Weird noises coming from the inside of my PC

Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,

The Rhythm of the noise sounds more like a HDD to me as well. However, I have heard GPU coil whine in similar patterns, if it get's louder and faster the heavier GPU load you throw at it I'd say it's the GPU, if it is there is nothing you can do nor is there anything to worry about. GPU coil whine is perfectly normal and really the worst it can do is be annoying. If you didn't have it prior to putting the GPU in the system I'd say that is 100% what it is. I would personally test for the noise with the HDD unplugged just in case but, it does seem to just be coil whine from the GPU. 

Recording of the noise, edited to be as noticeable as possible. Notice the kind of rhythmic noises behind the ambient fan noise. Could this be coil whine, maybe a faulty fan? I am not sure. None of the fans seem to be hitting anything. I suspect from listening that the noise might be coming from the graphics card. This is also suggested by the fact that the noise is more noticeable the more load is on the GPU. The noise is pretty loud and noticeable IRL but it was difficult to record. This has been going on for some weeks(?) and I don't remember hearing this noise before that. What could be causing this? Should I be worried?

Thank you in advance!!

Can't tell what it sounds like but I feel like it could be one of the following (given the rhythm):

- Coil whine on the graphics card

- Coil whine on the motherboard from stress on PCIe slot

- Hard drive spindle in movement

- SSD write whine

Edited by thekingofmonks

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

6 minutes ago, thekingofmonks said:

Can't tell what it sounds like but I feel like it could be one of the following:

- Coil whine on the graphics card

- Coil whine on the motherboard from stress on PCIe slot

- Hard drive spindle in movement

- SSD write whine

Thanks for the reply!
I did a bit more testing and figured that the sound increases specifically the more intensly the VRAM is used. Is this possible?
And if this is coil whine, it is normal and to be expected, not harmful and nothing can be done, right?

24 minutes ago, BloodyFruitDestroyer said:

Recording of the noise, edited to be as noticeable as possible. Notice the kind of rhythmic noises behind the ambient fan noise. Could this be coil whine, maybe a faulty fan? I am not sure. None of the fans seem to be hitting anything. I suspect from listening that the noise might be coming from the graphics card. This is also suggested by the fact that the noise is more noticeable the more load is on the GPU. The noise is pretty loud and noticeable IRL but it was difficult to record. This has been going on for some weeks(?) and I don't remember hearing this noise before that. What could be causing this? Should I be worried?

Thank you in advance!!

Can you upload un edited bcz it litreally sounds like some Steaming (High airflow noice).  For Headphone users Dont listen to it 🙂 

1 minute ago, BloodyFruitDestroyer said:

Here is the unedited audio. It is pretty quiet and the fans drown out a lot of the noise though.

Do you have a FAN in your room can you turn off it and record the audio, Gpu coil whine is a thing with higher vram usage you are also using the GPU so it will use more power also and what is your specs. 

1 minute ago, Gokul_P said:

Do you have a FAN in your room can you turn off it and record the audio, Gpu coil whine is a thing with higher vram usage you are also using the GPU so it will use more power also and what is your specs. 

The only fans are inside my pc and therefore I can't really turn them off.
Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PSU: CORSAIR PSU CX600 600W
RAM: 2xSamsung M378A1K43CB2-CTD
Mobo: ASRock Z390 Pro4
1xNVME SSD, 1xHDD, 1xSATA SSD (Please inform me if further details are needed)

9 minutes ago, BloodyFruitDestroyer said:

The only fans are inside my pc and therefore I can't really turn them off.
Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PSU: CORSAIR PSU CX600 600W
RAM: 2xSamsung M378A1K43CB2-CTD
Mobo: ASRock Z390 Pro4
1xNVME SSD, 1xHDD, 1xSATA SSD (Please inform me if further details are needed)

Then that sound is very similer to a mechanical clicking noice so could you disconnect your HDD and test if the sound presists. Is the gpu Founders edition For referance this is what coil whine should sounds like (1:48 If the video doesnt auto start from there)

4 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

Then that sound is very similer to a mechanical clicking noice so could you disconnect your HDD and test if the sound presists. Is the gpu Founders edition

I could try disconneting the HDD. The noise really doesn't seem to be coming from the HDD though and is only really present during intense VRAM usage and not HDD usage.
The GPU has been ripped out of a HP prebuilt PC, seems like this exact model I found on Google.

9 minutes ago, BloodyFruitDestroyer said:

I could try disconneting the HDD. The noise really doesn't seem to be coming from the HDD though and is only really present during intense VRAM usage and not HDD usage.
The GPU has been ripped out of a HP prebuilt PC, seems like this exact model I found on Google.

It seems that gpu has This very bad coil whine pattern and it is from HP So You cant really do anything about it. 

The Rhythm of the noise sounds more like a HDD to me as well. However, I have heard GPU coil whine in similar patterns, if it get's louder and faster the heavier GPU load you throw at it I'd say it's the GPU, if it is there is nothing you can do nor is there anything to worry about. GPU coil whine is perfectly normal and really the worst it can do is be annoying. If you didn't have it prior to putting the GPU in the system I'd say that is 100% what it is. I would personally test for the noise with the HDD unplugged just in case but, it does seem to just be coil whine from the GPU. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I unplugged the HDD and the noise continues. So it's probably GPU coil whine. It gets very annoying at times but at least it isn't harmful. Thank you for the help!