Planning on building my first ever PC. Need to know if this selection is suitable

BeerHuntor
Go to solution Solved by Queen Chrysalis,

This would be ar revised list with your requested considerations:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  (£311.99 @ Technextday) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  (£62.51 @ Technextday) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760M AORUS ELITE AX Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£183.94 @ Technextday) 
Memory: Kingston Renegade Silver 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory  (£157.48 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Kingston NV2 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (£105.78 @ Box Limited) 
Video Card: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  (£1090.49 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Case: Aerocool Aero One Mini Eclipse MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£56.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: MSI MPG A1000G 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£151.71 @ Technextday) 
Total: £2120.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-06 23:26 GMT+0000

Hey guys,  I am planning on building my first ever PC.  I have only ever got prebuilt ones before now, but have some money aside to build myself a new rig.  I have tried to do all the research I can, but still unsure if the parts I have selected are good enough, or if I have missed anything specific.  This is my current selection https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zt52LkWC-P8jHB5Ifn_GnjncgJFZwKDsuEaqx5OBUUk/edit?usp=sharing

The rig will be used for gaming (on the more demanding end with simulator stuff, MSFS, DCS etc) primarily, with other games such as overwatch, minecraft etc on the lower end.  I want to be able to use VR in these games with my Quest 2.  I will also be using it for livestreaming said games, and I need it to be able to do programming, Unity/Java development etc.  That's practically it.  I was planning on just upgrading my current rig, but thought why not go the whole hog and get a complete new one. - Its a substantial upgrade from my current one. 

Current Specs: 

3 27" MSI OPTIX MAG Series currently in surround (although cant get the 165MHz in surround for some reason 2 via DP 1 via HDMI) 
1 21" Generic ASUS monitor via VGA ( i think its VGA - The bigger white connection)

i5-9400F
ASUSTeK PRIME H310M-R R2.0

RTX 2060
32GB DDR4 1332MHz (16-18-18-35) 
10TB HHD - For all my Games. 
2TB SSD for OS
And a couple 2TB HHD for overflow, that are not being used (one used to be my old boot drive, think its on its way out as had many problems with it)

Any help / tips / or validation that this build will be sufficient for what I need would be awesome.  Thank you 

That case has no airflow.

In the UK, you could get a system that will game much faster as this for a lot less:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13400F 2.5 GHz 10-Core Processor  (£199.11 @ Technextday) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£116.91 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£74.86 @ Technextday) 
Storage: Kingston NV2 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (£105.78 @ Box Limited) 
Video Card: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  (£1090.49 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse G360A ATX Mid Tower Case  (£89.99 @ AWD-IT) 
Power Supply: MSI MPG A1000G 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£151.71 @ Technextday) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  (£6.79 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1898.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-06 21:59 GMT+0000

With DDR5 memory, it's still under $2000 and will be way faster;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13400F 2.5 GHz 10-Core Processor  (£199.11 @ Technextday) 
Motherboard: ASRock B760M PG SONIC WiFi Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£166.70 @ NeoComputers) 
Memory: Kingston Renegade Silver 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory  (£157.48 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Aerocool Aero One Mini Eclipse MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£56.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1997.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-06 22:01 GMT+0000

The 7900xtx is a lot faster than the 4070ti and it only costs a little more.

The fans on that GPU actually light up with an RGB effect, and the backplate has RGB too.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

budget is really no factor tbh,  i only looked at scan as im familiar with the store, and not sure where else I could get other parts here in the UK. I read that for VR gaming NVIDIA is the way to go, How much faster would these be compared with my selection? Just trying to look at where I went wrong. 

Also I see you selected the i5 - this only runs at 2.5Ghz base speed. Which is slower than my current 9400F. And that is the current bottleneck in my system. Ideally I would like the i9 or similar in terms of speed

10 minutes ago, BeerHuntor said:

budget is really no factor tbh,  i only looked at scan as im familiar with the store, and not sure where else I could get other parts here in the UK. I read that for VR gaming NVIDIA is the way to go, How much faster would these be compared with my selection? Just trying to look at where I went wrong

Just overspending on brands as opposed to spec.  Both are excellent for VR, nvidia just does a little better across similar product levels (at VR).  But the 7900xtx is not on the same product level as the 4070ti, it's more comparable to a 4090. 

Mainly::

• Overbuying on CPU.  The 13900k isn't gonna be faster, it just has more cores, but they're still the same cores, and games aren't gonna use that many cores.  Not even close
  • The SN570 is an old DRAMless gen 3 drive.  The NV2 is a dramless gen 4 and it costs less.
  • 360mm AiO is just silly for any CPU less than the 13900k.  The 13400f doesn't even need the dark rock 4, but it's a good deal for an excellent CPU cooler.
  • $700 motherboard...  just no.  Sorry, just no.  The B660 TUF is on a really good sale for what would otherwise be like a $200 board, and there's really nothing to gain beyond that for gaming.  It'll have all the features, good cooling, good voltage control, and PBO will boost the CPU as fast as it needs to go.
  • Case with no airflow.
10 minutes ago, BeerHuntor said:

budget is really no factor tbh,

Are you a billionaire or did you work for this money?  Either way, your money is your time and throwing it away for nothing isn't a good idea.  And I'm not talking about throwing it at marginal performance, I'm talking about literally nothing.

Honestly, the second system I posted would play literally every game as fast as literally possible right now and it has a pretty cool aesthetic for $2000.

