Huawei Matebook Pro X with eGPU performing really slow

Alex23

Ok, so here is my dilema. I recently purchased a eGPU and GPU (Razer Core X, Nvidia Founder Edition 3070) for my 2021 Huawei Matebook Pro X, so I can use it as a sort or desktop gaming PC. Everything should work fine connected via Thunderbolt 4 cable, but my PC performance is slow and even crappier in games. Any suggestions what might cause that? I knew the 3070 wouldn't run as fast as in a desktop PC, but I wasn't expecting this slow performance. I'll let the specs of the laptop in an image below. All drivers and everything are up to date. 

Captura de pantalla 2023-01-27 184953.jpg

It's a 4c/8t i7 that during intensive games when all cores are loaded will run at around 2,2ghz due to tdp and cooling restrictions.

Then you have the pcie 3.0x4 limit AT BEST for thunderbolt.

Hows performance in what way is it lacking?

What games? What are your CPU and GPU temps while gaming? Are you certain that the game is running on the eGPU?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

It is slow for everything, even when using chrome. I made sure I wasn't using the integrated GPU disabling it, but same thing. Temperatures and usage are very low, the GPU never reaches temps above 50 C for example, and CPU and GPU are around 30-40%. I'm also not using very demanding games, like league or overwatch 2, which the PC can run no problem without the eGPU

21 hours ago, jaslion said:

It's a 4c/8t i7 that during intensive games when all cores are loaded will run at around 2,2ghz due to tdp and cooling restrictions.

Then you have the pcie 3.0x4 limit AT BEST for thunderbolt.

Hows performance in what way is it lacking?

Really slow even for browsing. How can I improve the thunderbolt connection then?

3 hours ago, Alex23 said:

Really slow even for browsing. How can I improve the thunderbolt connection then?

Not

Then what could it be? I alreday knew the card was not going to perform as if it was connected inside a desktop PC, but the performance now is lower than it used to be without the eGPU. Is there anything else I can provide regarding this?

(I'm not confident in my English level. Although I can understand it, I'm afraid that I may make a grammar mistake when typing, so I use Google Translate) Hello, I'm a Chinese netizen. Few people in China will buy a Matebook Pro X, I don’t know your pricing, but in China a Matebook Pro X can buy a top-end ROG Zephyrus G16 or ROG Strix G, so we all scold Huawei for being too expensive, but in China it’s definitely There are still a lot of people who bought it, so I searched for you on Chinese forums. The first is the connection problem you mentioned. I checked the official website, and there is a webpage that explains connection-related matters https://consumer.huawei. com/cn/support/content/zh-cn00726636/
I don't know if you have access, but I think you have a good connection, updated drivers, and disabled integrated graphics. Then I saw a Huawei official website
https://consumer.huawei.com/cn/support/content/zh-cn00744341/
It says "Huawei Windows computer runs or freezes or does not run smoothly as a whole.
problem phenomenon
Computer runs slowly and freezes.

problem causes
Windows system visual effect setting problems cause freezing.
Too many startup items will affect the boot speed.
Multiple third-party security software or computer housekeeping software installed, there may be product conflicts, causing the computer system to freeze.
The computer has not cleaned up the junk files for a long time, resulting in more and more resources being taken up, causing the computer to freeze.
The Windows update service downloads and installs patch files in the background, occupying system resources and causing the computer to be unsmooth.
The ambient temperature is too high or the vents are blocked, resulting in poor heat dissipation of the system and performance degradation.
solution
Set the Windows system visual effect to the best performance and restart the computer to try, the specific steps are as follows:
Right-click This PC to open Properties, click System > System Information on the left
Click Advanced System Settings under Device Specifications. Then click Settings under Performance. Under Visual Effects, select Adjust for best performance, then check Smooth screen font edges, automatically switch to Custom, and click OK. "

To be honest, I saw the pictures you posted, and I'm basically sure that these things won't help, because I saw a lot of complaints on Chinese forums, but not many ideas, and I'm not a Huawei user, and my ability is limited The level is average, but I found and translated many users who bought matebook X pro like you, I hope it can at least make you feel better.

PS:images are from "heartfelt voice Community—Huawei's Roman Forum"
That's what Huawei said

image.png.6794ac65c8c4b5fe5430f21392ec0075.png

image1

image.thumb.png.e416352d81173e079b325532e6d2d559.png

“Can the Matebook X pro be any worse? As a front-line terminal salesperson, I need to process a large amount of data every day. Every time I open excel, I am afraid that the white screen will turn around...

No, I haven’t started working overtime yet, and I have been stuck 4/5 times in a row when opening two forms. I often see a lot of complaints about the matebook on the Internet and even in my heart, especially in terms of data processing. I have never seen any improvement.

Please see the PC product manager brother who saw this post, and he must pass on this problem online; he wanted to work overtime late at night but was tossed and collapsed by multiple flashbacks and freezes... As a terminal front-line salesperson Everyone has such a big "hate that iron is not steel" towards our most flagship PC products, how can we get consumers' recognition of our product performance?

Really, brothers in the PC product line, Hongmeng has indeed brought strong user stickiness to our terminal products, especially PC products, but no matter how good Hongmeng is, product performance is still the first consideration for most users when choosing a product, please be sure Be sure to listen to the voices of the front line, and listen to the voices of our dear users who firmly choose Huawei products!

PS: I sincerely hope that all our terminal products will be better and better, and closer to users!”

image2

image.thumb.png.34d220648cbc8d919dd54e8a8895bdc5.png

Alas, I don’t want to say anything. Excel crashes are more common than walking and eating. If you don’t get stuck several times a day, it’s not called Matebook X pro.

image 3

image.thumb.png.521a52b4d9d7e044ba7afe8a8fc39280.png

I locked the screen the night before and got off work, and the next day I often had to wait for more than five minutes to get into the desktop, and I often couldn’t get in! For R&D, after get off work the day before, there are N background IDEs running and the screen is locked directly, so that coding can be seamlessly continued the next day! ! ! From HarmonyOS devices

Ok, perfect, thanks a lot with the answers 😄