New Home - Setting up home media

exyia

Ok so I'm finally situated/moved into my new house (yay on being a home owner now).

Now I have full control over how to setup my home media. I don't follow networking, so I'm clueless. Thought I would throw this up for some ideas

Few things I have on my mind

- I have a Thermaltake Level 10 GT I would like to use for a home server (main rig is coming out, lots of storage options), and probably eventually setup for a home security cameras

- I would like to move towards storage on this server and remove the clutter and hassle of storage in individual rigs (especially my main so I can use more radiators)

- I do NOT have a cable TV service and really don't plan on getting one

- My main rig will be in my room and would be the only one connected by ethernet; rest will be wireless

- My closet is HUGE, practically a panic room; plan to put the server in here

- Living room has a basic 40inch TV - have it play media from home server, and game streaming from my main PC when I want to lay on the couch would be nice

- Router/Modem combo (basic one from AT&T) is in the Kitchen

1. For router I was planning on the ASUS RT-N66U. Seems strong enough for what I want unless someone can recommend better or justify the higher end, higher cost ~$200 routers for my application. For what I'm looking to do, it doesn't seem like I'm asking a lot and the $200 category of higher end routers seem overkill

2. Since my network storage is an actual computer, what options do I have for an OS? I have no linux experience. I am willing to learn Linux if it can translate to a seamless network experience (my roommate is not tech inclined and I don't want to be playing tech support 24/7 for her). Otherwise, am I just forced into buying another windows OS?

3. Streaming to the TV

- There's the obvious option of building a small HTPC to handle the TV media

- nVidia Shield has intrigued me because of how seamless and easy PC streaming would be, but I guess streaming media from the home server is a different story

- steamOS (beta as of now) - anyone tried? still too beta to mess with?

put the modem in bridge mode so you can use n66's powerful cpu

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Right.  

The router your thinking of getting is a "router"  so connecting that to another "router"  will give you 2 diferent networks.  So if you connected stuff to the first one (the modem/ router) then you wouldnt be able to access anything on your new Asus router. and visa versa.  you will still be able to access the internet ext just if you had something connected on the first one you couldnt get to stuff on the second one.  ( i hope i have explained that correctly )

You can allways build your own router. say stick PFsense on a VM on your server and run all your networking though that. Just depends how willing you are to lean network stuffs.

What i would do is get a wireless access point and a switch and just connect it that way.  Another thing to think about is how much your internal network is going to be used.  how may things will be requesting and or transfuring data at the same time. and how fast you want it to be.

Defiantly make sure your NIC's are gigabit and your using at least CAT5E cable 

For an OS. If all your other PC's are windows bassed then your probably better off going with that for simplicity.  its easy to setup things like networked shared drives and user permissions in windows. although make sure you get the version that will support you doing that.

There are always better more advanced ways to do home storage and server stuff but for the sake of usability and simplicity what i have suggested would sufice. 

Why did i suggest a wireless access point?   Well your router provided by your ISP all ready does all of your routing for you.  having a wireless access point means you can allays add more easly if you need to, just plug the ethernet and power in. and away you go.   This way you can be sure that everything is on one network and avoid more problems in the future ( always good if you don't have that much knowledge of networks )  You can stick access points where ever in your hose and not have any issues.  this is my prefured method compared to bridges etc. as you dont then skimp on those precious MB of transfure speeds

If you wanted to be realy cool you could go for wireless access points that are powered by POE  ( power over ethernet) so you just put them anywhere. one cable.  Allthough the gigabit siwtches that support POE are allways more expensive than the ones without. 

Im open to any questions. thoughts etc.

For Storage solution - could look at the DIY. A basic build of ubuntu will work, as well as freenas, unraid, etc... I have my unraid with all the media and the the PLEX plugin to make it available to everything else. If you have a smart-tv or blue-ray, they can surf to the plex server and stream that way, or get yourself a simple chromecast stick... or an HTPC...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

- you need either a Smart TV or a TV & a media player (i'm not talking about a DVD/blu-ray player but a media player... AppleTV, WD TV Live, Roku 3, etc etc etc.

- only need 1 router.  Need to support good wireless standards. 802.11n/ac are good standards.

- OS.  Linux distro's are good.  Ubuntu Server 12.xx - 14.xx are good.  Steady learning curve, free, light-weight.  Follow youtube vids and you won't get gray hairs.  You should research the OS side of things more than anything else really.  Plenty of free alternatives if you want to choose something else.

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud