How do you properly install Nvidia drivers?

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

Nowadays, if you connect the computer to the Internet, Windows is going to install drivers whether you want it to or not. I've found that it's better to install Windows, let it do all its Windows updates, and then afterwards, grab the Nvidia drivers and do a clean install.

You could also keep the computer disconnected from the Internet and then install Nvidia drivers off a flash drive downloaded from another computer, but honestly either way is equally valid.

I've heard online that you have to install nvidia drivers before windows installs them because windows messes things up, but other people say you have to let windows finish up with all updates first because the new drivers rely on older drivers or expect you to have them or something, how would you do it?

Nowadays, if you connect the computer to the Internet, Windows is going to install drivers whether you want it to or not. I've found that it's better to install Windows, let it do all its Windows updates, and then afterwards, grab the Nvidia drivers and do a clean install.

You could also keep the computer disconnected from the Internet and then install Nvidia drivers off a flash drive downloaded from another computer, but honestly either way is equally valid.

I install my drivers as soon as I can because the rest of the system needs to be brought back to normal usability. Never had any issue! This is an unnecessary thing to worry about imo.

Just now, YoungBlade said:

Oh thats good to hear! I thought doing it wrong would cause a lot of issues like BSOD or performance issues, thank you for sharing your experiance! 

1 minute ago, Flux Azreal said:

I've heard online that you have to install nvidia drivers before windows installs them because windows messes things up, but other people say you have to let windows finish up with all updates first because the new drivers rely on older drivers or expect you to have them or something, how would you do it?

If you have already downloaded the Nvidia driver package then download DDU from Guru3d website, disconnect internet (Wifi and Lan), reboot into safe mode, use DDU to clean all current graphics drivers.

Keep internet disconnected while restarting after DDU then run the Nvidia graphics driver install (at this point you can install just the driver or add GFE). Once Nvidia drivers are installed reconnect internet, Windows should then install/ update the Nvidia control panel. You can do a final reboot if you want before making any graphics option changes, but not strictly needed. Done.

Just now, DigitalGoat said:

If you have already downloaded the Nvidia driver package then download DDU from Guru3d website, disconnect internet (Wifi and Lan), reboot into safe mode, use DDU to clean all current graphics drivers.

Keep internet disconnected while restarting after DDU then run the Nvidia graphics driver install (at this point you can install just the driver or add GFE). Once Nvidia drivers are installed reconnect internet, Windows should then install/ update the Nvidia control panel. You can do a final reboot if you want before making any graphics option changes, but not strictly needed. Done.

This is excellent thank you so much!

Just now, Flux Azreal said:

This is excellent thank you so much!

You can of course just install the newer drivers over the older ones as mentioned by others and you will probably be fine, but if you are encountering issues currently or after the install or just want the cleanest start possible use the method I listed. Both methods are perfectly valid.