Spacebar, Letters N and B and Arrow Keys Sometimes Not Working?

paulyron

I use an external wired keyboard with my laptop which is connected to 2 external monitors.  I recently went to lock my computer.  Then I typed in my windows pin/password wrong multiple times.  I had no idea how this happened.  Now because of that, I had to restart my laptop.  I could click on restart laptop and then restarted it.  

After this, I am on my bitlocker pin page.  It showed incorrect bitlocker pin and I was confused why.  Then I decided to type my bitlocker pin on the laptop keyboard and it worked.  Then when it went to the windows log in screen where you have to enter your windows pin/password, I notice it didn't work with the keyboard.  Then when typing it on laptop keyboard it worked.  I then noticed several keys did not work.  It is the spacebar, n and b keys and also some of the arrow keys.  The up arrow key worked for some reason.  I then pressed it many times and it didn't work.  Then a bit later, it worked.  Are these buttons stuck or something?  Now my wired keyboard... is very old and dirty.  There is literally dirt and trash inside the keys in the keyboard.  The thing is I find this keyboard very comfortable so that is why I still use it.  It is from an old dell xps 8100 desktop from over a decade ago and this keyboard is comfortable.

Now at the moment, the keys do work.  But if it doesn't work again, is this 100% the external keyboard if my laptop keys work without any issue?  Is it possible because I entered my windows password wrong many times, this occurred?  However, I think that isn't the case since when trying to enter my windows pin/password when computer is locked, those keys already didn't work?  The pin/password does contain either the b or n letter etc.  This is certainly not a driver issue then again and it has to be the external keyboard?  Is there a way to clean it or remove all the dirt and trash from it?  I did wipe it with alcohol and tissue but you can't get into the dirty inside.  It is literally like trash and dirty inside the keyboard.

So as of now, those buttons sometimes doesn't work and then work a bit later on.  I have lot of dirt, inside the keyboard but it has been like that for a long time though.  So is this a stuck key or something else?

With many keyboards, you can just pull off the keycaps. Ancient keyboards might have had some metal in there, making it highly annoying to put back. But with more modern ones (like yours probably, didn't look it up), it's way more easy to pull keycaps and put them back.

Before you start pulling off all keycaps, start with a few keys you almost never use. Like "scroll lock" or "pause/break". That way, if things go wrong, you didn't cripple your board completely. Take a picture of your keyboard before you do this, so you know where every keycap is supposed to go back to.  Then just clean the darn thing to the best of your abilities.

If this didn't help, you could also get your screwdriver out, and take the keyboard appart, to give it a REALLY good clean.

*I myself got one of those Razer keyboards, with per-key RGB. But mine was fake-mechanical. It had metal clips, just only to make clickety click sounds. And it was LOUD. I removed all my keys, and I removed all those metal clips. Now it's just a mechanical keyboard, and I have zero issues typing. I also had zero issues removing all keys and putting them back. If and when I want to clean my keyboard, I can repeat all of this and give it another deep clean.

Forgot to mention. My GF has the same keyboard. I forced her to do the same keyboard mod as I did, and send pics as proof. She has 2 left hands, but managed to complete the mod without any issues. Pulling off keycaps is easy. Just tripple check with some not-used keys first to make sure it's not some next-level trash-tier keycap.

1 hour ago, paulyron said:

So as of now, those buttons sometimes doesn't work and then work a bit later on.  I have lot of dirt, inside the keyboard but it has been like that for a long time though.  So is this a stuck key or something else?

You got your answer, clean your old dirty kb or replace it...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Dell keyboard from old dell xps 8100 desktop from back then.

Dell SK 8165 is the keyboard.

There is everything you can imagine inside the keys.  

The thing is i don't want to risk damaging the keyboard as i cannot buy another english keyboard here.  Also want keyboard like this.

As of now, the letters b, n, diagonal, arrow keys do not work.  

So me posting a picture of my keyboard you can give me the best advice here?  Thing is if i was in us now, i can buy another one but can't here so sort of don't want to risk damaging the other keys.

Any point in this below?  Or is this the specific keys?

Run DISM and SFC if have not done so.

Check in Device Manager as to what Driver is being used for it.   If it is a windows Driver from 2006 then that is possible issue as if taking Drivers from Windows Update it has replaced

it.

A common cure for keyboard and mice issues is to delete the driver in Device Manager and to reboot. It will be recreated at start up.

Is this 100% my external keyboard?  Possible it is some fn function i turned off or anything like that?  Or sticky keys turned off?

Well i can't get an english keyboard here at the moment.  Would be able when i am in the US.

Just noticed the subtract button on the keyboard keypad doesn't work either.  Any reason why that key doesn't work when not around same location as other keys?

Anyone know how to find a very similar keyboard like this?  Used it for years because its comfortable.  There is a small area at the bottom of the keyboard and it isn't overdoing it like if there is a huge palmrest on it.  The previous external keyboard i had before this was very uncomfortable.  Was from an even older dell desktop where the keyboard is very thin where the keys are like a typewriter?  Anyone know what i mean by that?  There was also no area below the bottom of the keyboard either.  So that is why i used this keyboard for so long because it is comfortable.

• 2 months later...

Okay so just remove a few keys i don't use and then how i get dirt or dust out of each key?  Just pour it on the table?

Then do this with every key individualy?

So i don't need any tools at?  The back of keyboard, there are several screws so no need to open it that way?  Again im a newbie at this so want to do it simplest way possible.