Only 1 of 4 ram slots working, broken mobo or other cause?

ajj_howtorot
Go to solution Solved by johnno23,

I cannot imagine just using the ram would damage the slot unless you accidently try to force a stick the wrong direction for example before realising. I would also suggest you grab a light source as flashlight on the phone or an old fashioned torch and look carefully inside the dimm slots. maybe just a tiny piece of dirt got inside and is causing an issue. 

you could also consider a soft tooth brush and isopropyl alcohol and gently clean the internal area of the dimm slots.Simple things like dirt are often overlooked.

Also a good light source and inpection will let you see if there is any accidental and visible damage.

My pc was working fine this morning, asus ch7, 3600x, rtx3070, 8gb x 2 ram @3600mhz working in dual channel

id decided to upgrade my ram, opened up my pc, i didnt touch anything apart from my ram, removed the old 2 sticks, replaced with new 16x2gb @3600mhz sticks in the exact same slots, and then got greedy and went ahead and put in the old 2 into remaining slots, 

ended with a 0d qcode, so i reset cmos, and starting with 1 stick at a time ive tested all sticks i have at hand.

all sticks now work, but only when its in A2. i can have sticks in A2 and B2, but only the one in A2 will light up and in bios and task manager i only see memory of 1 stick in A2.

Also having all 4 sticks in causes 0d error again. (only stickin A2 lights up)

any idea what might be the problem? im really hoping its not a faulty ram slot but at the same time hopeful because unlikely all 3 ramslots got damaged and hopefully something else is the problem

specs:

mobo: ASUS crosshair vii hero

cpu: amd 3600x

gpu: rtx 3070

ram: old- 8gb x 2 g.skill trident @3600mhz c18d

new- 16gb x 2 g.skill trident neo@3600mhz c18d

it is possible an update to the bios is required.but it sounds more like the mismatch of ram is causing an issue. if XMP is on turn that off is a quick option to try. but persoanlly i never mix ram even though it does often work I just dont like tasking the risks.

Also AMD like using all channels so 4 x 8 would have been faster than 2 x 16 in most scenarios.

14 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

it is possible an update to the bios is required.but it sounds more like the mismatch of ram is causing an issue. if XMP is on turn that off is a quick option to try. but persoanlly i never mix ram even though it does often work I just dont like tasking the risks.

Also AMD like using all channels so 4 x 8 would have been faster than 2 x 16 in most scenarios.

thank you for your input

one weird thing is that even if i only use the 2 new sticks, only a2 slot works now.

is there a chance using all 4 sticks made some other permanent changes?

im willing to just run the 2 new sticks for 32gb if trying to use both old and new is too much trouble...but at the moment im stuck running 1 stick of 16gb

I cannot imagine just using the ram would damage the slot unless you accidently try to force a stick the wrong direction for example before realising. I would also suggest you grab a light source as flashlight on the phone or an old fashioned torch and look carefully inside the dimm slots. maybe just a tiny piece of dirt got inside and is causing an issue. 

you could also consider a soft tooth brush and isopropyl alcohol and gently clean the internal area of the dimm slots.Simple things like dirt are often overlooked.

Also a good light source and inpection will let you see if there is any accidental and visible damage.

33 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

thanks a lot for your suggestions, it turns out some cat hair may have caused an issue as my B2 slot is now working after a quick air cleanout.

my cat wasnt anywhere near at the time i was tinkering but i guess that stuff can still happen