But I was mistaken, it does seem like VR is doing a lot better on the nvidia side after reading further about current RDNA 3 stuff.  If VR is more important, I'd spec it like this with a 4070ti and an 850w PSU:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B760M PG SONIC WiFi Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£166.70 @ NeoComputers) 
Video Card: Inno3D X3 GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  (£809.89 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£99.99 @ AWD-IT) 
Total: £1771.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-06 22:21 GMT+0000

As for where to buy in the UK, if you click the hyperlinks for each part, PCPartPicker will list each merchant selling it and the price with a link to the sales page.

1 minute ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

I suppose if you really don't care about budget, the one thing you could swap would be a 13600k for the 13400f for boost clocks, and that would be 100 pounds more:

PCPartPicker Part List

Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  (£6.79 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £2110.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-06 22:17 GMT+0000

As for where to buy in the UK, if you click the hyperlinks for each part, PCPartPicker will list each merchant selling it and the price with a link to the sales page.

Thanks, yeah as I mentioned, I have only ever really bought pre built ones, from Scan and catalogues. So didn't even know about PCPartPicker for the UK, I have heard of newegg but that's an American thing, so this is all new to me.  It seems I've definitely not got the right idea when it came to building a PC.  And this revised list is still 600 cheaper than mine 😕 lol thanks again

1 minute ago, BeerHuntor said:

Thanks, yeah as I mentioned, I have only ever really bought pre built ones, from Scan and catalogues. So didn't even know about PCPartPicker for the UK, I have heard of newegg but that's an American thing, so this is all new to me.  It seems I've definitely not got the right idea when it came to building a PC.  And this revised list is still 600 cheaper than mine 😕 lol thanks again

i updated that post, refresh and read it again.

4 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

i updated that post, refresh and read it again.

Thanks.  I have taken a look, and don't mind the 7900NXT if it would give me better performance over the 4070TI ..  I have never had AMD graphics before, So not sure of their naming schemes and what is equivalent to the latest nVidia cards.  Would the first or the second revision be better for my needs? 

5 minutes ago, BeerHuntor said:

Thanks.  I have taken a look, and don't mind the 7900NXT if it would give me better performance over the 4070TI ..  I have never had AMD graphics before, So not sure of their naming schemes and what is equivalent to the latest nVidia cards.  Would the first or the second revision be better for my needs? 

The revision that you see now would be better in VR (Inno3D 4070ti / Fractal Design ION 850w PSU).  The older version would be better for general gaming (Hellhound 7900XTX / 1000w MSI MPG 1000wPSU).  Both would be very very good for general gaming, but the 7900xtx would be absolutely top of the line (save for a 4090 which costs over twice as much for slightly more performance).  In VR, the 7900XTX would work well, but the 4070ti whas much better integration to VR systems and would be less likely to run into small issues, but both would work.

here are the links to the two parts I changed out from the first revision:

MSI MPG A1000G 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (MPG A1000G) - PCPartPicker

PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card (RX7900XTX 24G-L/OC) - PCPartPicker

Everything else is the same.

3 minutes ago, BeerHuntor said:

So i would still need the case fan? Its not on the latest revision, so just double checking 🙂

No you do not need it.  I fucked that up from another build I was doing for someone else.

if you click on the link at the top of the parts list, it will show you all of the parts in a nice list view on PCPartPicker's website.

11 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

No you do not need it.  I fucked that up from another build I was doing for someone else.

Ok thanks.  I have a question.  How much better performance will I see in VR specifically in DCS/MSFS etc with the 4070TI compared with the 7900XTX - I'm asking as I have just watched a youtube video from LTT which discusses the 4070TI and the 7900XTX beats out the 4070TI in almost every benchmark.  If its only a matter of a few percentile, I might consider going the AMD route due to the amount of time I will actually spend in VR than not. 

Ok thanks.  I have a question.  How much better performance will I see in VR specifically in DCS/MSFS etc with the 4070TI compared with the 7900XTX - I'm asking as I have just watched a youtube video from LTT which discusses the 4070TI and the 7900XTX beats out the 4070TI in almost every benchmark.  If its only a matter of a few percentile, I might consider going the AMD route due to the amount of time I will actually spend in VR than not. 

I'm just going off of forum data, maybe drivers have imrproved and now it's better.  They both do better in VR than older cards, so frankly if you want the XTX, get it, it's VRAM pool will be abig advantage in the future.

Will I need the original PSU you had on the list too? Or would the 850 (iirc) suffice?

14 minutes ago, BeerHuntor said:

Will I need the original PSU you had on the list too? Or would the 850 (iirc) suffice?

Also, don;t get the reference 7900xtx, the coolers have issues.  Get one of the noin-freferfence models.

Non reference models? How would I know which are which? Also, as much as I loved sonic in the past, would there be an equivalent board without the sonic design, at a couple years the good side of 40 I maybe a little old to have sonic in my pc lol.

7 minutes ago, BeerHuntor said:

Non reference models? How would I know which are which? Also, as much as I loved sonic in the past, would there be an equivalent board without the sonic design, at a couple years the good side of 40 I maybe a little old to have sonic in my pc lol.

Anything that doesn't use this cooler.  The hellhound was only one available that didn't sue the bad cooler:

image.jpeg.fec2a4f2b7080633357b6c5a3074125c.jpeg

Mobo:

Gigabyte B760M AORUS ELITE AX Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (B760M AORUS ELITE AX) - PCPartPicker

This would be ar revised list with your requested considerations:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B760M AORUS ELITE AX Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£183.94 @ Technextday) 
Total: £2120.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-06 23:26 GMT+0000

Thank you very much for your help.  Sorry to have been such a pain 😄

No worries, i do this for fun.