Asus RT-AX86U Firmware

chris1981

Updated my asus rt-ax86u firmware to version 3.0.0.4.388.22525.  Lost internet. Asus gui was telling me disconnected ethernet cable between my router and modem(Virgin media super hub 3) or dhcp error. Reset everything. Still no joy. Did a factory reset on the router. Still no internet. Went back to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068. Did a factory rest. Internet straight away. Tried to update to the latest firmware again. Lost internet again. Did a factory reset. No internet(Did try 4 different ethernet cables). Went back to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068. Did a factory reset. Internet straight away again. I think if you have this asus rt-ax86u router and a virgin superhub 3 it be best  to avoid this latest firmware update!

• 3 weeks later...

fwebp.png.2e4bbf0354e58fa581ed14e3ebd625d5.png

I have the ASUS RT-AX88U and a day or so ago, upgraded to...

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525

as with all firmware upgrades, its difficult to observe any good or bad issues, unless its been running for several weeks, and patterns stat to emerge .

I digress, Im seeing overall wifi instability especially on WIFI6 devices. Instability in that whilst the connection doesn't drop, there will be no throughput of data etc and devices start reporting a dropout in internet connection.

Seems to recover shortly after.

Also, general connection speeds seem a tad lower, or take time to build up to the maximum speed when looking at the reported client TX rates.

I get that WIFI conditions are variable at the best of times, and maybe it's the placebo effect in the firmware update.... be that as it may, anyone else observed general instability with this release?

Have gone back to the early Jan release of 3.0.0.4.388.22237 for the time being.

Oh and Im on Virgin Media also with the Superhub4 on 1gb connection

In general I would reccomend using AsusWRT Merlin instead of he official AsusWRT firmware.

Merlin also gives access to Diversion (in router adblocking) and Skynet (extension of the firewall).