OMEN by HP 15-ce003la with GTX 1060 seems to boot when powered on, but the main display doesn't show an image.

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

you've done everything but step one...

perhaps in the process of replacing the battery, the display cable got nudged, and it's not making propper contact anymore.

or, potentially the same for the lid  closed sensor, if that's not embedded on the motherboard itself.

TL DR: It is really anoying my computer can't work as I press the power button. seems to boot, but no image is shown

Issue started when I had to replace the battery since the original got swollen (I got an OEM replacement) and just recently figured out how to get it calibratedomen1.jpg.a63733373d4ccfbb3e5d1091a4f20bc4.jpg

This seems to be a known issue to HP, because they have a YouTube guide and a document in the Customer Support Knowledge Base on how to fix this. Yet, every single time I want to power up my laptop this happens and I have force-poweroff the device several times and do the "reset" 4-5 times before see an image.

omen2.thumb.jpg.5ff9763b774415f40d91c83f3dd50678.jpgI stoped using the secondary screen altogether when trying to boot, otherwhise the main screen never gets recognized, not even in Windows

As for the gpu drivers:

When the battery was replaced, I used to get CMOS errors before entrering the os, yet the flashing of the BIOS seemed succesful. I went ahead and did a fresh windows install anywaw, so i think that's how i got the gpu drivers the first time (via Windows Update).

Since that didin't work, I disabled them and got the propper ones from the NVIDIA website. Now I'm running Ver 528.02.

Of course that isn't working either, so I tried to install the NVIDIA driver from HP Support but got rejected because it seems Ver. 398.36 is "not compatible with my Windows version".

I figured I could try to restore the BIOS yet that is also a fail: "BIOS recovery (500)"

well... what if I do this manualy, as I did to repair the CMOS error... well... for whatever reason the program is not even launching! whats up with that?

perhaps in the process of replacing the battery, the display cable got nudged, and it's not making propper contact anymore.

or, potentially the same for the lid  closed sensor, if that's not embedded on the motherboard itself.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

The connections look fine to the eye and seem propperly secured and  the wierd thing is that after a couple of failed attepts of starting the thing... It actually runs fine... which makes me belive it isn't a hardware issue photo_2023-01-24_16-04-49.thumb.jpg.40e34c2abe74d085130ec20cffbf4eb8.jpg

2 minutes ago, Kurios said:

The connections look fine to the eye and seem propperly secured and  the wierd thing is that after a couple of failed attepts of starting the thing... It actually runs fine... which makes me belive it isn't a hardware issue photo_2023-01-24_16-04-49.thumb.jpg.40e34c2abe74d085130ec20cffbf4eb8.jpg

if the problems started after a battery swap, i'd make sure to open it up again and just give all the connectors a good once over.

also, try to update bios from within the bios, i assume since omen is a premium support device, they have bothered to put the premium bios on those things, and it has that possibility.

22 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if the problems started after a battery swap, i'd make sure to open it up again and just give all the connectors a good once over.

also, try to update bios from within the bios, i assume since omen is a premium support device, they have bothered to put the premium bios on those things, and it has that possibility.

I'll give the oppening this another shot, please whish me luck.

about the BIOS, It doesn' seem it has the opption to update within itself... and i am unable to create a usb to flash it because well, as I shown, the program doesn't run in the omen but it also didn't want to run in my DELL

33 minutes ago, manikyath said:

bear in mind this is as much as i can disasamble the thing

4 minutes ago, Kurios said:

I'll give the oppening this another shot, please whish me luck.

about the BIOS, It doesn' seem it has the opption to update within itself... and i am unable to create a usb to flash it because well, as I shown, the program doesn't run in the omen but it also didn't want to run in my DELL

HP does have "support assistant" it's WAY bloated for a driver utility, but it should at least be able to guide you trough stuff like battery calibration and bios updates (and any odd-ball drivers..) if needed.

https://support.hp.com/lamerica_nsc_carib-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/omen-by-hp-15-ce000-laptop-pc/15551437/model/17218624/swItemId/ob-275755-1

if you're not fond of "dumbed down for the consumer" there's also HP Image Assistant, it doesnt say it'll support omen, but if it does, it's great (if not a bit dense...)

https://ftp.ext.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HPIA.html

11 minutes ago, manikyath said:

HP does have "support assistant" it's WAY bloated for a driver utility, but it should at least be able to guide you trough stuff like battery calibration and bios updates (and any odd-ball drivers..) if needed.

https://support.hp.com/lamerica_nsc_carib-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/omen-by-hp-15-ce000-laptop-pc/15551437/model/17218624/swItemId/ob-275755-1

if you're not fond of "dumbed down for the consumer" there's also HP Image Assistant, it doesnt say it'll support omen, but if it does, it's great (if not a bit dense...)

https://ftp.ext.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HPIA.html

I tried downloading and running the bios update from the "support assitant" but nothing happens... i really don't understand why the heck not!

1 hour ago, Kurios said:

well... what if I do this manualy, as I did to repair the CMOS error... well... for whatever reason the program is not even launching! whats up with that?

about the image assistant... saddly there is no omen supported

2 minutes ago, Kurios said:

I tried downloading and running the bios update from the "support assitant" but nothing happens... i really don't understand why the heck not!

it should have instructions.. but i guess that broke *again*.

there's some c:\hpsa sort of folder, in there is the kb*** for the bios update, in there is a hpbiosupdrec.exe file or something of that nature if i recall correctly.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it should have instructions.. but i guess that broke *again*.

there's some c:\hpsa sort of folder, in there is the kb*** for the bios update, in there is a hpbiosupdrec.exe file or something of that nature if i recall correctly.

if you mean running it from here... also broken broken.png.eddac260b775509075fda604d8a2baa4.png

1 minute ago, Kurios said:

if you mean running it from here... also broken broken.png.eddac260b775509075fda604d8a2baa4.png

that.. would be incredible.. sounds like a broken windows install if anything.

cmd as admin the following stuff:

sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

while that runs, check out event viewer if there's any spicy stuff in the application or system log.

36 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that.. would be incredible.. sounds like a broken windows install if anything.

cmd as admin the following stuff:

sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

while that runs, check out event viewer if there's any spicy stuff in the application or system log.

The first run seemed to have picked up some errors, now they are al fixed
BTW: rebooting the computer when it is runing alright doesn't cause any issues, it boots fine.

i say this because i did a second run and didn't detect anything yet the BIOS_Update.exe is still not working... not after reboot, not even in windows safe mode!

i'm acctualy thinking in formatting everything again and do a clean install of windows... again... and see if then and there i can reinstall the bios...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 4:01 PM, manikyath said:

Dude... You have no idea how angry I am... I didn't want to dissasamble the thing just blind... I wanted to be sure which was the damm display connector... This helped a lot

https://youtu.be/ptmlVrNejPs

It turns out it was never ever disconected, it was quite secure... But the pins... Yeah... They were "in diferent shades of gold" ... The connection was freking dirty! It just took a bit of alcohol and... Like a charm