Cloning RAID 0 to single NVMe

aDoomGuy

I'm trying to use Macrium Reflect trial to make a backup of my OS so I can use the USB media to restore the backup to my new NVMe. Anyone know if this will this work? I'm going to tear down the NVMe RAID after backup is done. ....in 3 hours.... So curious to know if this will work.

RAID drives are two Kingston a2000 1TB (2TB total). New drive is Kingston Fury Renegade gen4 2TB. Raid is set up in BIOS on B550-E Gaming.

My plan was to make backup to my Seagate Barracuda. Then boot and shut NVMe RAID off. Then boot into the Macrium environment and resore the backup to the new drive. I hope to not reinstall my entire system, Acronis OEM didn't work for this and I didn't feel like coughing up the dough for a full licence. 馃槄

This will work, without any paywalls?

In principle yes, in practice your cloned system will likely not boot until you start it in safe mode from the recovery partition/boot media, afterwards it should be fine.

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

In principle yes, in practice your cloned system will likely not boot until you start it in safe mode from the recovery partition/boot media, afterwards it should be fine.

Thanks buddy. I got install media on hand so if thats the only problem that occur then I'll deal with that. 馃檪

What Killah said.. I've done this a lot with 2012 servers that are running on HDs and schlocky RAID controllers like bargain basement Perc 300s and moved that mess to a single sata SSD. Even done it with RAID 5. The feeling of bliss when I'm not running off that pile of spinning rust waiting to let the magic smoke out is amazing.聽

Macrium will do the move, but windows will want to boot into the prior RAID environment and this is causing your problem. Oddly Windows Server backup and restore does this trick. Most cloning tools have a problem because they are doing a true clone.聽

Try setting windows to boot into safe mode, then do the clone. When windows boots on the new device it will be in safe mode it should resolve the issue. Same process as moving windows from RAID back to ahci.

7 hours ago, wseaton said:

What Killah said.. I've done this a lot with 2012 servers that are running on HDs and schlocky RAID controllers like bargain basement Perc 300s and moved that mess to a single sata SSD. Even done it with RAID 5. The feeling of bliss when I'm not running off that pile of spinning rust waiting to let the magic smoke out is amazing.聽

Macrium will do the move, but windows will want to boot into the prior RAID environment and this is causing your problem. Oddly Windows Server backup and restore does this trick. Most cloning tools have a problem because they are doing a true clone.聽

Try setting windows to boot into safe mode, then do the clone. When windows boots on the new device it will be in safe mode it should resolve the issue. Same process as moving windows from RAID back to ahci.

Well, I got BSOD complaining about boot device. Couldn't be fixed with startup repair, reset or sfc etc. Maybe I'll try to do the safe mode thing if I think it's worth putting my RAID NVMe drives back the way they where or if I find a way to get the raid back online after moving one of the drives to another slot.

Thanks for your input.

2 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Couldn't be fixed with startup repair, reset or sfc etc.

You need safe mode but you don't need to redo the whole thing, go to Advanced Startup in the recovery, then you can start in safe mode from there.

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2