not sure i understand this point. is this related to connecting the PSU? so one of the ends must go into the motherboard and the other must go into the PSU and you can't get it confused?

no, there are 4 pins on the fan connector and one of those pins are ground. if you connect the fan connector upside down then the ground wont be going into the ground. that diagram shows what each pin on the 4 pin does. so with the cpu fan the ground is the pin on the far right however with the sys fans the ground pin is on the left (thats why on the diagram it has a little 1 on the right of the cpu_fan and the 1 is on the left of the sys_fan, this is because pin one is the ground pin). when you look at your fan cable make sure the ground pin goes into the correct hole (you can usually tell because the 4 thin wires going into the connector will have 1 wire a different colour, if you dont have that then see if it has any markings at all. this shouldnt be an issue too much as you shouldnt be able to put it in upside down but just check the cable first for any indicators). your fans dont need to get power from the psu they get it from one of the pins

2 minutes ago, ConsolePlayerBuildingNewPC said:

I've got what appears to be a fan hub on my fractal torrent case actually. There's a bunch of pins to connect fans at the bottom

awesome, plug all case fans into that and then plug the fan hub into one of the sys_fan connectors on your mb. just make sure its a fan hub and not an rgb controller. and dont force anything if its not going in easily

Just now, MegaloGamiac said:

awesome, plug all case fans into that and then plug the fan hub into one of the sys_fan connectors on your mb. just make sure its a fan hub and not an rgb controller. and dont force anything if its not going in easily

let me check for you its actually a fan hub

2 minutes ago, MegaloGamiac said:

no, there are 4 pins on the fan connector and one of those pins are ground. if you connect the fan connector upside down then the ground wont be going into the ground. that diagram shows what each pin on the 4 pin does. so with the cpu fan the ground is the pin on the far right however with the sys fans the ground pin is on the left (thats why on the diagram it has a little 1 on the right of the cpu_fan and the 1 is on the left of the sys_fan, this is because pin one is the ground pin). when you look at your fan cable make sure the ground pin goes into the correct hole (you can usually tell because the 4 thin wires going into the connector will have 1 wire a different colour, if you dont have that then see if it has any markings at all. this shouldnt be an issue too much as you shouldnt be able to put it in upside down but just check the cable first for any indicators). your fans dont need to get power from the psu they get it from one of the pins

Ah i think there's like a plastic bit on the mobo which sort of guides you into the right direction. I think the plastic bit slots into the opening on one side of the female end of the fan if im not mistaken

Just now, MegaloGamiac said:

let me check for you its actually a fan hub

thanks dude its a fractal torrent case the white one

thanks dude its a fractal torrent case the white one

yes its a fan hub

2 minutes ago, ConsolePlayerBuildingNewPC said:

Ah i think there's like a plastic bit on the mobo which sort of guides you into the right direction. I think the plastic bit slots into the opening on one side of the female end of the fan if im not mistaken

yep, awesome, you shouldn't have any issues then

1 minute ago, MegaloGamiac said:

yep, awesome, you shouldn't have any issues then

sorry anther q. I've got 2 8 pin cpu connecters with my Corsair RM850x. it seems like my mobo can take 2 8pins as well but could you just confirm?

sorry anther q. I've got 2 8 pin cpu connecters with my Corsair RM850x. it seems like my mobo can take 2 8pins as well but could you just confirm?

yeah your 2 8 pin connectors plug in on the top left using a single cable that goes into your psu. you also have a chunky 24 pin connector that goes in on the right side of your board

yeah your 2 8 pin connectors plug in on the top left using a single cable that goes into your psu. you also have a chunky 24 pin connector that goes in on the right side of your board

your cable should say cpu on it

Ive got 2 separate 8pi cables for the cpu i think?

5 minutes ago, ConsolePlayerBuildingNewPC said:

Ive got 2 separate 8pi cables for the cpu i think?

not sure why they are 2 separate cables but after a little checking apparently thats quite normal. use both but make sure they are definitely labelled cpu as you dont want to use a pcie or gpu power cable for the cpu

2 minutes ago, MegaloGamiac said:

not sure why they are 2 separate cables but after a little checking apparently thats quite normal. use both but make sure they are definitely labelled cpu as you dont want to use a pcie or gpu power cable for the cpu

looking at it you might only need one of those. what cpu are you using?

one cable will deliver 300w which is usually more than enough so you might not even need to bother with the second

there does seem to be conflicting information about how many to use. some people say you only need one and others say if your mother board has 2 then you need to use 2. i've always populated both on mine

3 minutes ago, MegaloGamiac said:

there does seem to be conflicting information about how many to use. some people say you only need one and others say if your mother board has 2 then you need to use 2. i've always populated both on mine

ive got a i7 13 gen so i think ill go with 2!

hopefully i've helped, my friends are moaning at me now to get onto hunt showdown so i'm going to have to bail at this point but good luck with the rest of it and enjoy the world of pc gaming

also i just checked my rig and my girlfriends an we both have separate 8 pin cpu connectors. not sure why i thought they we 8+8 pins

13 minutes ago, MegaloGamiac said:

hopefully i've helped, my friends are moaning at me now to get onto hunt showdown so i'm going to have to bail at this point but good luck with the rest of it and enjoy the world of pc gaming

thanks man lets play too once i get this rubbish in order haha