Using VPN frequently question

f23948
Go to solution Solved by tkitch,
29 minutes ago, f23948 said:

Trackers 

a VPN doesn't really stop those.  

Cookies and PC Side trackers ignore VPNs and continue to work as desired.  

Do I need to keep VPN enabled at all times while using my Google account?

Not really, but it saves from having to disconnect and reconnect and the few minutes a day that you lose with the VPN is more than made up by the security offered.

I constantly leave mine on, if that's worth anything and have seen no problems other than the rare case of slower downloading of large 500Mb+ files and not even then usually.

I do recommend however that you avoid the "free" VPN's and at least try those that offer free limited time. The one that I use is a paid version of Proton VPN and they offer free service with limited connections, but other than that is been reliable and trouble free.

There are a number of other highly rated one so its best to shop around and try them if the offer a free trial service, but it's always best to check their reputation first.

10 minutes ago, Thomas4 said:

Not really, but it saves from having to disconnect and reconnect and the few minutes a day that you lose with the VPN is more than made up by the security offered.

I constantly leave mine on, if that's worth anything and have seen no problems other than the rare case of slower downloading of large 500Mb+ files and not even then usually.

I do recommend however that you avoid the "free" VPN's and at least try those that offer free limited time. The one that I use is a paid version of Proton VPN and they offer free service with limited connections, but other than that is been reliable and trouble free.

There are a number of other highly rated one so its best to shop around and try them if the offer a free trial service, but it's always best to check their reputation first.

i'm using paid IPVanish VPN

What is your goal when using the VPN? google will know all of your data and the VPN doesn't matter. If you don't use a VPN, the ISP and other people between you can google can only see your going to google. They don't know what data your accessing or what web pages your browsing(they know www.google.com but don't know what you searched for for example)

58 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is your goal when using the VPN? google will know all of your data and the VPN doesn't matter. If you don't use a VPN, the ISP and other people between you can google can only see your going to google. They don't know what data your accessing or what web pages your browsing(they know www.google.com but don't know what you searched for for example)

This… 

Why are you using a VPN? Do you actually need a VPN? If your using it to connect to google, unless you live somewhere where google is blocked and your trying to get around a national firewall, you probably don’t need to tunnel your traffic to google… what are you trying to protect from?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

What am I trying to protect. My personal data from the hands of the likes of Google, my ISP, any Tom, Dick, and Harry who is going around sniffing data, any governmental entity who has there tools in the data stream at my ISP or who only has to knock on the door and simply request it, or any individual who has friends that will gladly ask for the data.

It's not that I'm doing anythig that I need to hide, it's simply that no one needs to know.

And, slightly paraphrase what  someone once said, "I'm not paranoid, I know that someone's out there looking to get me."

10 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

This… 

Why are you using a VPN? Do you actually need a VPN? If your using it to connect to google, unless you live somewhere where google is blocked and your trying to get around a national firewall, you probably don’t need to tunnel your traffic to google… what are you trying to protect from?

Trackers 

2 hours ago, Thomas4 said:

What am I trying to protect. My personal data from the hands of the likes of Google, my ISP, any Tom, Dick, and Harry who is going around sniffing data, any governmental entity who has there tools in the data stream at my ISP or who only has to knock on the door and simply request it, or any individual who has friends that will gladly ask for the data.

It's not that I'm doing anythig that I need to hide, it's simply that no one needs to know.

And, slightly paraphrase what  someone once said, "I'm not paranoid, I know that someone's out there looking to get me."

Your ISP does not know what spesific thing you look at if you aren't using VPN. They can see that you visit YouTube, but they can't see what spesific video you are watching. They can see you visit this forum, but not the spesific thread you are looking at.

Main thing VPN does is tho move that non spesific information to the VPN, so is that information you try to hide from your ISP?

9 minutes ago, f23948 said:

Trackers 

They use cookies and auto log in on account most of the time and VPN doesn't make a difference on that.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, Mihle said:

They use cookies and auto log in on account most of the time and VPN doesn't make a difference on that.

This…

A VPN can be part of a solution to stay anonymous on the internet, but without taking very, VERY drastic steps besides just the VPN, this does effectively nothing to limit data being gathered on you; it’s just a way to slow down your connection and empty your wallet. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

29 minutes ago, f23948 said:

Trackers 

a VPN doesn't really stop those.  

Cookies and PC Side trackers ignore VPNs and continue to work as desired.