windows boot drive transplant

Indian pc builder
Go to solution Solved by ImorallySourcedElectrons,
1 hour ago, Indian pc builder said:

im willing to unplug all my other drives and just use the pc to install windows on  the drive but will the drive work in another pc once transplanted?

Yes, Windows - to its absolute credit - handles massively different hardware configurations like a champ, just make sure it has a network connection and let Windows Update do its job. What I would recommend is downloading the network, usb and chipset drivers for the target system ahead of time and putting them on the disk. That way if there would be an issue you should have a quick way out.

if i install windows on an ssd on one pc and then move that ssd to another completely different pc, will it still work the same and boot proprely?

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

Can he really not do an install from a cheap stick himself? And you do have to boot it on a computer and do the first part of the install on it. Windows isn't a fan of being installed onto a USB connected drive though.

Hook it up internally with YOUR other drives unplugged

When it does it's FIRST reboot, turn the PC off and send it in that state. Best bet.

26 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

i dont have the rest of the computer, only the drive

...genuinely why.

I guess you could try building a windows 10 ISO through Media Creation Tool, unplug all your other drives in your PC, and install it that way. External install is possible but its honestly more headache than internal, just make sure you dont put any activation code to avoid microsoft doing the funny and disable the code when it sees another board in another location.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

You can also find full VM disk images of Windows 10 and 11 on the MS website somewhere, you could probably just write those to an actual disk.

im willing to unplug all my other drives and just use the pc to install windows on  the drive but will the drive work in another pc once transplanted?

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

21 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

99% Yes it will work, I am always swapping installs from 1 pc to another

1 hour ago, Indian pc builder said:

Yes, Windows - to its absolute credit - handles massively different hardware configurations like a champ, just make sure it has a network connection and let Windows Update do its job. What I would recommend is downloading the network, usb and chipset drivers for the target system ahead of time and putting them on the disk. That way if there would be an issue you should have a quick way out.