Switching to Intel Arc - Conclusion!

Plouffe

OK, we tried it. It had its ups and downs but you know what... we're excited for Arc again... for some reason.

Buy an Intel Arc A770: https://geni.us/9IhkN5b

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

I like the long term testing and experiential reviews, and would like to see this become a regular type of video.

Would like to see multiple different members of the team give different opinions over time on all sorts of products.

That weird message might be a recent Windows 11 bug?

At least I have started seeing it after upgrading to a new PC with Windows 11 just this week. I did however carry over my GPU, which is an RX 6800XT. I also have no actual issues with the display though, so I just disabled USB notifications, which seems to have stopped the messages.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

It is nice to hear that Intel is still taking the Arc GPUs seriously and isn't seeming to give up on them yet.

Wonder how much more they can push via driver improvements before the hardware becomes the actual bottleneck. Also curious to what the next generation holds.

If things pan out decently, we might have a bit more competition in the GPU space once more.

Oh thank heavens the overlay going away. It freaking installed on my recent LG GRAM and is making me crazy!!!

4 hours ago, themrsbusta said:

Now switch to a Radeon RX 7900 XTX for a month 🤷‍♂️👀

I'm pretty sure they are already doing that. LnL talked about installation issues in the last WAN show

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

5 hours ago, themrsbusta said:

Now switch to a Radeon RX 7900 XTX for a month 🤷‍♂️👀

So like using a normal card? What would be the point? AMD doesnt have intel's issues (yet for some reason people still flock to intel cards instead of giving amd a chance)

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

4 hours ago, xFluing said:

So like using a normal card? What would be the point? AMD doesnt have intel's issues (yet for some reason people still flock to intel cards instead of giving amd a chance)

The point is to give AMD a shot, since Linus have been avoiding them for quite some time due to delays caused by driver crashes ect. 

Also, given the recent pricing and such from Nvidia, he pledged that his next daily driver card would be an AMD. There are videos about this 🙂

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

14 hours ago, Nystemy said:

Also curious to what the next generation holds.

Hopefully good drivers at launch.

On 1/30/2023 at 12:30 PM, DeerDK said:

The point is to give AMD a shot, since Linus have been avoiding them for quite some time due to delays caused by driver crashes ect. 

Also, given the recent pricing and such from Nvidia, he pledged that his next daily driver card would be an AMD. There are videos about this 🙂

Im a dumbass 💀

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

2 hours ago, xFluing said:

Im a dumbass 💀

No worries. Happens to everyone. 🙂

Linus if you have hope about future of Intel GPU Drivers, well let me tell you a simple fact of life , i Knew it may shatter your life but somebody had to tell you that at some stage in your life.

There is no Santa Clause 

I learned it in 2011 with HD3000 that I tried to game on intel gpu and it repeated itself every time I tried it on any generation of intel gpus since and its not just the performance for me the performance is nothing , if I like a game as long as I get 15fps I crank up graphics details. the problem is intel categorically fail to render the graphic correctly and always there is glitches and missing elements .

funny part is they sometimes introduce those glitches in newer driver for older games that worked correctly on their drivers will just become not playable on the newer driver.

30 minutes ago, JEskandari said:

Linus if you have hope about future of Intel GPU Drivers, well let me tell you a simple fact of life , i Knew it may shatter your life but somebody had to tell you that at some stage in your life.

There is no Santa Clause 

I learned it in 2011 with HD3000 that I tried to game on intel gpu and it repeated itself every time I tried it on any generation of intel gpus since and its not just the performance for me the performance is nothing , if I like a game as long as I get 15fps I crank up graphics details. the problem is intel categorically fail to render the graphic correctly and always there is glitches and missing elements .

funny part is they sometimes introduce those glitches in newer driver for older games that worked correctly on their drivers will just become not playable on the newer driver.

Come on, man. You can't compare integrated graphics that were never intended to let people do anything more intensive than watch YouTube with a discrete GPU. You had vastly unrealistic expectations of integrated graphics and that's your problem. Do you understand the difference at all? Do you understand why Intel entering the discrete GPU market is potentially a huge deal in the long run even if their first offering is half-baked?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Seems like they quit the experiment a little too soon. Intel just released a driver update that improves DX9 performance considerably.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

3 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Seems like they quit the experiment a little too soon. Intel just released a driver update that improves DX9 performance considerably.

They had to draw the line somewhere, and if you account for time to produce the video they probably actually ended the experiment weeks ago.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Middcore said:

They had to draw the line somewhere, and if you account for time to produce the video they probably actually ended the experiment weeks ago.

Oh for sure. You can't just go on indefinitely, but it is unfortunate from their perspective that they just missed out on things being much better.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

Come on, man. You can't compare integrated graphics that were never intended to let people do anything more intensive than watch YouTube with a discrete GPU. You had vastly unrealistic expectations of integrated graphics and that's your problem. Do you understand the difference at all? Do you understand why Intel entering the discrete GPU market is potentially a huge deal in the long run even if their first offering is half-baked?

i don't expected of them to have a 60+fps but u expected  those integrated gpu to be able to show texture of a Dx8 game from 2002 or early Dx9 games (thats in 2011) and they failed as i said i didn't care about fps and by the way do you consider nVIDIA mx150 or AMD integrated as discrete level gpu ? they never had problem showing the texture of the old games .and later intel had problem with texture of later dx9 games that they previously had no problem showing

and intel entering discrete gpu on driver side is you are not supported if you want to play anything but dx12 unless they realized people are using some third party app to play older games (means last year games) 

and by the way intel integrated gpu have problem with youtube and hardware acceleration , so even if thats their u=intended use they also fail on that front 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 2:18 PM, JEskandari said:

i don't expected of them to have a 60+fps but u expected  those integrated gpu to be able to show texture of a Dx8 game from 2002 or early Dx9 games (thats in 2011) and they failed as i said i didn't care about fps and by the way do you consider nVIDIA mx150 or AMD integrated as discrete level gpu ? they never had problem showing the texture of the old games .and later intel had problem with texture of later dx9 games that they previously had no problem showing

and intel entering discrete gpu on driver side is you are not supported if you want to play anything but dx12 unless they realized people are using some third party app to play older games (means last year games) 

and by the way intel integrated gpu have problem with youtube and hardware acceleration , so even if thats their u=intended use they also fail on that front 

What you complaining about AMD has always been a second rate driver producer and Nvidia has become so arrogant and greedy that you have to forgo sending your kid to college to afford a GPU, and not to be left behind AMD is now over charging for their product as well and still putting out second rate drivers, at a snail's pace I might add.  I think Intel deserves a chance, the engineering is there and from what I see they are serious about getting the drivers up to snuff, I don't think this is some half baked Intel money grab plan.  This isn't some fly by night tech company its Intel and if they want in on the gaming GPU market there gonna get in.

On 2/23/2023 at 5:43 AM, John1272 said:

What you complaining about AMD has always been a second rate driver producer and Nvidia has become so arrogant and greedy that you have to forgo sending your kid to college to afford a GPU, and not to be left behind AMD is now over charging for their product as well and still putting out second rate drivers, at a snail's pace I might add.  I think Intel deserves a chance, the engineering is there and from what I see they are serious about getting the drivers up to snuff, I don't think this is some half baked Intel money grab plan.  This isn't some fly by night tech company its Intel and if they want in on the gaming GPU market there gonna get in.

as far as I'm aware i didn't complain about AMD driver , the complain is about intel driver and their shitty support for older games